Hisense 120L9G Laser TV: no 4K on kodi?
hi,

recently received a Hisense 120L9G laser tv with android (and 120" ALR screen) from Costco. Just set it up and the initial impression is very positive. As it came with android, I immediately installed Kodi (20.0) on it through its playstore. It runs well, supporting DV and 10-bit video.

However, I noticed that it only supports 1080p resolution, although the L9G itself is 4K. In Kodi, there is simply no other options other than 1080p. 

I then inserted a firetv 4k and ran Kodi in firetv, and through firetv, 4K resolution is supported.

Anyone with more experience with Hisense L9G found a way to enable 4K resolution on Kodi that is installed directly on L9G through playstore?

ps. L9G doesn't have Netflix, not even through its playstore.
is it android or vidaa os pretending to be android on that device? - https://www.dignited.com/74255/vidaa-os-...v-platform

a Debug Log from kodi would have some useful information

also, the source you are trying to play will definitely matter - local files or from a streaming service?
I am at work but will try to supply a debug log when I get home.

It is indeed Android instead of VIDAA OS. It has a built-in Android PlayStore, and that's how I installed Kodi on the L9G.

What I mean by that Kodi only sees 1080p mode is that, under Settings->System->Display->Resolution, there is only 1 option of 1080p. No other resolution was available to choose from.

But to answer your questions, my files were hosted remotely (but within the same private home network) and accessed through an Emby server; wired connection between the Emby server and the Hisense 120L9G.
(2023-05-30, 15:33)onsmike Wrote: I am at work but will try to supply a debug log when I get home.

right on it should show all (or at least most) the capabilities available

(2023-05-30, 15:33)onsmike Wrote: It is indeed Android instead of VIDAA OS. It has a built-in Android PlayStore, and that's how I installed Kodi on the L9G.

What I mean by that Kodi only sees 1080p mode is that, under Settings->System->Display->Resolution, there is only 1 option of 1080p. No other resolution was available to choose from.

But to answer your questions, my files were hosted remotely (but within the same private home network) and accessed through an Emby server; wired connection between the Emby server and the Hisense 120L9G.

i was eluding more towards inability to access certain content due to lack of widevine level like netflix or prime video, emby shouldnt have those limitations (and should be more or less the same as playing local files)
(2023-05-30, 15:33)onsmike Wrote: It is indeed Android instead of VIDAA OS. It has a built-in Android PlayStore, and that's how I installed Kodi on the L9G.

This is "standard Android" misunderstanding. There are two rendering layers, so to say, one for graphic and the other for video. The resolution you see in Android Kodi (1080p) is used only for rendering GUI. Video rendered resolution depends on source used; so if your GUI is "only" 1080p, and if you play a video in 4K resolution, Kodi will send it unchanged to your display, naturally if it's able (and reports) that it can handle it.
That is exactly the way Kodi in Android 9 (and 12) on my Odroid N2 behaves...
(2023-05-30, 21:38)Sholander Wrote:

This is "standard Android" misunderstanding. There are two rendering layers, so to say, one for graphic and the other for video. The resolution you see in Android Kodi (1080p) is used only for rendering GUI. Video rendered resolution depends on source used; so if your GUI is "only" 1080p, and if you play a video in 4K resolution, Kodi will send it unchanged to your display, naturally if it's able (and reports) that it can handle it.
That is exactly the way Kodi in Android 9 (and 12) on my Odroid N2 behaves...
In other words, nothing to worry about?  Using just the standard remote, is there a way to show the resolution used during a video playback?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Hisense 120L9G Laser TV: no 4K on kodi?0