Android Stopping 5.1 Playback in Kodi gets my Fire TV Cube to stutter the sound
Folks, since starting with XBMC on a real Xbox I've been using Kodi for quite some while on a broad range of different HW types.

With the introduction of the Fire TV stick series these became my favorite platform when using them attached to our TVs.

Though Fritsch helped me out on some (audio) issues wiith Kodi on AFTVs in the past I ran into another issue when replacing my Fire TV 4k stick with a Fire TV Cube (gen2) of few years, ago.
Frankly I was too lazy so far and hoped the issue might get resolved in the meantime, but up today (20.1) with the latest "night lies" it remains.

This time the ISO video file with a DTS5.1 sound track can successfully been started and played, but when the playback gets stopped - e.g. either simply because the movie reaches it's end or I stop it manually, this gets the "sound system" of the Cube into the mode to start stuttering, not only within Kodi, but even when stopping Kodi and trying to play something e.g. by Netfllix, Prime etc.

The only way I found so far to get it fixed is to shutdown and reboot the Cube.

This doesn't happen when playing the 2.0 stereo (pcm) track.

Another workaround to (often) avoid the issue is to pause the video before it stops, getting into the sounds section menu, switching the sound track from dts tp pcm, going back, e.g. clicking a bit a back and forth in some of the menus before stopping the playback in the end.

Before opening another bug report for this, has sb come across this issue as well and got a fix for this by e.g. tweaking some sound settings.

BTW: I think the issue even broke my Teac AVR AG-D500 recently in the end as you could hear an internal relay starting to ticktack periodically every second getting on an off when the issue occurred.
Adding a link to video on youtube which shows the issue in scenario when skipping to next track
What are the KODI»Settings»System»Audio that you are using?
Guess those should be the relevant part (Cube is attached to an HDMI port on a Denon AVR these days)
Quote:<setting id="audiooutput.audiodevice">AUDIOTRACK:AudioTrack (IEC)|Kodi IEC packer (recommended)</setting>
<setting id="audiooutput.channels">8</setting>
<setting id="audiooutput.config">3</setting>
<setting id="audiooutput.volumesteps" default="true">90</setting>
<setting id="audiooutput.maintainoriginalvolume" default="true">true</setting>
<setting id="audiooutput.stereoupmix" default="true">false</setting>
<setting id="audiooutput.processquality" default="true">30</setting>
<setting id="audiooutput.atempothreshold" default="true">2</setting>
<setting id="audiooutput.samplerate">96000</setting>
<setting id="audiooutput.streamsilence">0</setting>
<setting id="audiooutput.streamnoise">false</setting>
<setting id="audiooutput.guisoundmode" default="true">1</setting>
<setting id="audiooutput.guisoundvolume" default="true">100</setting>
<setting id="lookandfeel.soundskin" default="true">resource.uisounds.kodi</setting>
<setting id="audiooutput.passthrough" default="true">false</setting>
<setting id="audiooutput.passthroughdevice">AUDIOTRACK:AudioTrack (IEC)|Kodi IEC packer (recommended)</setting>
<setting id="audiooutput.ac3passthrough" default="true">true</setting>
<setting id="audiooutput.ac3transcode">true</setting>
<setting id="audiooutput.eac3passthrough">true</setting>
<setting id="audiooutput.dtspassthrough">true</setting>
<setting id="audiooutput.truehdpassthrough" default="true">false</setting>
<setting id="audiooutput.dtshdpassthrough">true</setting>
<setting id="audiooutput.dtshdcorefallback" default="true">true</setting>
(2024-04-16, 11:19)odoll Wrote: <setting id="audiooutput.passthroughdevice">AUDIOTRACK:AudioTrack (IEC)|Kodi IEC packer (recommended)</setting>

Cube(gen.2) needs to be set to AudioTrack(RAW) for Passthrough Output Device, could be the cause of your issue/problem, the device firmware is broken for using IEC for Passthrough on the Cube(gen.2).

If you upgrade to the Cube(gen.3), only then is it recommended to use AudioTrack(IEC) for Passthrough, because Amazon finally fixed IEC usage in the firmware on the 3rd generation devices.
Thx for the hint. I enabled Passthrough and set it as recommended to AudioTrack(RAW). The 4.1 sound "survived" the first "Skips", but it fell back (I guess) to PCM  Stereo, still with stuttering in the output.
Again this affect not only Kodi, but any other app's sound. Thus I have to reboot the Cube to get it fixed, again.

While messing around with the Cube Gen2 audio settings lately I altered them from "Best Option" to "Dolby Digital Plus". However when starting Kodi and triggering the issue I found the setting had changed to "PCM"?!
Cube shouldn't automatically switch the Audio settings. Do you have a bad HDMI cable? Or something weird is going on, like EDID not being communicated properly; can try cold-start all the connected devices to reset EDID and CEC.

I've always used "Dolby_Digtal_Plus" audio mode with my Cube(2), cause using "Best_Available" never worked great/perfect for me & my setup.

You typed [4.1] in the last comment, was that a typo and should have been [5.1] Huh

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Stopping 5.1 Playback in Kodi gets my Fire TV Cube to stutter the sound0