Best way to map a NAS connection?
Just got myself a NAS but I'm unsure as to what is the best way of mapping my connection to it, or whether it even matters.

I have these two options -

L:\Movies

smb://NAS/Movies/

Is one better than the other or is there on difference between them?

Thanks.
with smb, xbmc is making the connection to the network device

with mounted network volume in windows (L:\ in your case), it is windows handling all the network connections

i say use which ever you prefer, but if you have any issues with SMB then just use L:\ as an easy-fix alternative
I see, so by not using SMB XBMC will have less to work to do.
essentially yes, and for mere simplicity too (ie: just setup xbmc to match all your windows drives.. thats what i do)

i also had some random issue with smb mounts (i forget what it was exactly) many builds ago, so thats when i switched to mapping network drives in windows and then just adding the drive letter to xbmc

never saw a need to go back really
Thanks for your help.
Personally I use the smb://NAS/Movies/ format so that my sources.xml file is reusable across all platforms and OS's. Also if you (like I) use any of the Windows hacks to allow multiple RDP sessions, it can cause conflicts with mapped drives but the SMB stuff will still work.
There're still issues with XBMC's smb client under Window. I already tracked a feature request for mounting smb// paths on startup via OS functions as drive letter.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
since the old xbox days i'm using smb shares to connect my xbmc to my nas... so i'm still using smb without any problems..Smile....so far Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best way to map a NAS connection?0