Support for WTV files? Microsoft Windows Media Center recording format
Or can it be compiled to use the version already installed on your pc like in linux? I don't mind downloading the source and compiling it myself.
smee204 Wrote:Any idea if there are plans to update the version of FFmpeg bundled with windows xbmc for the release of Eden?

Any news about when we will be able to play wtv files in XBMC?

Thanks Smile
Seems, some guys aren't able to read...
smee204 Wrote:Seems to work on linux but it is not stable on windows.

It's stable. All my HTPCs are Windows based.
I can still not play wtv files without issues. If I skip then the video normally closes. Also sometimes randomly the video closes just in the middle of playing. This also sometimes happens playing mpeg files from mythtv.
Log file of video suddenly stopping mid video play. http://pastebin.com/QnCHthtH
Log file of video exiting after seeking http://pastebin.com/vhfR1WSU

All the videos are stored on my server and played over the network. I normally start videos playing using the xbmc remote for android.

Any help why this is not working for me? I am using a new nightly build and have tried various different builds over the last month.

Thanks
There won't be an ffmpeg update for Eden. The plan is to update right after the Eden release.
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
I was having some luck playing WTV files with the nightly builds of Eden. It plays the files but at about 20-25 minutes into a show, it stops playing and kicks me back to the XBMC menu. I also noticed that it doesn't let you click on the timeline bar to skip to a certain point and you can only fast forward up to a certain speed before it gets cranky. This was my experience a few weeks ago on the nightly builds, haven't tried it since. I look forward to seeing the official release of Eden but I will probably have my ForTheRecord setup finished by then so I can dump WMC like a bad habit.
Macgyver33 Wrote:I was having some luck playing WTV files with the nightly builds of Eden. It plays the files but at about 20-25 minutes into a show, it stops playing and kicks me back to the XBMC menu. I also noticed that it doesn't let you click on the timeline bar to skip to a certain point and you can only fast forward up to a certain speed before it gets cranky. This was my experience a few weeks ago on the nightly builds, haven't tried it since. I look forward to seeing the official release of Eden but I will probably have my ForTheRecord setup finished by then so I can dump WMC like a bad habit.

Just to confirm for you, the WTV problem you describe is caused by using xbmc build against an older version of ffmpeg.
Would this be a leftover item from a Dharma version of XBMC I might have previously had on that machine or is that a codec that might have come with the version of Windows I am using?

This is on a Windows Home Server v1 (Server 2003) machine so I wouldn't be surprised if it is just an old version that came with the OS. I also have problems with video stutter if I try to play WTV files with VLC on that machine as well.

Is there a newer version of ffmpeg that might run on Server 2003 that would fix this issue?
Thumbs Up 
this is my solution for start playing wtv files in xbmc:

http://josy1024.blogspot.com/2011/11/xbm...-1072.html

hope you can enjoy too ;-)
regards
Hello,

Just giving this thread a bump. I to have the issues mentioned above, and the file only plays for 20-30 minutes.

Any update on progress of updating ffmpeg?

I am using Eden.

Thanks
Sad 
When I turn the WTV files into DVR-MS files, their playback on Linux is awful, choppy and has no sound. I use Windows Media Center to get the files, but that is it's own problem, because half the time it doesn't do what I want - anyone know what's going on?
I know some stuff, too - if your files are awful, like mine, try Format Factory - LATEST VERSION - and they should convert. Still, that's a lot of trouble just to watch a video. I'm trying to find a way around this, so I try using my AverTV Green HD (A835) so that I can watch TV without needing to switch PCs, but there's no drive/firmware. HELP!
ShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShocked
I thought i would post my WTV experience here instead of starting a new thread.

First - great work on Eden, glad to see WTV is in there now.

However, it only detects and plays back the first audio track - which on some of my programmes (from BBC HD) is the audio description track.

This actually also occurs in VLC so I suspect it is a FFMPEG issue - hopefully someone can confirm but when I searched there was an FFMPEG project post way back in May last year with a patch so i'd have thought that this would have filtered it's way in by now.

I suspect that it may also be caused by the fact the recordings are not trimmed and as such the channel ident played at the beginning may only have one soundtrack before the additional becoming available when the programme starts. (Since WTV is a recording of the broadcast stream, not just select tracks muxed into a recording).

I forgot to add - this is on Windows 7 32-bit Eden Beta 1
dave-lew99 Wrote:I thought i would post my WTV experience here instead of starting a new thread.

First - great work on Eden, glad to see WTV is in there now.

However, it only detects and plays back the first audio track - which on some of my programmes (from BBC HD) is the audio description track.

The FFmpeg library that is bundled with Eden is old and dates back to Feb 2011. To confirm this, go to https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/Eden/l...rmat/wtv.c and click on history on the far right hand side.

dave-lew99 Wrote:This actually also occurs in VLC so I suspect it is a FFMPEG issue - hopefully someone can confirm but when I searched there was an FFMPEG project post way back in May last year with a patch so i'd have thought that this would have filtered it's way in by now.

There have been many changes to the upstream FFmpeg wtv demuxer since Feb 2011. These changes have not filtered down to xbmc yet. They are not in eden, and not even in the xbmc git repository.

The VLC symptoms suggest it is also using an old ffmpeg library.

dave-lew99 Wrote:I suspect that it may also be caused by the fact the recordings are not trimmed and as such the channel ident played at the beginning may only have one soundtrack before the additional becoming available when the programme starts. (Since WTV is a recording of the broadcast stream, not just select tracks muxed into a recording).

I forgot to add - this is on Windows 7 32-bit Eden Beta 1

You're wtv files are probably fine. FFmpeg's wtv demuxer is almost bullet proof. You can test the files yourself by playing them in a recent build of ffplay. See elsewhere in this thread for link to ffmpeg win32 binaries.
Excellent, I knew the XBMC FFmpeg was out of date - just not that out of date!

As noted above by CrystalIP an ffmpeg update is due after Eden so I will be patient and wait for that.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Support for WTV files? Microsoft Windows Media Center recording format1