Digital Sound
Hi, I don't know if this is a common issue (or a recognised bug), but I'm having trouble getting the digital sound working through the Windows version of XBMC.

When the sound is set to Analog, it plays fine - but obviously not in surround - but when I switch to digital (and tick the AC3 and DTS boxes) it plays the video but without any sound. I have tried this with several different file formats (MKV, VOB, WMV) and it's the same across all of them.

Previously, I was using Vista Media Center and I had it set up so that all of those file formats played fine. My sound card is the X-Plosion 7.1 and I'm running Windows Vista 32. I connect to my Sony Amp via a Toslink cable.

If anyone has had similar problems - or is familar with using the X-Plosion sound card with XBMC - help would be appreciated. Sorry I can't be more specific; when it comes to audio, I'm not that great Blush
Hi,

This is strange and not sure how much it will help but I had similar problems with my mobo onboard sound via HDMI, then had the same problem with the onboard sound with my Ati 3870 too.

HOWEVER - I popped in an X-Plosion 7.1 and I now get perfect digital sound. Huh

Both DD and DTS passthrough perfectly and standard PCM audio is converted to DD5.1 or DTS via the card itself.

Audio settings in XBMC are set to digital and AC3 and DTS ticked just like you - so I've no idea what's different in my setup to yours other than I'm running 32bit XP SP3 rather than Vista.

The good news is that your card should be capable of working fine with XBMC the bad news is you haven't got much info to go on for sorting it out.
The sound output on XBMC for win32 is still a little bit rudimentary. The problem is that I'm not very experienced in it and missing the equipment for testing (I just don't need it).
If any win dev thinks he could improve this a little I would really appreciate it.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Hi Wiso,

I can't help with dev but as you can see above on my HTPC I have 3 digital output options - one of which works, two of which don't. If there's any debug info etc I can supply that will help you or another dev then please let me know.

cheers
Hando, thanks for the information. Appreciated.

Just a quick question. What sound settings are you using for the soundcard itself? I've always been a bit confused with the X-Plosion's set-up. When I go to sound properties in Windows I'm offered two seperate output options - Speakers and something else ("X-Plosion" I think - sorry, I'm not at my home PC right now). I always have "Speakers" selected. Is this the same as you?

There is also the actual driver software that comes with the card. I have SPDIF turned on and always have the "DTS" option selected (which means my amp is constantly showing a DTS source regardless of what I play).

Ideally, what I'd really like is for my PC to handle surround sound in the same way as my DVD player and games consoles by choosing the output (5.1, DTS etc) based on what I'm watching/playing/listening to. Not sure if this makes sense Confused

I thought I'd just be able to stick the sound card in my PC, play a movie that's encoded in 5.1 (or load a game that's got 5.1) and it'll show up on my amp as the relevant audio stream and play through my home theatre system.
Ginger,

Sounds like your card is not set up in the software to do passthrough. Even when I have DTS enabled - those movies with DD 5.1 come through the amp as DD5.1 NOT DTS.

I'm not at home either right now - but I will try to take a look and/or screenshots of my xplosion control panel setup when I get back.
That would be great. Thanks!
hi guys, i'm not home to test right now either but i think its the fact you are setting your default sound device (in vista) to SPEAKERS

the other one is the digital output interface - this is the one you need to set it to

hope that helps you Smile
Ginger,

Nod Fanclub's advice sounds like the solution you need. Let us know how you get on.
Some good news! Through having this problem, I think I've finally worked out how my sound card works Laugh

In my driver software I always had the DTS option ticked, thinking that this was the only way to get surround sound working. I think this is what was screwing up XBMC. If I switch my output to PCM it takes the file that I'm trying to play and then sitches to either AC3 or DTS dependant on what the file contains. This option enables digital sound in XBMC now. Great stuff! Switching to "Digital" rather than "Speakers" in my audio properties helped solve this too.

One other issue that I've noticed - and I think this is related to XBMC - is WMV playback. My WMVs with AC3 don't have sound when I try to play them through the media center. I'll try the new version of XBMC that's just been uploaded and see if it helps.

I can live with this though. My MKVs and Vobs are running fine.

Thanks for the help guys. Good stuff!
Good news - props to fanclub for sorting you out. BTW I do have DTS ticked on my sound card settings and I still get AC3 passed through properly as DD5.1 not DTS. So you might be able to tick that box again as I think it was the "speaker" thing that really made the difference.

But then again - if it's working for you now maybe best not to fiddle anymore Laugh
no probs Smile

the only drawback to having digital output as the default device is that the windows volume control has no effect when you try to turn sound up/down whilst a digital track is playing (instead you have to use your receiver's volume control)

however this isnt an issue in xbmc if you use the internal volume control Big Grin

i personally still use my receiver's volume control for all sound but a lot of people prefer to be able too do it all from the one remote
I noticed that about the volume control. Not too much of a big deal though.

One other thing. When I load up the X-Plosion driver software (where it's set to PCM), the little output device diagram at the bottom-right of the window is only showing 2 speakers when in fact I have the 5.1 set up. Is this normal, or should I have all speakers visible? When I set it to Dolby Digital Live or DTS all of the speakers appear, it's just when it's set to PCM it only shows 2.

Just wanted to know if this is how it should be?

Once again, thanks for th help.
this happens for me too, one two systems

the reason for this i'm not 100% sure on, but i think it's because since you're 'passing through' all digital tracks to the receiver then the only thing left for windows to handle is stereo... hence 2 channels max

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Digital Sound1