GBM standalone on linux -- no display
I've been running Kodi for some time on a Manjaro linux box, with an AMD Ryzen 2200G APU.  System's been running fine under X11/Kwin for some time (auto-login for user, start Kodi via .xinitrc).  Unfortunately, Manjaro has gone all in on pipewire, and frankly, the experience is poor-- audio takes several second to sync up, excessive stuttering, etc.  So, after doing research, I figured that switching to kodi-gbm would solve most of my issues, and allow me more direct access to hardware (as well as reverting to pulseaudio, which has always worked well for me).

After a bit of finagling to get the system auto-starting the kodi-gbm.service, with appropriate rights, group membership, file ownerships, etc., the system is now at the point where kodi-standalone loads just fine, communicates with my HDMI port correctly, and everything seems to work-- moving the cursor with the remote causes GUI sounds, it connects to the database, and I can even connect to the web server.

But there's no display.  Just a black screen.

Kodi / Hardware info:

Starting Kodi (20.2 (20.2.0) Git:20230629-nogitfound). Platform: Linux x86 64-bit
Using Release Kodi x64
Kodi compiled 2023-06-29 by GCC 13.1.1 for Linux x86 64-bit version 6.3.0 (393984)
Running on Manjaro Linux 23.0.0, kernel: Linux x86 64-bit version 6.1.38-1-MANJARO
FFmpeg version/source: 4.4.1-Kodi
Host CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 2200G with Radeon Vega Graphics    , 4 cores available

Debug log:

https://paste.kodi.tv/ilerepebah.kodi

I believe the issue is this:

debug <general>: EGL Debugging:
                Error: EGL_BAD_SURFACE
                Command: eglSwapBuffers
                Type: EGL_DEBUG_MSG_ERROR_KHR

If I understand GBM correctly, the buffer is being created, but the call that actually displays the buffer is failing.

As near as I can tell, the AMD GPU drivers are correctly loaded, GL/EGL is there, DRI access is working, and it's finding the available video modes correctly.

I'm stumped.  Suggestions?

--grat
After doing some testing on a second Manjaro box, it became apparent most of the problems I was encountering were not "normal".

So I rebuilt the system with a minimalist arch install, and so far, appears to be working.

But if anyone has any suggestions on what might have been wrong, I'd love to hear it.  Smile

--grat

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
GBM standalone on linux -- no display0