• 9(current)
[APPLE TV] XBMC for Mac (Atlantis Beta 1) on the Apple TV
Zedlic Wrote:1. For some reason, XBMC seems to think my TV has a resolution of 1280x1080 when in full screen, even if it's set to 720p in the AppleTV main menu. Doesn't seem to be a problem really but I'd like to know why it does this.

2. Is there any backdoor way I can go to enable the context menu with the Apple Remote? Like some setting where if I hold down menu or play/pause then the context menu comes up.

3. There is a setting for scanning the library on startup, however I try not to shut XBMC down at all unless it crashes. With no context menu it's kinda hard to rescan the library when new stuff get's downloaded. Is there any way to trigger a rescan every X hours or so?

1) you are not in Fullscreen mode I think. settings->resolution->screen-> 1280x720 (Full Screen)

2) see http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=2...post228154 for xbmc_remote.

3) punt to another xbmc dev Smile
1) Does the Patchstick install and activate AFP?

2) Will additional plugins, like Sapphire, ATVFiles, NitoTV and CouchSurfer, be installed down the road? Not too hard to add these manually but would be nice to have the Installer do it.

3) Ditto for Perian?

Thx Davilla for putting this together for the community!
davilla Wrote:1) you are not in Fullscreen mode I think. settings->resolution->screen-> 1280x720 (Full Screen)

2) see http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=2...post228154 for xbmc_remote.

3) punt to another xbmc dev Smile

No I'm in full screen mode, it's just that the only video mode that says (full screen) is 1280x1080 when I have a 720p TV. There is no "1280x720 (Full Screen)" option, even though the AppleTV main menu is set to 720p.

As for the other stuff, thanks.
davilla first i would like to thank you for making this happen. I was dreaming about getting XBMC to work on AppleTV, and I found this thread today and was so excited. I am going to go buy me an AppleTV this weekend! But right now I would like to ask you and anyone else in here some questions before I make the purchase.

1) I have a powermac g5 dual 2.7ghz desktop that I use to store all my media on... Will I be able to stream media off of it onto the AppleTV (Running XBMC of course)?

2) Will the menus/interface of XBMC be in 1080p? I Have a Samsung 1080p LCD HDTV by the way. Will be connecting the AppleTV to my TV via HDMI.

3) Is it possible to use my sony PS3 remote control with it?

4) Is there a way to get AppleTV to bootup automatically into XBMC and bypassing the default AppleTV interface? I plan on using XBMC exclusively and won't be interested in using the built in ATV TakeTwo OS at all.

5) Will I be able to use the default AppleTV remote to control all the various aspects of XBMC?

6) Will I be able to change themes and modify and add plugins to XBMC?

7) If so, how do I go about doing this? I heard you have to configure and edit a lot of files in order to install different themes and settings. Can someone briefly explain how? I am guessing via ssh? Open up terminal and ssh into ATV and edit config files?

8) I don't own an Intel Mac, will I be able to install XBMC onto my AppleTV? What size USB Flash drive should I get in order to install XBMC?

9) If for some reason I want to go back to using the default AppleTV's TakeTwo OS again, is it possible to restore back to factory defaults?

10) is XBMC stable enough for me to use on AppleTV?

11) Do I have to be running a certain version of the AppleTV OS in order to install XBMC?

Sorry for all the questions. I just want to be sure before I go out and buy an AppleTV that this will definetly work out for me.

You all have been very helpful and I'm thankful for the developers hard at work for making this a reality!!! Smile Smile
This is phantastic, great that the USB-stick-version is out now. I will give it a try on the weekend.

For now, I habe a "traditionally" installed XBMC on my ATV. Have a couple of questions here, which I didnt manage to solve yet:

1) How can I open context menus without installing a mouse? This would be important for me to manually add TV shows as well as to delete previously created network locations.

2) How can I use the harddisk attached to my airport extreme? My airport extreme shows up in the network environment, but the harddisk does not (probably because there is a password on it). it properly shows up on my mac mini though, but not on ATV.

3) All of my movies show up twice in library mode. Thoughts how I can change this?

4) And one question on the new USB stick: does this stick work as a complete patchstick? Do I "lose" anything if I set my already patched ATV back to factory mode and patch it with this new stick?

Many thanks again and best!!!
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
My Apple TV is hacked and I installed the XMBC, i love the interface however none of my videos which are in avi format do not show up when I scan for them. I am new to XBMC espically since it just came out on the Apple TV. Any suggestions ??
turbinez Wrote:1) I have a powermac g5 dual 2.7ghz desktop that I use to store all my media on... Will I be able to stream media off of it onto the AppleTV (Running XBMC of course)?

Yes, but it depends very much on your router and WLAN cards how good this goes. Music and photos are non-issues. For movies, a N-router and respective cards would be better (still works without though).

turbinez Wrote:2) Will the menus/interface of XBMC be in 1080p? I Have a Samsung 1080p LCD HDTV by the way. Will be connecting the AppleTV to my TV via HDMI.

Yes

turbinez Wrote:3) Is it possible to use my sony PS3 remote control with it?

Dont think so unless you also open the bluetooth with you ATV, which again creates more things to do for you. Can someone confirm

turbinez Wrote:5) Will I be able to use the default AppleTV remote to control all the various aspects of XBMC?

Yes

turbinez Wrote:6) Will I be able to change themes and modify and add plugins to XBMC?

Yes, but some exceptions remain (eg, itunes support)

turbinez Wrote:7) If so, how do I go about doing this? I heard you have to configure and edit a lot of files in order to install different themes and settings. Can someone briefly explain how? I am guessing via ssh? Open up terminal and ssh into ATV and edit config files?

Thats probably the more elegant way. You can also do it over FTP.

turbinez Wrote:8) I don't own an Intel Mac, will I be able to install XBMC onto my AppleTV? What size USB Flash drive should I get in order to install XBMC?

Currently, you still need an Intel Mac to create the USB disk. Get a 512MB stick (NOT U3).

turbinez Wrote:9) If for some reason I want to go back to using the default AppleTV's TakeTwo OS again, is it possible to restore back to factory defaults?

Yes

turbinez Wrote:10) is XBMC stable enough for me to use on AppleTV?

Yes
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
steve thanks for taking the time to answer all my questions...

as far as my router setup. I have an airport extreme 802.11g router. But I plan on getting the new one with 802.11n and 3 gigabit ethernet ports. I am going to go wired and not wireless. I am wiring my g5, appletv directly to the router. So that should take care of all my problems about streaming.

I hope appletv has gigabit ethernet on it.

Also do you guys suggest i get the smaller HD version of the ATV or go for the 160GB? Since most of my media is going to be streamed anyways from my G5. I don't think I would need all that space and plus it will save me some money.
Zedlic Wrote:No I'm in full screen mode, it's just that the only video mode that says (full screen) is 1280x1080 when I have a 720p TV. There is no "1280x720 (Full Screen)" option, even though the AppleTV main menu is set to 720p.

So when you go to the screen resolutions and click through all the settings you do not see a setting that say "1280 x 720 (Full Screen) ?
tuckbodi Wrote:1) Does the Patchstick install and activate AFP?

2) Will additional plugins, like Sapphire, ATVFiles, NitoTV and CouchSurfer, be installed down the road? Not too hard to add these manually but would be nice to have the Installer do it.

3) Ditto for Perian?

Thx Davilla for putting this together for the community!

1) not yet but working on a solution for that, SMB client is present internal in XBMC.

2) yes

3) maybe NitoTV does it and I would need to look into it.
turbinez Wrote:1) I have a powermac g5 dual 2.7ghz desktop that I use to store all my media on... Will I be able to stream media off of it onto the AppleTV (Running XBMC of course)?

2) Will the menus/interface of XBMC be in 1080p? I Have a Samsung 1080p LCD HDTV by the way. Will be connecting the AppleTV to my TV via HDMI.

3) Is it possible to use my sony PS3 remote control with it?

4) Is there a way to get AppleTV to bootup automatically into XBMC and bypassing the default AppleTV interface? I plan on using XBMC exclusively and won't be interested in using the built in ATV TakeTwo OS at all.

5) Will I be able to use the default AppleTV remote to control all the various aspects of XBMC?

6) Will I be able to change themes and modify and add plugins to XBMC?

7) If so, how do I go about doing this? I heard you have to configure and edit a lot of files in order to install different themes and settings. Can someone briefly explain how? I am guessing via ssh? Open up terminal and ssh into ATV and edit config files?

8) I don't own an Intel Mac, will I be able to install XBMC onto my AppleTV? What size USB Flash drive should I get in order to install XBMC?

9) If for some reason I want to go back to using the default AppleTV's TakeTwo OS again, is it possible to restore back to factory defaults?

10) is XBMC stable enough for me to use on AppleTV?

11) Do I have to be running a certain version of the AppleTV OS in order to install XBMC?

1) SMB mounts, yes today. AFP mount in the future.

2) Yes, there seems to be some issue with 1080p but it's not a show stopper and will be resolved as soon as we understand it. I have a 1080p HDTV myself.

3) If USB, you would need to enabled USB devices which involves patching the mach_kernel. Possible but not right now.

4) Yes, but you also need a helper app that keeps watchdog from thinking frontrow has crashed and rebooting the AppleTV after 5 mins.

5) not everything but there always is xbmc_remote.

6), 7) need to use ssh to install additional themes.

8) looking into a PPC flavor of atvusb-creator.

9) AppleTV factory restore

10) I use it Smile

11) Take two series, the plugin code is different for take one series and is not compatible with our current code.
turbinez Wrote:I am going to go wired and not wireless. I am wiring my g5, appletv directly to the router. So that should take care of all my problems about streaming.

I hope appletv has gigabit ethernet on it.

Also do you guys suggest i get the smaller HD version of the ATV or go for the 160GB? Since most of my media is going to be streamed anyways from my G5. I don't think I would need all that space and plus it will save me some money.

Wired, smart move.

10/100T and that's fine for streaming. You don't need GigE.

My three have 40GB, well one really has a 120GB but that an Linux dev box so I need the space.
davilla, thanks again!

is there any complete step by step instructions for mac users on how to install XBMC on the latest AppleTV?

I checked the first post but it took me to a wiki page. I was wondering if theres a direct link to a well written tutorial possibly with screenshots that walks you through the entire process? And also links you on where to get the necessary files needed to get XBMC installed on the new AppleTV?
ok, i got my videos working, now i have a list that i want to get rid of, any answers??
turbinez Wrote:davilla, thanks again!

is there any complete step by step instructions for mac users on how to install XBMC on the latest AppleTV?

I checked the first post but it took me to a wiki page. I was wondering if theres a direct link to a well written tutorial possibly with screenshots that walks you through the entire process? And also links you on where to get the necessary files needed to get XBMC installed on the new AppleTV?

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMC_for_Mac_on_Apple_TV
  • 9(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[APPLE TV] XBMC for Mac (Atlantis Beta 1) on the Apple TV3