• 22(current)
[RELEASE] iTunes and iPhoto integration plugins for XBMC
im loving the plugins scene recently on xbmc, especially with the new addon system and ease of installation. xbmc plugins are by far better than plex plugins at this point, more professionally developed. i do have one thing that im missing, which is the itunes plugin. im surprised there is no itunes plugin on xbmc considering plex ahs had it for a while. i realize the code has diverged recently but its still the same xbmc code base. any possibility og developign thi splugin please?
any progressing geting this plugin to work on itunes 10 and dharma rc?
I've not read through all of this thread but this idea might be useful to some Mac users.

I have been using MacFUSE along with iphotofs and itunesfs to create system volumes that represent my music and photo libraries.

This gives XBMC a great way to access iPhoto in a more native way than an add-on. For example, I can choose any album or event to use with the standard slideshow screensaver.

As for iTunes, the only advantage this provides to those who use XBMC's music library over just pointing XBMC at your iTunes music folder is when you delete a song from iTunes but do not put it in the trash. In this unlikely situation the song would remain on your computer and therefore in XBMC. However for those who do not use library mode it is a nice way to see playlists, although I have not used it in this way myself.

So for iTunes I believe a suitable add-on would be better but it may be useful for some.

Oh and if I have to use Finder to install it I'm not installing it. XBMC has repos and auto-updated add-ons now, can we start using them?!
are there any plug ins out for xbmc?

greetings

Peter
Unfortunately, iTunes plug in is not compatible with latest Xbmc release. It was one of the reasons I suggested adding possibility to launch Front Row from Xbmc.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

Hi guys,
I'm struggling with the picture plugin in from XBMC.
I have syncronized 5 albums from my iphote libriary on my mac to my ATV.
Then I start XBMC on the ATV.
I have downloaded the iphoto plugin under XBMC. I press scan for picutures.
But I can not see any picture on XBMC.

When I swith back to ATVFlash I can see my photos under the menu photos.

Can anyone help me and tell me how I can get the iphoto plugin working.

Cheers,
Accu Wrote:Hi guys,
I'm struggling with the picture plugin in from XBMC.
I have syncronized 5 albums from my iphote libriary on my mac to my ATV.
Then I start XBMC on the ATV.
I have downloaded the iphoto plugin under XBMC. I press scan for picutures.
But I can not see any picture on XBMC.

When I swith back to ATVFlash I can see my photos under the menu photos.

Can anyone help me and tell me how I can get the iphoto plugin working.

Cheers,

Post here and provide a link to pastebin with your debug log.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

ok will do but how do I get to the debug log?
Great stuff, jingai ! I noticed that there's a current limitation of only having two sort options: DEFAULT and NAME. As far as I can tell, default also sorts things alphabetically. No idea whether it's a current limitation of the plugin or the skin (Alaska), but it would be great to be able to sort on the date of the photos. Any possibilities ?
Accu Wrote:ok will do but how do I get to the debug log?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=debug+log+xbmc

Wink
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

jingai Wrote:Just so everyone is aware though, the iTunes plugin there will not work with Dharma.

-Jonathan

Hi Everyone,

For those that are interested I've updated the iTunes plugin to work with the Dharma plugin model. I'm not a Python coder so the port is pretty basic.

Go to https://github.com/AlfredJKwack/plugin.audio.itunes to download the zip package and install it as per usual.

I've tried to replicate some of the features that were introduced on the iPhoto side by Jonathan (jingai). Check the readme and changelog files on github for further details.

Please let me know if you run into any issues. The github issue log is preferred but the forums are fine too. Laugh
You have no idea how long I've been waiting for an iTunes plugin to work again with xbmc. Should have been one of the first things to be programmer I'm surprised it took someone so long to update it, but I'm very thankful that you did it.

I installed it and have just been using it for couple of minutes and have a couple of comments and questions. Not sure if these are xbmc issues or skin issues.

1-import iTunes library option. Do I have to do this every time I want to update the plugin library say when i add a song to iTunes or a new playlist?

2-my selected visualization was iTunes visualization. When i play a song it says visualization not found. I disabled visualization for now.

3-I like the playlist icon. Is it possible to change the icons for the other items like artist etc to be similar style icons. I especially don't like the artist and album icons.

4- even thioughin my xbmc settings I've told it to play the next song, when I'm in a playlist and play a song, the next song does not play automatically.

5-in playlist I see song names in playlist. Possibility you could add it so when you're over a song name the bottom info pane(I'm using rapier skin) shows artist name as well.

6-possibility to add song view. So you get your whole music list similar to the ituens main music list.

7-in album view, the album names are listed, but the artist name is not added in front of that. Possibility to add artist name in front so one can quickly see who the album is by. Secondly, the albums are sorted by artist alphabetical order, which is fine, but in that case again would help to see artist in front of album name.

8-can't see album cover in album view.

9-linked to 6, in all my playlists I see the song name, but not artist name in front. I think it will be better if you can just make it so that each song also includes the artist name after that

10-I noticed that none of my playlists are sorted in the same order as sorted in iTunes. I.e. They're not sorted alphabetically, neither are they showing up in the same order as they are in iTunes.

I apologize it came down to ten points, this is by far the only plugin I need in xbmc, so I'm very excited someone finally fixed it and hoping it can get even better.

AlfredJKwack Wrote:Hi Everyone,

For those that are interested I've updated the iTunes plugin to work with the Dharma plugin model. I'm not a Python coder so the port is pretty basic.

Go to https://github.com/AlfredJKwack/plugin.audio.itunes to download the zip package and install it as per usual.

I've tried to replicate some of the features that were introduced on the iPhoto side by Jonathan (jingai). Check the readme and changelog files on github for further details.

Please let me know if you run into any issues. The github issue log is preferred but the forums are fine too. Laugh
You have no idea how long I've been waiting for an iTunes plugin to work again with xbmc. Should have been one of the first things to be programmer I'm surprised it took someone so long to update it, but I'm very thankful that you did it.

I installed it and have just been using it for couple of minutes and have a couple of comments and questions. Not sure if these are xbmc issues or skin issues.

1-import iTunes library option. Do I have to do this every time I want to update the plugin library say when i add a song to iTunes or a new playlist?

2-my selected visualization was iTunes visualization. When i play a song it says visualization not found. I disabled visualization for now.

3-I like the playlist icon. Is it possible to change the icons for the other items like artist etc to be similar style icons. I especially don't like the artist and album icons.

4- even thioughin my xbmc settings I've told it to play the next song, when I'm in a playlist and play a song, the next song does not play automatically.

5-in playlist I see song names in playlist. Possibility you could add it so when you're over a song name the bottom info pane(I'm using rapier skin) shows artist name as well.

6-possibility to add song view. So you get your whole music list similar to the ituens main music list.

7-in album view, the album names are listed, but the artist name is not added in front of that. Possibility to add artist name in front so one can quickly see who the album is by. Secondly, the albums are sorted by artist alphabetical order, which is fine, but in that case again would help to see artist in front of album name.

8-can't see album cover in album view.

9-linked to 6, in all my playlists I see the song name, but not artist name in front. I think it will be better if you can just make it so that each song also includes the artist name after that

10-I noticed that none of my playlists are sorted in the same order as sorted in iTunes. I.e. They're not sorted alphabetically, neither are they showing up in the same order as they are in iTunes.

I apologize it came down to ten points, this is by far the only plugin I need in xbmc, so I'm very excited someone finally fixed it and hoping it can get even better.

AlfredJKwack Wrote:Hi Everyone,

Hi nmirza

Glad to see you're exited. As I'm not a developer I'm probably going to have to disappoint you. My skills extend to the ability to understand the structure of the code and the ability to interpret what some of the things are meant to do. I'm not in a position however to write code. All I've done is take a look at what was done for the iPhoto plugin and apply that to the iTunes plugin. It took a few hours of comparing files back and forth but it required no real coding experience.

Nevertheless here goes my feedback.

Quote:1-import iTunes library option. Do I have to do this every time I want to update the plugin library say when i add a song to iTunes or a new playlist?

At the moment, yes. The iPhoto plugin has a neat "autoupdate" feature which I haven't implemented in the iTunes version - I didn't want to overextend myself first time around.

If anyone's a little adventurous, they're always welcome to submit a patch by taking example on what jingai's been doing with the iPhoto plugin.

Quote:2-my selected visualization was iTunes visualization. When i play a song it says visualization not found. I disabled visualization for now.

There should be no link between the Visualization and the plugin. Does the visualization work in other circumstances (ie with other audio plugins)? Also, if you're able to reproduce it I'd appreciate a debug log (pastebin).

Quote:3-I like the playlist icon. Is it possible to change the icons for the other items like artist etc to be similar style icons. I especially don't like the artist and album icons.

Feel free to replace the default png icons by your own. The path to the files (on a mac) is:
~/Library/Application Support/XBMC/addons/plugin.audio.itunes/resources/icons.

Quote:4- even thioughin my xbmc settings I've told it to play the next song, when I'm in a playlist and play a song, the next song does not play automatically.

Does this behaviour occur when you're in the artist, album or other folders as well? Does the behavriour occur with other plugins as well? If not please let me know which ones you tested against and I'll try to take a look at it.

Quote:8-can't see album cover in album view.

The source file from which the plugin works (ie. iTunes Music Library.xml) does not contain a path to the artwork.

I believe that iTunes stores the artwork in a proprietary format as well which makes it unlikely someone will write code to access it. The other possibilities to get the artwork are: scrape it from the internet or scraping it from the mp3 files themselves. In both these cases I believe the community would be better served if these were separate plugins that one could call and rely upon.

Quote:6-possibility to add song view. So you get your whole music list similar to the ituens main music list.

This should be feasible. I'll add it to the todo list.

Quote:5-in playlist I see song names in playlist. Possibility you could add it so when you're over a song name the bottom info pane(I'm using rapier skin) shows artist name as well.

Ideally for all of the above what you'd want is for XBMC to display a listing with a couple of colums (say: track, album, artist, rating) and have the columns be sortable. I don't have a good example on hand where this has been implemented. If you do, please let me know which plugin has this and I'll take a look.

I'm not a python developer remember. Perhaps someone more experienced can submit a patch to achieve these features.
Hi,

The iTunes plugin has been updated to include the Auto-Update feature.
https://github.com/AlfredJKwack/plugin.audio.itunes
AlfredJKwack
"Less is only more when more is no good." - Frank Lloyd Wright.
  • 22(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] iTunes and iPhoto integration plugins for XBMC3