Bug Strange network problem
I just bought a cheap Chinese wifi repeater Comfast CF-WR300S - the reason is irrelevant, but I needed a simple repeater capable of running on a powerbank.

When I create a wifi network with it, and set up DHCP on it, the network works without problems on my android phone/tablet in apps, but in Kodi, it gives multiple errors of same root:

'<urllib3.connection.HTTPSConnection object at 0xb4000076a35d6ec0>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno 7] No address associated with hostname'

When i reconfigure that android device to manual IP and use Google's DNS 8.8.8.8, Kodi works without that errors.

Tested on Motorola G10 Plus (Android 11), Lenovo Yoga Tab 11 (Android 12) and Samusng Galaxy Tab A7 Lite (Android 13) - all same behavior.

How is it possible that other apps like Chrome, Whatsapp, Facebook, Disney, Hbo, etc, works, but Kodi have this issue with DNS?

I know, it is cheap chinese crap, but it is wery strange for me..
Small typo - it is Motorola G9 Plus, not G10.
And of course, latest Kodi Nexus 20.2 from PlayStore.
sounds like you've already found the problem but didn't take the next step

"when the dns is set to 8.8.8.8 then kodi works"

so, the next step is "what is the dns set to when you do not set it to 8.8.8.8"?

then follow up questions -

is dhcp setting an ipv6 dns address and is kodi not capable of using ipv6?
- if yes to both, can the repeater be set to statically serve 8.8.8.8 as the dhcp dns address

is dns forwarding broken on the repeater when trying to translate 6to4?

-----

note: this is only vaguely related to kodi since when the network is configured properly kodi works fine
(2023-09-12, 19:17)cachesk Wrote: When I create a wifi network with it, and set up DHCP on it, the network works without problems on my android phone/tablet in apps, but in Kodi, it gives multiple errors of same root:

'<urllib3.connection.HTTPSConnection object at 0xb4000076a35d6ec0>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno 7] No address associated with hostname'

When i reconfigure that android device to manual IP and use Google's DNS 8.8.8.8, Kodi works without that

What DNS servers are you handing back with DHCP ? Those other apps may be using IPv6. When you are on DHCP go into Kodi sysinfo->Network and see if there are any DNS servers listed.

Jeff
Running with the Mezzmo Kodi addon.  The easier way to share your media with multiple Kodi clients.
Service.autostop , CBC Sports, Kodi Selective Cleaner and Mezzmo Kodi addon author.
@jepsizofye, @jbinkley60

Default DNS is same local IP as gateway (192.168.10.1), as usual with DHCP in home routers. Which is forwarding my home network DNS, let's say 192.168.1.1 (home router), which is forwarding may ISP DNS.

No, repeater does not support IPV6, no it can't be set to statically serve 8.8.8.8.

Kodi shows DNS and gateway as 192.168.10.1 on both tablets, Motorla G9 Plus shows wrong addresses regardless of network (wifi / repeated wifi / lte) all in range 100.78.29.190-ish, so I assumed that it is irrelevant - I have checked that it is same 192.168.10.1 as GW and DNS in system with multiple wifi/network analyzer apps (which also shows IPv6 as N/A, so it is not possible that other apps is using IPv6).

To answer the expected question - there is no problem on the home wifi, only on repeated.

Yes, i am sure that DNS service in this repeater is somehow broken, but how is it possible that only Kodi is affected? It evokes that maybe Kodi (Python?) communicates with dns differently than the rest.
I may have just found out (on pc).

this works:

dig @192.168.10.1 kodi.tv

this doesn't:

dig @192.168.10.1 kodi.tv +vc
dig @192.168.10.1 kodi.tv +tcp

It is possible that Kodi (python?) on Android uses only dns over tcp? Becuse it looks like that repeater serve it's DNS only over udp..
(2023-09-12, 22:45)cachesk Wrote: I may have just found out (on pc).

this works:

dig @192.168.10.1 kodi.tv

this doesn't:

dig @192.168.10.1 kodi.tv +vc
dig @192.168.10.1 kodi.tv +tcp

It is possible that Kodi (python?) on Android uses only dns over tcp? Becuse it looks like that repeater serve it's DNS only over udp..

The DNS RFCs say that UDP is used until the response packet is large enough to require TCP.  Things like DNSSEC cause the DNS response packets to be larger and will cause a TCP based response to occur.  Also DNS responses where large numbers of A record responses and similar will do the same thing.  That's why the TCP toggle RFCs were created. 

It sounds like your ISP might have DNSSEC enabled on their DNS servers for security.  Here's a bit more on it.  You say that your Android devices work when on your normal network Wi-Fi but not on the extender ?  If so, there could be a setting on your router.  Is the extender just extending the SSID and subnet or is it acting as a different access point with a separate SSID ?

What device is doing your DHCP ?  If it is your router you can change the DHCP response to Google's DNS servers and not your ISP DNS servers.  I personally never use my ISP's DNS servers.  I either run my own or use public DNS servers.

Thanks,

Jeff
Running with the Mezzmo Kodi addon.  The easier way to share your media with multiple Kodi clients.
Service.autostop , CBC Sports, Kodi Selective Cleaner and Mezzmo Kodi addon author.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Strange network problem0