• 8(current)
[APPLE TV] XBMC for Mac (Atlantis Beta 1) on the Apple TV
davilla Wrote:Is OSBoot read only?
Nope, I did the usual "sudo mount -uw /" when I installed XBMC, so I don't see why it would be.

davilla Wrote:See if "/Users/frontrow/Library/Application Support/XBMC" exists or not.
It does exist.
http://atvusb-creator.googlecode.com is released for OSX platform, the other two platforms should pop out in a week.

If you just want to grap the XBMC launcher and have ssh installed go to the google code project source and get it here.

http://code.google.com/p/atvusb-creator/...MCLauncher

It includes an updater/installer so those with problems might want to zap their existing XBMC.app and try re-install from the XBMC Launcher
Just wan't to make sure I'm clear on this. With the atvusb-creator you don't have to do any prep of the appletv ahead of time? It installs ssh, bin tools, and XBMC for Mac (or Boxee if you want). The XBMC for Mac is installed with the launcher I assume, so those of us who haven't got XBMC on the appletv yet don't need the second link. The one thing I'm wondering about. On the atvusb-creator site it says
Quote:One final note (sure, sure), Both XBMC and Boxee are net installed from their plugin launcher so remember to first select "Update" and install the individual applications.
I assume that means it installs the launcher to the appletv and then you have to hit update on the appletv and XBMC will download and install then. Thanks for all of your hard work! People like you are what makes this community so great.Nod Now I'm off to get an AppleTV and new thumb drive. I realized my school has some Macs I can't use in the campus library.Laugh

Edit: Just thought of one thing. I want to try one of my old thumb drives first. They are U3 though and I could never get them to work with XBMC Live. Should this work on a U3 thumb drive or will I for sure need a non-U3. Also, if I try the U3 and doesn't work, can I pop the U3 drive in the a vista computer and copy it to a new non-U3 and have it work? It would save me $20 if the U3 did work and it would save a trip back to campus if I could just copy the U3 to non-U3. Again thanks for all of your hard work!
xeonicxpression Wrote:Just wan't to make sure I'm clear on this. With the atvusb-creator you don't have to do any prep of the appletv ahead of time? It installs ssh, bin tools, and XBMC for Mac (or Boxee if you want). The XBMC for Mac is installed with the launcher I assume, so those of us who haven't got XBMC on the appletv yet don't need the second link. The one thing I'm wondering about. On the atvusb-creator site it says
I assume that means it installs the launcher to the appletv and then you have to hit update on the appletv and XBMC will download and install then. Thanks for all of your hard work! People like you are what makes this community so great.Nod Now I'm off to get an AppleTV and new thumb drive. I realized my school has some Macs I can't use in the campus library.Laugh

Edit: Just thought of one thing. I want to try one of my old thumb drives first. They are U3 though and I could never get them to work with XBMC Live. Should this work on a U3 thumb drive or will I for sure need a non-U3. Also, if I try the U3 and doesn't work, can I pop the U3 drive in the a vista computer and copy it to a new non-U3 and have it work? It would save me $20 if the U3 did work and it would save a trip back to campus if I could just copy the U3 to non-U3. Again thanks for all of your hard work!

Use ATVUSB-Creator to install the XBMC Launcher (I also suggest ssh and bin tools and Boxee of course)

Then use the XBMC Launcher to install XBMC for Mac.

If you already have ssh installed, then pull down XBMC Launcher from the google code source (it's a tar.gz) and do the normal manual install of an AppleTV plugin.

USB flash drives with U3 are bad, very bad. Hidden stuff on it that is very difficult to nuke. Avoid like the plague. If it says "bootable" on the packaging, odds are very high it will work fine.

Can't just copy items from one drive to another, it does not work that way. And if the USB flash drive can't boot it might because it will not allow the structure required when the flash drive is created.
Bah, you are telling me. U3 is evil stuff. The only time it helped me was when I had an E-book in Zinio format for a class. It locks it to the thumb drive instead of a single computer. Thanks for the crazy fast reply. Have a good day!
It is possible to uninstall U3, see => http://www.u3.com/uninstall/default.aspx

Wink
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
So I downloaded the app and it doesn't appear to run on these macs. It says not supported on this architecture. In "about this mac" it says 1.8ghz PowerPC G5. I assume the PowerPc part is the problem? It's OSX 10.5.5.
XBMC currently works only on Intel Macs.
Please read and follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, please make sure you read this first.

But this will be run on an apple tv. I don't know how the atvusb works but can't you make the patchstick on a non-intel based mac? I'm assuming no, lol.
davilla Wrote:http://atvusb-creator.googlecode.com is released for OSX platform, the other two platforms should pop out in a week.

You guys are awesome! Time to order a ATV or two...
xeonicxpression Wrote:So I downloaded the app and it doesn't appear to run on these macs. It says not supported on this architecture. In "about this mac" it says 1.8ghz PowerPC G5. I assume the PowerPc part is the problem? It's OSX 10.5.5.

ATVUSB-Creator currently requires an Intel based OSX system. This might change in a future release as I actually stripped the PPC code from the download to make it smaller. The only real issue is some intel only software tools that are used during the construction of the flash drive image.

Quite frankly, I never even thought about running ATVUSB-Creator under PPC OSX even though I have OSX PPC boxes around for testing.

If you want to be a OSX PPC tester, PM me and I'll see what I can do in a few days.
+1 for ATVUSB-Creator on PowerPC (PPC) Nod

...I can imagine quite a few Mac users who own a Apple TV (or buying one now) that only have a PowerPC (PPC) Mac as their only computer at home.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
I would help you beta test it, but I'm not sure how much use I would be. I only go to campus twice a week and it's a 15 minute drive each way. I wouldn't really be able to try and format the stick, then pop it in the appletv and try again etc. It would be days between trials. I'm sure there are a lot of people with PPC's at home that would love to help. There is a room of imacs close to where the G5's were. Some goofy looking guy had a whole classroom full of students in there so I couldn't go in and check them. His class ends in 10 mins, so I'm going to head up there in a little bit and check them out. I have to go back to campus for a play tonight anyway. It's funny, my school has somewhere in the neighborhood of 800 dell computers. They replace all of the dells every year, but yet we still have a bunch of PPC macs.No If the imacs are Intel then I'll make the stick before the play and try it out tomorrow and report back my experience. How long should it take to make the stick?
I just managed to install the lot on my AppleTV, made it a thousand times more useful. Thanks Davilla, and everyone that's working on this.

I have a few questions:

1. For some reason, XBMC seems to think my TV has a resolution of 1280x1080 when in full screen, even if it's set to 720p in the AppleTV main menu. Doesn't seem to be a problem really but I'd like to know why it does this.

2. Is there any backdoor way I can go to enable the context menu with the Apple Remote? Like some setting where if I hold down menu or play/pause then the context menu comes up.

3. There is a setting for scanning the library on startup, however I try not to shut XBMC down at all unless it crashes. With no context menu it's kinda hard to rescan the library when new stuff get's downloaded. Is there any way to trigger a rescan every X hours or so?

Thanks again.
+2 for ATVUSB-Creator on PowerPC (PPC)

very interested in this also!
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[APPLE TV] XBMC for Mac (Atlantis Beta 1) on the Apple TV3