• 2(current)
[APPLE TV] XBMC for Mac (Atlantis Beta 1) on the Apple TV
Did not know about XBMC's lack of XvMC.

Is XvMC being planned to be incorporated into XBMC linux?
falafeLover Wrote:nice work! This version seems to get farther for me than the last - I was able to start the application using Nito as described, but the remote doesn't work for me. Is there anything special that needs to be done to enable remote support? Also, where is the log file kept?

Log file is at /Users/Frontrow/Library/Logs/xbmc.log

There's another log I'd like to see (pastebin please) at

/mnt/Scratch/Library/Logs/Console/501/console.log
steve1977 Wrote:Does any of these two options allow the use of networked drives?

Thanks for your help!!!

If your network drives are SMB, XBMC for Mac has internal ability to access SMB drives, no hacking the AppleTV required.

AFP still requires AppleTV hacks but there is an dev effort to side step this, not completed yet.

XBMC for Linux has network drive access for SMB and AFP, it's Linux Wink
vilder Wrote:I have managed to resolve the probmel with the remote with moving SDL.framework and ForceFeedback.framework.

Bingo, and that's a bug. This was missed in the push to get beta1 out. Sorry about that.

XBMCHelper is headed to /dev/null pretty soon. A dedicated XBMC plugin launcher will take over sending IR commands to XBMC instead of XBMCHelper.
MaestroDD Wrote:Would you mind to elaborate?

Give me a few hours and I'll have a package that can install the missing SDL.framework and ForceFeedback.framework. The issue is XBMCHelper is linked with these two frameworks and they are not present under the AppleTV OS.

ForceFeedback.framework is present on all OSX system and is located

/System/Library/Frameworks/ForceFeedback.framework

SDL.framework is not typically present on OSX systems but there is a copy in the XBMC for Mac mpkg developer tools install.
Samushka Wrote:Did not know about XBMC's lack of XvMC.

Is XvMC being planned to be incorporated into XBMC linux?

XvMC has been discussed, but XvMC will only help with 1080i mpeg2 content. XvMC will not help with mpeg4 or h.265 content. It only works with mpeg2.
From a comparative standpoint, does AppleTV OS run XBMC as smoothly or better than a Mac Mini since it is a dedicated device?

From a pricing standpoint it is clearly a more affordable way to go but I want to understand exactly what the tradeoffs are...

Thanks in advance for responses that help me wrap my head around this argument.
B-E-A-S-T Wrote:From a comparative standpoint, does AppleTV OS run XBMC as smoothly or better than a Mac Mini since it is a dedicated device?

Seems just as snappy and smooth on the AppleTV as on the MacMini in the GUI. The big determinant is the resolution and bit-rate of your video content. High bit-rate 720p is just not possible with the cpu inside the AppleTV. It's possible that some gains might occur in the future but the big different right now is the MacMini has about 4X the cpu power as the AppleTV. Of course, that's at 3 to 4 times the price of the AppleTV.

So if your video content is all high bit-rate 720p, MacMini is a better choice. If not, then AppleTV.
Shocked

I have been wondering if this would happen for a long time. I just have a few questions.

1) Does it play h.264 smoothly (non-HD)?
2) Does it play some 720p h.264 (low bitrate)?
3) Can u use a different remote (im assuming u have to use a usb receiver of some kind)?
4) Does digital audio work? HDMI and/or optical?

... I may be picking up an appletv tomorrow Smile

Linux and OSX versions are working great. Keep up the good work.
Tsf42m Wrote:Shocked

I have been wondering if this would happen for a long time. I just have a few questions.

1) Does it play h.264 smoothly (non-HD)?
2) Does it play some 720p h.264 (low bitrate)?
3) Can u use a different remote (im assuming u have to use a usb receiver of some kind)?
4) Does digital audio work? HDMI and/or optical?

... I may be picking up an appletv tomorrow Smile

Linux and OSX versions are working great. Keep up the good work.

1) yes
2) yes
3) maybe, there are not that many USB remotes that have drivers for OSX.
4) HDMI works great, optical should also.
Optical audio works.
Hello all...
Not sure whether this is the right place to post but I am having difficulty installing XBMC on Apple TV. Keep getting this Message after mounting the dmg:

-bash-2.05b$ sudo hdiutil mount XBMC_for_Mac-beta1.dmg
/dev/disk1 GUID_partition_scheme
/dev/disk1s1 48465300-0000-11AA-AA11-0030654 /Volumes/XBMC
-bash-2.05b$ installer -pkg /Volumes/XBMC/XBMC\ Media\ Center.mpkg -target /
installer: This package requires authentication to install.

What am I doing wrong Huh

Appreciate your help Nod
You must use "sudo" command before installer:
-bash-2.05b$ sudo installer -pkg /Volumes/XBMC/XBMC\ Media\ Center.mpkg -target /

Use frontrow as password when prompted (if you didn't change default password)
I've been waiting to upgrade my Xbox with the Apple TV for a long time. Some questions before I head out and buy one today.

When XBMC is installed on aTV, does aTV boot automatically to XBMC or do I need to run it as an application? I need a high wife acceptance factor and booting automatically to XBMC on restart is key.

I don't have a Mac PC. Can I still install XBMC on the aTV or am I out of luck?
The program loads perfectly but I can't get the remote working.

SDL.framework and ForceFeedback.framework need to be moved but I don't know where I need to move them to. Can anyone provide the detail here? davilla mentioned a package in a few hours a day ago wondered if this was posted anywhere? Can't find it on the forum.

Thanks,
chris
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[APPLE TV] XBMC for Mac (Atlantis Beta 1) on the Apple TV3