Arrows don't work on keyboard
I use a remote and have an arrow pad bound to the direction arrows (left, right, up, down). When I try to use the on-screen keyboard in the skin the arrows don't work to move the selected letter around so I have to plug in a mouse or keyboard to type something. Is this intentional or an oversight?
i just had the same problem after installing the new beta version. arrows on kbd wont work
Have you tried it in PM3, do the arrows work in it?
Actually no, just tried PM3 and they don't work there either. Is this a problem that's inherited from PM3 then or is this the intended functionality?
Sounds like your remote is sending keyboard actions (or at least we're interpreting them as such). How are you running the remote? An event client, or some third party thing?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

jmarshall Wrote:Sounds like your remote is sending keyboard actions (or at least we're interpreting them as such). How are you running the remote? An event client, or some third party thing?

My remote has a 3rd party client (iMON) that interprets the events and translates them to keyboard keys. I have the d-pad on my remote mapped to the directional arrows on my keyboard. Though it makes sense that if you have a keyboard you'd use the letters to type with, in this case it would be very helpful to be able to navigate it with the arrow keys as well.
The arrow keys are useful for navigating within the text string, however, so we're damned if we do and you're damned if we don't.

Tricky one.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

Well for a permanent solution I think the easiest way to satisfy both is to have the arrow keys only navigate the text string if the focus is on the text field.

Looking at my keymap.xml file I'm a bit confused. I see that the gamepad has no overrides for the d-pad, so the gamepad d-pad should follow the global keymap, right? So I think this means that for a gamepad, the Left/Right/Up/Down commands (which are mapped to the d-pad in the global mapping) navigate the virtual keyboard keys by default. Why then, do the Keyboard arrows not do the same? There is no keyboard section that overrides them in the VirtualKeyboard section, so again they're just mapped to Up/Down/Left/Right same as the gamepad d-pad... so shouldn't they behave the same?
I think it must have something to do with focus being on the keyboard when using the gamepad, and on the title when using the remote? Only way I could figure it. Unless the dpad isn't handled as keystrokes...
Actually, looking over the xml i have no idea why it behaves differently...weird :|
Correct - the edit control has focus. You can't currently move from it to the rest of the keys, but that would certainly be a way through this problem. Unfortunately, it's not likely to be done prior to Atlantis being released, as there's too many things that might break.

I will certainly look into it after Atlantis - please post a trac ticket about it so I don't forget.

Cheers,
Jonathan

OK, logged: http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/4959
Couldn't you just send a tab keystroke to tab off the edit control and into the keyboard. Once you are in the keyboard you should be able to use the arrow keys to navigate around and sending <enter> when you want to select a letter. If you want to get back to the edit control couldn't you just tab back to it?
Nope, it's not set up like that. I've tried Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Arrows don't work on keyboard1