• 3(current)
[APPLE TV] XBMC for Mac (Atlantis Beta 1) on the Apple TV
For some reason I am recieving an error when trying to run XBMC.app through nitotv or by the terminal.

open[249] LSOpenFromURLSpec() returned -10827 for application (null) urls file://localhost/mnt/Scratch/Users/frontrow/Applications/XBMC.app/.

Any suggestions?
Here is an URL to a replacement XBMCHelper that does not link to forcefeedback.framework

http://code.google.com/p/atv-xbmc-launch...XBMCHelper

SDL.framework is not required as it does not link with XBMCHelper.

This replaces

/Applications/XBMC.app/Contents/Resources/XBMC/XBMCHelper

depending on your download method, you might have to

"chmod +x XBMCHelper" on the AppleTV to make it executable.
Hi,

Great developpementn in here.

I'm not able to change the XBMCHelper on my AppleTV with the new one you posted Davilla. I'm kind of linux newbie...

Code:
-bash-2.05b$ sudo rm XBMCHelper
Password:
override rwxrwxr-x  root/admin for XBMCHelper? y
rm: XBMCHelper: Read-only file system

Anybody can Help please?

Thanks
Bob
I have been able to install XBMC Beta1 on my AppleTV Take 2 with firmware 2.1. After correcting the XBMCHelper file with the modified version talked about above in a previous post, the appletv remote works just fine. The way the buttons are arranged is somewhat strange but because of the few buttons on the appletv remote not much can be done.
I have found a few problems and or issues that I don't know how to solve.

1. In XBMC settings for resolution I selected the one that says 720x480(fullscreen). The User Interface and videos I play appear to be stretched. I should say im using the component inputs (3 cables) with a standard def TV set to 16x9 mode. AppleTV works just fine with its normal interface but XBMC does appear to be stretched. Not sure if the config files can be modified so the resolution can be modifed. Can the resolution be fixed? I tried all other resolution modes and none of them are fullscreen. You can see the top title bar just like a normal app on my macpro does with xbmc. Not sure if this can be fixed.

2. All my movies I have on my media server are encoded just like the movies you can buy on the itunes store. This includes having dual audio tracks aac+ac3. My question is how can I get xbmc to always use the ac3 track? I have tried the whole idea of having both movie.m4v and movie.m4v.conf with aif=2 in a text file in the same folder. I use dolby digital 5.1 (AC3) for all my movies because of my home theater system. This is all automatically selected by the regular appletv software. If digital out is being used AC3 track is selected. If I use analog out then the AAC track is used. How do I select the 2nd track to always be the one used when in digital out mode? Is this even possible. This will be a big deal breaker for those that use AC3 tracks on their self created itunes movies. I don't want to have to reencode all my hundreds of movies just to remove the aac audio track.

Other then these 2 issues and maybe having someway to autostart xbmc when the appletv comes on it seems to be working very well. Crashes here and their but its rare.
Hi,

Great developpementn in here.

I'm not able to change the XBMCHelper on my AppleTV with the new one you posted Davilla. I'm kind of linux newbie...

Code:
-bash-2.05b$ sudo rm XBMCHelper
Password:
override rwxrwxr-x  root/admin for XBMCHelper? y
rm: XBMCHelper: Read-only file system

Anybody can Help please?
EDIT I just make this and it did the tricks. Still learning Big Grin
Code:
sudo mount -uw /

Thanks
Bob
matthoffman Wrote:I have been able to install XBMC Beta1 on my AppleTV Take 2 with firmware 2.1. After correcting the XBMCHelper file with the modified version talked about above in a previous post, the appletv remote works just fine. The way the buttons are arranged is somewhat strange but because of the few buttons on the appletv remote not much can be done.
I have found a few problems and or issues that I don't know how to solve.

1. In XBMC settings for resolution I selected the one that says 720x480(fullscreen). The User Interface and videos I play appear to be stretched. I should say im using the component inputs (3 cables) with a standard def TV set to 16x9 mode. AppleTV works just fine with its normal interface but XBMC does appear to be stretched. Not sure if the config files can be modified so the resolution can be modifed. Can the resolution be fixed? I tried all other resolution modes and none of them are fullscreen. You can see the top title bar just like a normal app on my macpro does with xbmc. Not sure if this can be fixed.

2. All my movies I have on my media server are encoded just like the movies you can buy on the itunes store. This includes having dual audio tracks aac+ac3. My question is how can I get xbmc to always use the ac3 track? I have tried the whole idea of having both movie.m4v and movie.m4v.conf with aif=2 in a text file in the same folder. I use dolby digital 5.1 (AC3) for all my movies because of my home theater system. This is all automatically selected by the regular appletv software. If digital out is being used AC3 track is selected. If I use analog out then the AAC track is used. How do I select the 2nd track to always be the one used when in digital out mode? Is this even possible. This will be a big deal breaker for those that use AC3 tracks on their self created itunes movies. I don't want to have to reencode all my hundreds of movies just to remove the aac audio track.

Other then these 2 issues and maybe having someway to autostart xbmc when the appletv comes on it seems to be working very well. Crashes here and their but its rare.
Oops I ment to say that my videos and XBMC appear to be squashed not stretched. I think this is because normal 4x3 displays are 720x480 and thats being squashed into a 16x9 display mode. We need to have a fullscreen 4x3 mode and fullscreen 16x9 mode. I believe this would solve the problem.
Thanks for the modified XBMChelper. It is now working perfectly and fixed a problem with scraping imdb by going into settings before clicking ok to scan.

One question I have is the context menu. How do I get this up using the Apple Remote? I've tried double clicking the play button but think I'm missing something somewhere. Any help appreciated...

Thanks,
C
Hello,

Now XBMC is running smoothly on my Appletv. Thanks Davilla for your great contribution.

I'm trying to connect to my MythtvBackend with half success. I can see the program guide, the recordings and the liveTV channel. However, when i try to start a recording an apple logo appear in my system freeze. The same thing happen with the liveTV.

I'm sure my mythbackend is working because when i use XBMC on my Windows LAptop i can use it without a hitch.

Anyone using Mythtv can confirm what i'm seeing?

Thanks
Bob
Davilla you are a genius ! Everything works perfectly, but:

1- I share matthoffman problems i.e component inputs (3 cables) with a standard def TV set to PAL 4:3. Some of the elements of the menus seems to be hidden beyond the viewable screen.

2- Is there a way of getting rid of the title bar "XBMC Media Center" at the top of the screen

Still though, you have made my dream come true, a major improvement on what plugins currently available.

Can't thamk you enough
Thanks for the modified XBMChelper. It is now working perfectly and fixed a problem with scraping imdb by going into settings before clicking ok to scan.

One question I have is the context menu. How do I get this up using the Apple Remote? I've tried double clicking the play button but think I'm missing something somewhere. Any help appreciated...

chrisjburgess Wrote:Ignore my last request, I didn't read the sticky's, found what I was looking for

Thanks,
C
Tell a lie...the buttons listed in the sticky do not appear to work on my apple tv....

Holding Play doesn't bring up movie info.

Holding Menu doesn't bring up the contextual menu

Any ideas?

Thanks,
C
Chris,

I agree with you I am unable to get the hold button function working as well.
The play/pause button should really by default be mapped to the pause/play function instead of linking to the button to change the aspect ratio of a movie. The mediastream skin seems to work pretty well on the appletv except for the fact it does seem to be kinda jumpy and switching through the menues or selecting a movie. For being beta it does work very well though. I am sure over time all these bugs will be squashed and performance on the apple tv will be optimized.
Do you have the option of changing to the PAL resolution modes at all, or is it fixed at 720x480 or whatever?

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Couple of notes.

1) NitoTV uses a default "safe video setting" when launching apps. Turn this off in NitoTV

2) If you see the "XBMC Media Center" title bar, you are not in FullScreen mode. Setting -> Appearance -> Resolution -> Screen

3) Until the IR mapping is sorted out, it is not possible to bring up the context menu. That is unless you have an EventClient that sends a remote host keyboard commands to the AppleTV. There is such a beast but it depends on SDL.framework which not installed by default.

4) If XBMC for Mac crashes on the AppleTV, you will see the white Apple icon and it seems that AppleTV is frozen. menu twice should get you back.

5) MythTV crashes, possible problem with the pgn files that myth will generate.

6) The root partition on the AppleTV is read only by default, "sudo mount -uw /" will make it read/write. "touch /.readwrite" will make it permanent.
Hi, another aTV user here. Got the Apple Remote to work after copying ForceFeedback.framework as previously stated in this thread, but when XBMC takes control of the remote there is nothing giving control back to Front Row should a crash happen, noticed this a little bit back. Giving XBMC it's own launcher is probably the best idea to solve that at this stage.

I have also noticed that the interface is quite sluggish, both on my MacBook Pro (T9300 @ 2500Mhz, 2Gb RAM, 512Mb 8600m GT GPU) and AppleTV. But I'm sure this will be solved along the line Smile

Otherwise great work! XBMC will definitely replace Front Row and ATVFiles/NitoTV for me, the networking options are much better (note that I had previously never used XBMC Tongue) and the skinnable interface is so much more... alive Tongue.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[APPLE TV] XBMC for Mac (Atlantis Beta 1) on the Apple TV3