Which one would you pick and why?
Hi,

I am struggling to decide which of these boxes to buy;
1 - Vero V (currently not available, coming soon according to their website)
2 - Homatics Box R 4k plus

Both boxes seems to have very similar specs, so i was wondering if people who have owned any of these, could help me decide please?

Thanks
of the 2 options presented i would choose the homatics over the vero v because i use android for streaming content from Hulu, Disney+, Paramount+ etc.

if you are talking about vero v vs homatics with coreelec it changes the equation so it really comes down to what you use it for

-----

disclaimer: only for sake of the topic, in the real world i would not buy either one
(2023-09-21, 17:17)jepsizofye Wrote: of the 2 options presented i would choose the homatics over the vero v because i use android for streaming content from Hulu, Disney+, Paramount+ etc.

if you are talking about vero v vs homatics with coreelec it changes the equation so it really comes down to what you use it for

-----
Thank you for your reply, I was thinking about Coreelec (Dual boot) set up, so I could explorer what the box offer with OTB setup. 
Quote:disclaimer: only for sake of the topic, in the real world i would not buy either one
As a matter of interest, what would you go for?

Thanks
(2023-09-21, 16:38)foxy6800 Wrote: I am struggling to decide which of these boxes to buy;
1 - Vero V (currently not available, coming soon according to their website)
2 - Homatics Box R 4k plus

Both boxes seems to have very similar specs, so i was wondering if people who have owned any of these, could help me decide please?

I have 3 of the Vero V boxes.  I recently upgraded from Vero 4k+ devices.  The Vero Vs should be available globally now through some resellers.  You can get the latest here.    I am not an Android fan for hosting Kodi as my friend @jepsizofye is but having said that I see the value of Android and similar streaming OS devices for online streaming services.  I have Roku boxes sitting right next to my Vero V boxes. 

To me it is really a question of what else you plan to use the boxes for.  If they are for Kodi and Kodi addons (including Disney, Netflix etc...) then I would opt for a Linux based version like the Vero V.  If you want to run native Android streaming apps too, then a Linux version won't work without a dualboot option. 

Basically I pick the right tool for the right job.  The other thing to consider is stability and support.  One of my main goals with everything streaming is trying to get to zero maintenance.  My general observations (no empirical  data to back this up)  is that Kodi on Linux tends to have less issues and perhaps more stability.  I can only based that on my many years of running OSMC and LibreElec vs. what I see from some folks in the forums.

So my answer is that I would buy a Vero V.  Oh wait, I already bought 3 of them Smile

Jeff
Running with the Mezzmo Kodi addon.  The easier way to share your media with multiple Kodi clients.
Service.autostop , CBC Sports, Kodi Selective Cleaner and Mezzmo Kodi addon author.
(2023-09-21, 16:38)foxy6800 Wrote: 1 - Vero V (currently not available, coming soon according to their website)

It's available to order from our website (soft launch) as well as re-sellers.
We will do a more formal launch shortly

Vero V does have Widevine L1 and HDCP2.2 and we are looking at leveraging this in Kodi under Linux to provide hardware accelerated decode for Widevine L1 content. 

Sam
(2023-09-22, 09:40)foxy6800 Wrote: As a matter of interest, what would you go for?

my choice is quite unpopular but it works for everything i do...

i use a firetv cube gen3, which replaced a gen2, which replaced a gen1 - gen1 wasnt very powerful so it was used side by side with an HTPC w/LibreELEC
(prior to that i used a boxee box, a WDTV and just a regular PC but that goes back 20 years)

not to be confused with a "Stick" which is not as good as a cube imo

(2023-09-22, 16:26)Sam.Nazarko Wrote: Vero V does have Widevine L1 and HDCP2.2 and we are looking at leveraging this in Kodi under Linux to provide hardware accelerated decode for Widevine L1 content. 

interesting, if it is capable then this device would enter my 'considerations' list

so everyone is aware, i have never used a vero and i do not mean to assume it's capabilities or lack of - i assume its a good device until i find out otherwise
It looks like the Vero V is in stock for order in the US now.

https://www.pishop.us/product/vero-v/
Kodi Omega (arm64) nightly, nVidia Shield Pro 2019 SE 9.1.1+Hotfix (Android 11), Samsung Q8FN, Synology DS1821+ DSM 7.2.1-69057 Update 4
no dolby vision takes it back off of my considerations list

https://discourse.osmc.tv/t/osmc-vero-v-review/95494/34

nothing personal, i don't feel like buying a more expensive device with less features
(2023-09-22, 22:57)jepsizofye Wrote: no dolby vision takes it back off of my considerations list

https://discourse.osmc.tv/t/osmc-vero-v-review/95494/34

nothing personal, i don't feel like buying a more expensive device with less features

Understood. We have a plan re. Dolby Vision as I've covered on the forums that is pragmatic.
We don't want to provide support for Dolby in the way it's being bodged on Homatics devices only for it to soon be taken away and for it to not work properly.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Which one would you pick and why?0