Cheap way of getting kodi hardware offline for family
(2023-06-16, 21:29)calev Wrote: If you can get a rpi4 at msrp it's a great kodi board and I would highly recommend. Especially if you pair it with the Argon ONE V2 Aluminum  case. Anything over msrp you can find a board that performs better. ODROID-C4 is a great example

The Chinese boxes I mentioned above use the same processor (or a slightly different varient) as the ODROID-C4 you just have to flash them. A proper single board computer does feel safer but you also pay more.

odroid is at least based in south korea ... i guess that's better?

i could have saved a lot of my time if i knew we were boycotting chinese devices
It's mostly the Chinese android roms that really do have malware. Linus from techtips pointed it out in that video I linked earlier.   But if you run a open source os like corelec/lineageOs it's mostly a non issue. I guess there could be some hidden spyware in the firmware but that is almost always the case. Including x86 processors.
(2023-06-16, 16:19)meridius Wrote: Was going to ask if there is a good Bluetooth remote as I not keen on ir remotes but if not that will have to do. I do have a flirc On my pc and only use it to wake the system.

Playstation 3 Bluetooth Media Remote is a nice solution - though it may have too many keys for some.  Quality unit though - feels nice to use.
Do you just need a Bluetooth device and how do you get that to work with kodi.

Thanks

Might just wait and try and get a raspberry pi 4 as they’re the cheapest and that should play everything and run kodi skins smoothly as these are elderly parents and not into anything to complex. What memory version is the better option.
(2023-06-18, 11:47)meridius Wrote: What memory version is the better option.

It turned out that the 1GB version couldn't handle the graphics decoding routines of the new GPU software too well, but that wasn't a thing for Raspberry Pi thing only. Other brands of boxes with 1GB had similar problems when decoding HEVC, 10bit, HDR etc.

So, 2GB has been fine AFAICT, personally I chose the RPi4 4GB version from the start because I also wanted to run server things on it. If the 8GB version had come out right away, I would have chosen that one.
So it would be pointless getting the 8gb version over the 4gb version as the 4gb would be more than enough ? Or would the 8gb version do anything better
(2023-06-19, 07:08)meridius Wrote: So it would be pointless getting the 8gb version over the 4gb version as the 4gb would be more than enough ? Or would the 8gb version do anything better

No need for the 8GB model for Kodi stuff, the 4GB version is more than enough.  (The 8GB model was a later addition to the range).  As others have said - you can get away with the 2GB model in reality. It's only the 1GB model that has some issues with newer codecs and Kodi versions.
thanks all for the help
youre welcome, hope you found yourself a nice European, Japanese or Korean box
I wish but i am married and no more boxes for me, lol
(2023-06-25, 12:02)meridius Wrote: I wish but i am married and no more boxes for me, lol

Laugh
hi all me again just a quick question

1. is this relay the cheapest way as it all works out at £100 for the 4gb version for the pi the case the hdmi cable and boot storage card and the PSU.
2.  is it not cheaper or better to get a small form factor PC 2nd hand and instal a kodi operating system on there not windows ? 
something like this Lenovo ThinkCentre M93p - Intel Core i3-4130T - 8GB RAM - 500GB HDD | Stone Refurb with windows 10  For £70 
3. even a 2nd hand xbox one x with kodi on it would work ?

or is not worth the saving and hassle and just get a pi for the price difference.  it seems it racks up in price with all  the extras 

3. my friend says it might not recognise an external hard drive on the pi as its formatted as windows  nfts is this true as most movies are over 10gb and the hard drives are 20tb. and i want to be able to dump movies back and forth on the drive using windows but using the pi to access it ?

thanks all
(2023-06-30, 19:16)meridius Wrote: is it not cheaper or better to get a small form factor PC 2nd hand and instal a kodi operating system on there not windows ? 

A (2nd hand) PC will always draw more power than a Rpi device. And most of the time it produces more noise, and is much bigger in size. All of that is not a big incentive to place one next to your big TV screen.

(2023-06-30, 19:16)meridius Wrote: my friend says it might not recognise an external hard drive on the pi as its formatted as windows nfts. is this true as most movies are over 10gb and the hard drives are 20tb.

Your friend (and you?) are a *BLEEP*. Linux has longtime ntfs-3g support, and has improved NTFS3 support with the latest Linux kernels.

Also, the maximum size of a single file in NTFS is 256TB. I think your long movie files will be fine.
(2023-06-30, 19:16)meridius Wrote: hi all me again just a quick question

3. my friend says it might not recognise an external hard drive on the pi as its formatted as windows  nfts is this true as most movies are over 10gb and the hard drives are 20tb. and i want to be able to dump movies back and forth on the drive using windows but using the pi to access it ?

thanks all

I have Pis running LibreElec with 20TB drives with NTFS and movie files upwards of 50GB with no issues.

Thanks,

Jeff
Running with the Mezzmo Kodi addon.  The easier way to share your media with multiple Kodi clients.
Service.autostop , CBC Sports, Kodi Selective Cleaner and Mezzmo Kodi addon author.
I have a total of 142TB on 27 NTFSformatted external HDD's connected to 4 Pi4 running LibreELEC 11 & 12 nightlies without any problems so far.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cheap way of getting kodi hardware offline for family0