• 5(current)
XBMC Live with ATI/AMD graphics controller boots to black screen?
jochenz Wrote:hahahaha, the fact that somebody does no get XBMC to work, with a great support forum like this, says more about that person, then about XBMC.

XBMC is tha bomb!
keep up the good work guys!

Dont make this personal my friend, i was simply venting a little frustration after spending another few hours of my time trying to get it working.

You have to admit that this post clearly shows that 'XBMC Live' does not work for everyone 'Out of the Box'. The whole post is about XBMC Live booting to a black screen, are you going to ridicule the other posters?

What i expected was some suggestion as to why it didnt work for me.

Im quite technical myself but when it comes to Linux and XBMC i need my hand holding, (See my other posts) i apologise for being a novice. Huh I presume that you know far more than me on this subject so why don't you help instead of taking this opportunity to 'Have a Go'.

I am still sat here, as are many others, looking at a black screen when XBMC Live boots on a PC.

Suggestions anyone?
Hi, First I'd like to thank all developers and testers for your work on xbmc.

Booting the latest published version of "xbmc live" fails on GA-MA78GM-S2H mainboard.

This mainboard has the ATI 780G chipset with integrated HD3200 graphics controller.

RAM: DDR2 PC6400 800MHz, 1GB
CPU: LE-1640 NON OC at 2.6GHz
No expansion cards have been installed

Bootup runs first selection menu where I select ATI/AMD boot option. Loading screen with progressbar is displayed and then comes black screen with blinking cursor at top left loc(0,0) position.

No other signs of life except the blinking cursor, no DVD drive activity and no HD/USB access.

I have also tried the option in the "xbmc live mainmenu" to install on USB device and this option leads to exactly the same behaviour as the AMD/ATI boot option described above.

Please get back to me if you need more information about the system hardware. It's basicly just a mainboard with 3 HDs (3SATA= 1xWD+2xSamsung).

xbmc works perfectly fine in xpprosp3 on the same system (although a bit delayed in response during menu interaction).

//Hexxa
sorry but that's life in the alpha/beta development. you just can't expect things to work too easily, I've spend many hours working on configuration on xbmc on the original xbox. In the end that was working out perfectly fine and I do not regret any of my time spent on that.

If you want it to works flawlessly I think you should wait 12 months until everything has been sorted out, I'm sure it will.

XBMC for the original xbox was developed for a ONE system only, that means that there we're no differences between GPUs, CPUs, South Bridge, NorthBridge/memcontrollers etc.

PCs have gazillion different configurations and due to lack of enough hardware vendors fully supporting opensource you have to expect that stuff cant always work out as fluently as the greedy m$/hardware relation.

This is for now though, opensource is the future so try to get back and try this out later on and you will get it to work.
Trebz Wrote:Dont make this personal my friend, i was simply venting a little frustration after spending another few hours of my time trying to get it working.

You have to admit that this post clearly shows that 'XBMC Live' does not work for everyone 'Out of the Box'. The whole post is about XBMC Live booting to a black screen, are you going to ridicule the other posters?

What i expected was some suggestion as to why it didnt work for me.

Im quite technical myself but when it comes to Linux and XBMC i need my hand holding, (See my other posts) i apologise for being a novice. Huh I presume that you know far more than me on this subject so why don't you help instead of taking this opportunity to 'Have a Go'.

I am still sat here, as are many others, looking at a black screen when XBMC Live boots on a PC.

Suggestions anyone?

Hi trebz not sure if you have fixed your problem - i had the same issue - xbmc live booting into a black screen. Do you have a ati graphics card by any chance? are you using the CD or usb method.

You need to use the USB start up method then read through this forum about the config file. create the config file and copy in (i forget the name f it) and then it should work - well mine did. The config file thread is a couple of pages back in this thread - need any more help let us know
Hi Everybody,

I am not having any luck using the liveusb with the 780g chipset. I used a mythbuntu cd, installed envy, and then copied it to my /config directory on my live usb, with no luck.

Is there logging i can check? What is the proper way to restart x on the live cd? I can ssh in, and i have full access to the system. Also, is the drive not persistent? I can't seem to change anything on the file system without getting a 'drive full error'. even when i run 'sudo aticonfig -initial-config.. I end up using /tmp as my target.

The usb stick I'm using is a 2 gig traveler. I booted the ISO in virtualbox and created the usb from there.

pro
hey guys,

i tried to upgrade to beta 2 today after having a working beta 1 config. i am unable to boot to xbmc (boots to login screen) with the exact same xorg.conf. below is my xorg.conf.

http://pastebin.com/m4a214928
Intel p35 motherboard + ati radeon 3870. Boots to black screen.
Hi Guys, some of you might want to check the following thread (i created) since I got the same problem, but found the solution in a totally different place!

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=2...post244614
Question 
Ok, So I have been running XBMC since 02? Trying it out live on my media pc. Followed all the threads here and have made it to this "issue"

"Failed to open connection to session message bus: Failed to execute dbus-launch to autolaunch D-Bus session

Cannot get root display. Is x11 running and is your display variable set?"

I am running the .conf posted a while back - My system is an Intel q6600 with 2gigs or ddr2 running an ATI HD3600.

Any help would be great- thanks guys.
Rainbow 
I also get the above error. Been trying for hours now

Made several xorg.conf files with different stuff inside from across this thread but to no avail.

Specs are

AMD Athlon S939 X2 4600+
Asus A8N-E
1GB DDR PC3200
200GB SATA HDD
ATI Radeon 3650

I used the live CD and did option 3 to make a bootable USB.
When i boot from the usb im presented with the same 4 options as the cd, is this correct?

I then get to a login screen where i enter xbmc/xbmc, then i get the stuff about the d-bus same as the gent above.

Sad
Interesting. Ubuntu 8.10 did not want to install either, gave me the black screen unless i installed under safe mode.
HOWEVER, Ubuntu 8.04 is perfectly fine.
After trawling through the ubuntu forums, apparently Intrepid is screwed. So, going to have to get the necessary stuff from the 8.04 install. Ill report back.
I guess doubleposting is frowned upon, so sorry. The original is here:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=2...post252921

"I have a Acer L5100. Not sure what to call the mobo, but it's an AMD based system with ATI 1250 integrated GPU. (Just like jochenz)

I have a Toshiba 1080i capable LCD TV connected via HDMI. I also tried a 1280x1024 VGA monitor to see if that would help. In both cases I get the option between the different GFX types in the beginning, then I get a blank screen for a while, then the cursor appears. Nothing happens after that."

I tried it on my Laptop (Dell xps 1530 w/ nvidia gfx) and it worked right away. It looked awesome. Even the remote worked without any fiddling at all!

Ubuntu 8.10 works fine for me. The resolution was way off until I got the gfx driver from ati. I fixed that by connecting an old vga monitor. That got a usable resolution, so I could update the ATI driver. After that the TV was recognized properly.
tha_lode Wrote:I guess doubleposting is frowned upon, so sorry. The original is here:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=2...post252921

"I have a Acer L5100. Not sure what to call the mobo, but it's an AMD based system with ATI 1250 integrated GPU. (Just like jochenz)

I have a Toshiba 1080i capable LCD TV connected via HDMI. I also tried a 1280x1024 VGA monitor to see if that would help. In both cases I get the option between the different GFX types in the beginning, then I get a blank screen for a while, then the cursor appears. Nothing happens after that."

I tried it on my Laptop (Dell xps 1530 w/ nvidia gfx) and it worked right away. It looked awesome. Even the remote worked without any fiddling at all!

Ubuntu 8.10 works fine for me. The resolution was way off until I got the gfx driver from ati. I fixed that by connecting an old vga monitor. That got a usable resolution, so I could update the ATI driver. After that the TV was recognized properly.

Can you please post your working xorg.conf? This is likely to fix a fair number of our issues.

Thanks!
It would be great If I could help with this.

Not sure if it is important but I installed Ubuntu 8.10 from a live CD onto a Corsair Flash Voyager GT 16 GB.

# xorg.conf (X.Org X Window System server configuration file)

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "Module"
Load "glx"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
Driver "fglrx"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Device "Configured Video Device"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
DefaultDepth 24
EndSection
The installation has the newest updates, and xbmc works (after I finally figured out how to install it).
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Live with ATI/AMD graphics controller boots to black screen?0