Solved Can only play and stop Mp4 video> Can't pause
Hello. I'm currently only able to play and then stop mp4 video files. I'm wanting to also pause. This is on a current fresh install of Kodi on Windows 11. I just want to make sure this isn't just a limitation of Kodi and this file format before I dig in further to debug. The video files do work in VLC where I can pause while playing.
Not a limitation.  Obvious Q, how are you trying to pause?  Enabling debug-level logging in system settings then restarting Kodi and playing/attempting to pause should provide some troubleshooting detail. Copy and paste log contents to paste.kodi.tv so we can review.

scott s.

Thanks for confirming! I am trying the keyboard shortcut and on screen UI. I only see a stop button. I just realized I can't jump forward or back as well with mp4 videos. Knowing it's not a limitation, which I thought, I'm going to debug a bit myself. If I get stuck I'll report back with a proper description and logs. Thanks again!
Doing some log digging I found a few things that looked interesting but I wasn't able to figure out my specific issue from them. It looks like the logs do have the video metadata. I'm sure it's something with how these specific files are encoded. They are all from the same source. If it comes down to needing to convert to a more usable type I can look into that in the future. I will post the logs below. 

The videos play without video or audio issue in Kodi. As stated I only have the option to stop the videos when playing. I cannot pause or jump forward.

Log file: https://paste.kodi.tv/gibowikufi.kodi
Sometimes bad muxing causes problems for the skip function. You can try remuxing the files.
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Yea this was my thought after the logs didn't really have anything obvious. Thanks!
Quick update. I just ran a video through handbrake and it's good now. Was hoping to avoid this step but is what it is. Thanks again all. Not sure if I need to mark this as complete or solved in some way?
I take it; that the issue was solved with a remuxing.

Thread marked solved.
Seeing this:

Code:
DVDDemuxFFmpeg::Open - probing detected format [matroska,webm] 
<general>: CDVDDemuxFFmpeg::Open - avformat_find_stream_info starting 
<general>: CDVDDemuxFFmpeg::Open - av_find_stream_info finished
<general>: ffmpeg[0x1ffb2ea9440]: Input #0, matroska,webm, from 'C:\Users\james\Videos\Online Fest\The Longest Johns - Shrewsbur Folk Festival.mp4':

makes me wonder why a file muxed as matroska has an mp4 file extension?  I think maybe a quick run through ffmpeg rather than using handbrake (AFAIK doesn't that always re-encode the video?) would suffice if it's just a muxing issue.

scott s.
Can anyone explain to me how to fix this? For reasons, pretend like I'm pretty dumb.

Just finding this thread took me two days.

Thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can only play and stop Mp4 video> Can't pause0