• 1(current)
Still High CPU usage in Beta1
Sadly, still high CPU usage in Beta 1 related to Vertical Blank Sync
And which graphics card?
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Exactly the same issues as described in my previous topic: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=36387 , with the exception that computer 1 (the 8400/8800GT) now shows a CPU usage of 54% in idle mode.

As you can see it's not related to say ATI or even nVidia but to an OpenGL inconsistency within XBMC (not only for windows but Linux too)

It's not a problem on Computer 1 and 2, but the CPU on 3 is passively cooled and when XBMC is constantly running at a 100% would definitely decrease the lifespan of the CPU.

I was so hoping this issue was fixed in beta1.
I have 8400GT fanless and do not see the high cpu usage on linux.

I am below 5%.

So, it isn't a global issue.

We need to narrow down some differences (such as possible vsync settings).

Hard to fix issues is we don't see them ourselves. So, if you have a way to reproduce, then please let us know.

Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
Mine stays up around 84% when listening to music but doesnt seem to slow anything down.

I'm running Vista x64 along with 4GB's of RAM + 8800GT 1024MB.
Done with alpha4.......same results with beta 1
In the trac there are quite some enries regarding the same issue platform wide

Reproduced the events on a clean XP SP3 install. For testing purposes XP screen is set for 800x600 and XBMC is always started from the .exe (not via shortcut) so userdata will be created in XBMC's path.

01. Clean install. XBMC starts in windowed mode (settings say "Auto")
02. Enabled "Enable Debug Logging"
03. CPU Usage is around 25%
04. Vsync is default: "Always enabled"

05. Set resolution to 800x600 (fullscreen)
06. Restart XBMC. Screen shows a constant 100% CPU usage
07. Goto screen Settings -> One click on Vsync's UP button
08. "Vsync Disabled" -> CPU goes down to 35%

09. Restart XBMC. Screen shows again a constant 100% CPU usage
10. Same as above but now "Enabled during Video Playback"
11. CPU goes down to 35% and back to a 100% when restarted

Whilst in the settings screen only, changing back to "Enabled" causes the CPU to increase from 35 to 100. The other settings will remain around 35

Various setting are saved in the "guisettings.xml" (0,1,2)

Logfile: http://www.pastebin.ca/1186502
Another thing. How are you looking at the cpu usage? Don't trust what XBMC reports. That seems to be off. Use "top" in linux.

My %cpu for xbmc.bin is showing 6% on home screen right now.

My vsync inside XBMC is Disabled all the time. Not sure that matters.

I am also using the 177.70 BETA drivers. Don't think that matter either.

I have tested with Vsync on/off from within opengl settings of nvidia settings manager. Still low cpu.

Don't even have to look at taskmanager or something like that. Just feeling my CPU cooler tells my that the CPU is running waaaaaay too hot.

Some trac entries:

http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/4462
http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/4382

Maybe you should try it on a windows or MAC (has the same problem according to topics) machine.

Haven't got that many computers here, but the same high CPU usage and Vsync issues on three different machines whith a freshly installed OS and ditto XBMC should say something.
hmmm. The problem for us must be confined to certain areas because i was just watching a TV show and cpu usage stays around 8% for that. I read the usage while in XBMC because it shows up on the screen on my G15 keyboard.
The solution IS to disable VSYNC (as stated in the posts). It drops down CPU usage sygnificantly on ALL machines. The problem is that when XBMC is restarted it goes back to a 100%, regardles what the setting say in XBMC.
And another thing (also mentioned in topics before), CPU usage drop immediately when content (an avi) is shown to a staggering 1%.
If you have not already filed a TRAC report, please do so. Include full details (xbmc.log please).

Thanks!

tslayer Wrote:Don't trust what XBMC reports. That seems to be off. Use "top" in linux.

Haven't got linux Blush

But "taskmanager shows the same CPU usage as XBMC does, which is around 50% (on the intel 8400/8800GT)
I get the same results DragonFly reports, including the switching off Vsynch (in XMBC settings) but once restarting XMBC it being back to high-usage and massive Fan noise.

Nvidia 8600GT 177.92 Driver
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Still High CPU usage in Beta10