• 4(current)
Still High CPU usage in Beta1
quick update when is windowed mode cpu uage on xbmc proccess is about 1%, odd very odd
after doing some more testing i found the following.

with vsync turned on full screen and windowed mode both use 54% cpu

but when vsync disabled cpu usage ranges between 1 and 6%.
Again, if anybody can compile, I have a *potential* fix.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
tslayer Wrote:Again, if anybody can compile, I have a *potential* fix.

I just use it as default don't build it or anything ! I'm sure someone will stumble across this thread eventually though that will be able to try compile it. Nod
The fix looks good on my PC and is in svn now.
Thanks Tslayer.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
No problem..

FYI, it isn't win32 specific... Affects linux too.

WiSo Wrote:Nope but I take it not that seriously than you. I know that XBMC still eats a lot of CPU performance in the gui and I won't deny it but I wanted to show that it's difficult to track down if I can't reproduce it.

Sorry, Wiso. Didn't mean to be harsh or offending. It's indeed a big deal to me, because XBMC at this point might be damaging hardware AND if the CPU/vsync issue is not taken seriously it might linger on in next builds.

Again, my apologies
Hi All,

I've just done a fresh complie at rev15638 for XP, which includes the fix. Unfortunately I'm still getting 97-100% CPU in the GUI.

I'm running XP SP3
Acer Laptop with Intel 915GM onboard graphics

I've tried various v-synch settings.

Is there anything else I should try?

Cheers,
ST
If you enable it via settings does it drop down? This fix was to make sure vsync was disabled on startup as well.

If you are having higher cpu even after changing it in the gui (and remaining in the gui) then you must have a different issue.

Also, you are on Intel, so probably different...

Thanx to Shotgun Ted for trying his build.

Got mixed results. This build does............eh something. With Vsync OFF on the intel 8400/8800GT CPU values vary between 0% and 51%

On the P4/Intel GMA915 it's between 0 and with recurring spikes of a 100%
The good thing is it does not remain a 100% constantly.

The VSYNC off option now remains off during restart with the somewhat lower CPU usage
DragonFly Wrote:Thanx to Shotgun Ted for trying his build.

Got mixed results. This build does............eh something. With Vsync OFF on the intel 8400/8800GT CPU values vary between 0% and 51%

On the P4/Intel GMA915 it's between 0 and with recurring spikes of a 100%
The good thing is it does not remain a 100% constantly.

The VSYNC off option now remains off during restart with the somewhat lower CPU usage

Can you tell me how i can use his build? If its not too much hassle ! Big Grin .Trying to learn as much as i can about XBMC.
Nvm i found the thread on it !
For what it's worth, I added another vsync option.

On Linux and Nvidia, I got the lowest CPU usage (< 5%) when idle when I decided to do NOTHING.

What that means is, I don't disable Vsync, I don't enable it. I just let the driver do what it wants. Since I have vsync enabled in the driver itself (from Nvidia control panel), why is there a need for me to have anything done in XBMC itself?

Anyhow, I added this option now to XBMC:

"Let Driver Choose (requires restart)"

At least with my combination, that gives me < 5% cpu when idle on home screen.

I know this is the windows forum, but maybe it can help.

So, in short:

Grphx: NVIDIA 8600GT
Driver: NVIDIA BETA 177.70
Driver Settings from NVIDIA Control Panel: Vsync Enabled for OpenGL
XBMC Setting: Let Driver Choose

Later,

TS

tslayer,

Thanks for sticking with us on this!

I've done a fresh build with the latest option for vsynch included.

If I set vsynch off in the video driver on the laptop and then set XBMC to let driver decide, I get CPU usage about 30% +/- 2 or 3%

If I set vsynch on in the video driver (default is on) and then set XBMC to let driver decide, I get maxed out CPU at 100%.

Basically, if vsynch is enabled at driver level then I get the maxed out CPU, whatever setting I choose in XBMC.

ST
Thanks for addressing the problem Tslayer, your fix helped to reduce the high CPU usage.

The fact remains there is something wrong with the way OpenGL renders it's GUI in XBMC. Although more present in the Windows platform than others, there must be some call which causes a 100% CPU usage. I mean that's a LOT. The only time I experience 100% usage, is when an application hangs.

Most ideally is for the Devs to have test machines which can reproduce the problems described in this and other topics. Until then please rely on the information the "Victims of Vsync" give you.Smile
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Still High CPU usage in Beta10