• 4(current)
XBMC Live with ATI/AMD graphics controller boots to black screen?
jochenz Wrote:I have to get back on that comment. Everything works fine, untill I end the movie using "X" on my keyboard. Or by stopping it using te mouse pressing "STOP" in de controls.

The screen turns black. I still hear the controls in tha background, but there is no screen. When I kill the X using ALT-CTRL-BACKSPACE I get into the Windowmanager. I then start xbmc again using a Xterm.

Seems to be a bug. You can get back to the "home" screen by pressing tab on the keyboard while you play, then press stop. Else you got the black screen problem.

(Think i have found every bug in the livecd). The stop playback bug, wrong playbackspeed cause of improper audio output device, networking sometimes doesn't come up and the glrectanglebug and the xorg.conf problem with ATI graphics.
cloud79 Wrote:Seems to be a bug. You can get back to the "home" screen by pressing tab on the keyboard while you play, then press stop. Else you got the black screen problem.

(Think i have found every bug in the livecd). The stop playback bug, wrong playbackspeed cause of improper audio output device, networking sometimes doesn't come up and the glrectanglebug and the xorg.conf problem with ATI graphics.

thanks, using first TAB and then X fixed the "black screen" after stopping playback.

I tried it also on my Asus M2A-VM HDMI with onboard X1250. It boots just fine into XBMC. But in playback I get the playback in 4 parts. I killed XBMC, tried the < glrectanglehack> , then restarted XBMC using an Xterm. But it still played back in 4 parts. please advise some more. thank you!
XBMC on HTPC with Ubuntu 12.04 connected to Amahi Home Server 750GB+1TB storage.
XBMC is probably the best thing that ever happened to me...!!! You people Rock!!!

HTPC: MB: Asus P5N7A-VM DDR: 2 x 1 GB Kingston CPU: Intel Core2DUO E8400 @ 3,0 GHz Coller: Scythe Shuriken
jochenz Wrote:thanks, using first TAB and then X fixed the "black screen" after stopping playback.

I tried it also on my Asus M2A-VM HDMI with onboard X1250. It boots just fine into XBMC. But in playback I get the playback in 4 parts. I killed XBMC, tried the < glrectanglehack> , then restarted XBMC using an Xterm. But it still played back in 4 parts. please advise some more. thank you!

have you tripplechecked that you spelled everything right? Filename + content in file?

You can also try to create the advancedsettings.xml under /home/xbmc/.xbmc/userdata
same thing here.

ATI HD3850 boots fine till spash, than stays there. console says loading
ok heres my issue (i know little to nothing about linux so hopefully this can be a learning experience):

Seems to install fine and likewise I get a blank screen (no signal) when booting

on a windows machine I copy and pasted the xorg.conf file into the config folder on the drive. When I do this, it boots and prompts me for the username and password. After I login, I dont know how to launch xbmc.

I have an ATI Radeon 9600. I am guessing that the default configuration is trying to use a resolution I cannot support but have no idea how to get a command prompt without placing that conf file on the drive.

I tried CTRL + ALT + F2 and can see everything booting up but then it goes to a blank screen.

Thank you ahead of time!
I think the problem with people getting only a text login may rely in the PciID line in the supplied xorg.conf. Try simply removing that line and see if it makes a difference.

The problem is that not every comupter assigns the same pciid to the videocard.
take into account that these are the sections in xorg.conf that are likely to be modified in a trial and error process:

Code:
Section "Device"
    Identifier  "Configured Video Device"
    Driver      "fglrx"
    Option        "MonitorLayout" "LMDS" # (NONE,CRT,TMDS,LVDS)
    BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Default Screen"
    Device     "Configured Video Device"
    Monitor    "Configured Monitor"
        DefaultDepth 24
        SubSection "Display"
        Viewport 0 0
        Depth 24
    EndSubSection
EndSection

the "MonitorLayout" and the "DefaultDepth" options are quite important.
afail Wrote:ok heres my issue (i know little to nothing about linux so hopefully this can be a learning experience):

Seems to install fine and likewise I get a blank screen (no signal) when booting

on a windows machine I copy and pasted the xorg.conf file into the config folder on the drive. When I do this, it boots and prompts me for the username and password. After I login, I dont know how to launch xbmc.

I have an ATI Radeon 9600. I am guessing that the default configuration is trying to use a resolution I cannot support but have no idea how to get a command prompt without placing that conf file on the drive.

I tried CTRL + ALT + F2 and can see everything booting up but then it goes to a blank screen.

Thank you ahead of time!

After login, you can launch xbmc by typing xmbc.
If that doesn't work, try:
aticonfig --initial --X:\config\xorg.conf
In which path is the program
aticonfig located ?
It always is not found, when I am logged in as
root or xbmc user.

I have also tried to fix it with xorg.conf file , but it did not work.

When will there be new ATI drivers or how can they be installed
afterwards onto the USB stick ?
Can they be installed via aptitude command ?

I have a notebook with ATI Mobile Radeon 9000 chipset.
Many thanks.
jochenz Wrote:I have to get back on that comment. Everything works fine, untill I end the movie using "X" on my keyboard. Or by stopping it using te mouse pressing "STOP" in de controls.

The screen turns black. I still hear the controls in tha background, but there is no screen. When I kill the X using ALT-CTRL-BACKSPACE I get into the Windowmanager. I then start xbmc again using a Xterm.

This happens to me as well on a linux version of xbmc - its annoying to say the least but i can get back by doing the home screen thing
harryzimm Wrote:Create a folder on the live usb called config and put this xorg.conf in it. its worth a try not sure if it will work. (just copy and paste)

Code:
# xorg.conf (X.Org X Window System server configuration file)
#
# This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
# values from the debconf database.
#
# Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
# (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
#
# This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
# if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
# package.
#
# If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
# again, run the following command:
#   sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Section "Screen"
    Identifier    "Default Screen"
    Monitor        "Configured Monitor"
    Device        "Configured Video Device"
    Defaultdepth    24
         Subsection "Display"
          Depth   24
          Modes   "1280x768"
        EndSubsection
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier    "Configured Video Device"
    Option        "VideoOverlay"    "on"
    Option        "OpenGLOverlay"    "off"

Driver        "fglrx"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier    "Generic Keyboard"
    Driver        "kbd"
    Option        "XkbRules"    "xorg"
    Option        "XkbModel"    "pc105"
    Option        "XkbLayout"    "gb"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier    "Configured Mouse"
    Driver        "mouse"
    Option        "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier    "Default Layout"
  screen "Default Screen"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier    "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
    Option        "Composite"    "Enable"
EndSection

You might need to change the resolution to your monitors native res (See Modes in xorg.conf)

cheers

Thankyou thankyou thankyou. Did thiis last night - created a xconf file thingy slammed it in my config file on the usb key and gave it a boot up. I thought that the best thing that could happen would be that the xbmc centre would start and show me the home screen ( previously it went straight to black bloody ati cards) anyho it starts up woohoo!! i thought, thinking this wouold be the start of my troubles. on the straight linux setup if i run video it does that ghost shading and looks horrible so i assumed i would still have that problem. I fixed that issue in the proper linux with the advancedsettings file. anyho i digress, loaded a video in my new live setup and it WORKED i didnt have to advancedsetting anything and my msn remote works - Happy days. I want to thank my mum, god and everyone who helped me get this going - its the best thing in my tv room, infact even if i didnt have a tv and just this box, the fact that i knew it would work if i had a tv would still make me happy. Anyho sorry for going on tis early morning and i have nothing better to do - o well back to work -hmmmmm what should i watch tonight on my media centre so many choices.
I am seeing the same kind of symptom. I'm using an ATI Radeon X1050, and when selecting #2 from the boot screen it goes to black after the XBMC loading screen.

However, if I select #3, it boots up and *almost* works fine. So far the only caveat to it working fine is when I play a ripped DVD datafile it plays it in what looks almost like a green negative. Only in the replay window though. Everything else about it appears ok except for a network issue which I'll post about in another thread.
Sorry to be a pain but...

Why does'nt anything to do with XBMC work !!

I spent nearly two months pratting about with XBMC for Xbox then finally gave up. It just doesn't do anything properly. The only thing i could get XBMC for Xbox to do was stream my .MP3 collection from a NAS server. Nothing else quite worked properly.

Then, after putting my Xbox's up for sale on Ebay i decide to try the 'Live' angle.

I just downloaded the latest version of XBMC Live and installed it in my main high spec gaming machine on a spare 20GIG HDD i had lying around. I made the build CD without problem then installed XBMC Live onto the HDD, again without issue. After the final reboot i foolishly expected the machine to boot straight to XBMC so i could have a look at how it is running on a PC...i was actually quite exited.

How foolish i was............

The machine shows the XBMC splash screen then goes to a black screen. It does nothing else.

I then spend an hour reading through forum posts only to find that i have to start re building the CD and faffing about with config files as XBMC Live does not seem to work 'Out Of The Box'.

This is such a let down.

I have just wasted 2 hours of my day.

Add that to the time i've spent trying to keep XBMC working on the Xbox and you've got quite a few hours down the pan.

For me, XBMC is going in the bin.

Sorry chaps.

I kept one Xbox, i play games on it.

I play my DVD's on my DVD player.

I play my music on my CD player.

Signing off...unless someone can just make XBMC Live work for me.
Trebz Wrote:Signing off

let's celebrate!
l.capriotti Wrote:let's celebrate!

hahahaha, the fact that somebody does no get XBMC to work, with a great support forum like this, says more about that person, then about XBMC.

XBMC is tha bomb!
keep up the good work guys!
XBMC on HTPC with Ubuntu 12.04 connected to Amahi Home Server 750GB+1TB storage.
XBMC is probably the best thing that ever happened to me...!!! You people Rock!!!

HTPC: MB: Asus P5N7A-VM DDR: 2 x 1 GB Kingston CPU: Intel Core2DUO E8400 @ 3,0 GHz Coller: Scythe Shuriken
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Live with ATI/AMD graphics controller boots to black screen?0