Annoying Xbox/Windows/Kodi bug when using multiple hard drives to stream media.
I have three external hard drives plugged into my Xbox Series X for media storage: they all are found by the Xbox and work flawlessly....except the drive letters reset every time I restart the console. This wouldn't normally be an issue, but I use Kodi to stream media, which needs all links to be exact to find the file. This often means that while Kodi is looking for a file on drive D: for example, the Xbox has renamed that drive E: for some reason?! I've tried plugging them in in a particular order, only unplugging one at a time to try and remember the drive letters, and hard resetting and it seems to be completely random.

Is this a Xbox or Windows issue? I load new media onto the external HDDs via a Windows laptop, could this be reallocating the the drive letters every time, or is it purely on the Xbox-read side?

Is there any way I can force a drive letter that would carry across both Windows and my console?
xbox and windows issue - xbox runs a downscale version of windows

kodi is not in charge of drive letter assignment so you will need to locate a tutorial for xbox, if it is possible on xbox the best solution would be to assign the drive letters at the end of the alphabet Z:, Y:, X: but this still may not work and may not be available on xbox
(2023-07-11, 16:44)jepsizofye Wrote: xbox and windows issue - xbox runs a downscale version of windows

kodi is not in charge of drive letter assignment so you will need to locate a tutorial for xbox, if it is possible on xbox the best solution would be to assign the drive letters at the end of the alphabet Z:, Y:, X: but this still may not work and may not be available on xbox

Thanks for the speedy response! Agreed, I don't think Kodi is to blame, I've managed to rename the drives on my laptop as X/Y/Z and as soon as I plug them in the Xbox it immediately renames them as D/E/F (in a random order!) - I think the issue might be because my laptop already has C/D drives so somewhere along the line something is getting mixed up. I've asked in some Xbox subreddits but no-one seems to have any idea, so I guess I might just be screwed!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Annoying Xbox/Windows/Kodi bug when using multiple hard drives to stream media.0