XBMC Live vs. XBMC for Windows?
Question 
Would I gain any advantages by running XBOX Live vs. XBOX for Windows if I have a machine that I can dedicate 100% use? Would the lag reduce? Would I lose the functionality of e-SATA?
What is Xbox Live or Xbox for Windows?

I hope you mean XBMC?
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
tslayer Wrote:What is Xbox Live or Xbox for Windows?

I hope you mean XBMC?

Whoops! Eek

I did indeed mean XBMC
XBMC Live is an embedded system so if your gonna use it 100% HTPC then you should have ie boottime as a plus, it's about 45s I think from pushing start button to running a video for me, that's alot faster than any windows version I have tried.

And S-ATA should work out of the box as long as you don't have a G45 Motherboard, they will be supported in our next release, 8.10.
There is however talk about an unstable version that will work with G45

S-ATA works on all my current computer.

EDIT: Also when you run XBMC Live you will have alot less overhead as you don't have a complete OS running underneath so my Atom powered laptop can almost run 720p!

All in all, try it out, it only costs you a CD and it won't touch your computer at all if you don't choose Install.

Cheers, Tobias
If you have problems please read this before posting

Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Topfs2 Wrote:XBMC Live is an embedded system so if your gonna use it 100% HTPC then you should have ie boottime as a plus, it's about 45s I think from start to running a video for me, that's alot faster than any windows version I have tried.

And S-ATA should work out of the box as long as you don't have a G45 Motherboard, they will be supported in our next release, 8.10.
There is however talk about an unstable version that will work with G45

S-ATA works on all my current computer.

All in all, try it out, it only costs you a CD and it won't touch your computer at all if you don't choose Install.

Cheers, Tobias

Thanks Tobias. To take it one step further, do you run it off the CD or do you have it on a flash drive? Does copying to flash just make it faster, or is it 6 to one half dozen other?
Also, is there still a way to install skins if using a CD, or do you have to use the flash install to do that?
The difference between running it from a CD and a USB is that from CD you can't store any data, ie skins and database and the likes. You can still create them and try everything (ie adding skins and checking them out) but if you reboot the skin would be lost.

USB is the same as the CD but will save everything before you reboot.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Topfs2 Wrote:XBMC Live is an embedded system so if your gonna use it 100% HTPC then you should have ie boottime as a plus, it's about 45s I think from pushing start button to running a video for me, that's alot faster than any windows version I have tried
With Suspend (S3) enabled the startup time is about 3 seconds, look under settings Wink
Gamester17 Wrote:With Suspend (S3) enabled the startup time is about 3 seconds, look under settings Wink

You bloody beauty!!!
Yeah, too bad though that you can not resume from Suspend with the remote.

...yes I am THAT lazy that I do not want to get off the couch, hehe Rofl
Quote:Yeah, too bad though that you can not resume from Suspend with the remote.

You can if you have an integrated iMon receiver/remote. I've got a Silverstone LC11B and the IR receiver has a pass-through for the power button (pwr button -> IR receiver -> mobo) and a constant power from the PSU, allowing the remote to turn on / off the PC. Is nice.
Big Grin
Gamester17 Wrote:Yeah, too bad though that you can not resume from Suspend with the remote.

...yes I am THAT lazy that I do not want to get off the couch, hehe Rofl

I did not notice the suspend setting but will play with it. Is there a way we could get the system to wake without getting up? My XBMC machine is in a closet in a whole separate room (and I am probably lazier than you).

I don't know much about how suspend/resume works in Linux, as I have only desktops that I leave on all the time. However, I would prefer that my XBMC box not be running all the time.

Would LAN activity wake it? Could a mouse or keyboard event be mapped to the remote?
Supporter of all things Linux, Android, XBMC and NextPVR
jkrellner Wrote:I did not notice the suspend setting but will play with it. Is there a way we could get the system to wake without getting up? My XBMC machine is in a closet in a whole separate room (and I am probably lazier than you).

I don't know much about how suspend/resume works in Linux, as I have only desktops that I leave on all the time. However, I would prefer that my XBMC box not be running all the time.

Would LAN activity wake it? Could a mouse or keyboard event be mapped to the remote?

I can't tell you how to do it with remote but it's possible to do with Keyboard that I know, But there was someone on this forum that was able to wake ubuntu with remote and if he could explain how then I'm sure we could have it in XBMC Live gold.

I would personally love to be able to wake it from remote aswell.

This is completely untested in XBMC Live but if you want to try it that would be good (then we could include it in XBMC Live Atlantis gold)

alt+f1
cat /proc/acpi/wakeup

Note all the USBx (were x is a number)
and do
sudo su
(password is xbmc)
for all the numbers you had
echo USBx > /proc/acpi/wakeup

so ie
echo USB1 > /proc/acpi/wakeup

Source: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=814939

Now if only I knew how to speed up my pesky bios... Stupid PCI cards all have to display something!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Live vs. XBMC for Windows?1