• 6(current)
Raspberry Pi 5 Q&A Thread
(2023-12-23, 12:05)vichman Wrote: Good question! I'd like to know the answer, too.

IMHO, nightly builds are quite stable, I've been using It without problems, appart from not being able to play acestreams...

And given that is a banned addon (wiki), we are unable to offer any support for that here...
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
I understand, but my point is not about banned add-ons.
(2023-12-23, 19:51)davidvanwijk Wrote: I understand, but my point is not about banned add-ons.

I know, it wasn't you I was replying to (or quoting) Wink
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2023-12-01, 21:36)boldorider4 Wrote: @chewitt, I did it! It works! Kodi + RPiOS Lite + RPi5 + HW-decoding! Yay!!! I should talk to the Debian package maintainers and convince them to package Kodi with those patches.

What os are you using? Or is it the same on both raspberry os and libreelec?

Im thinking of buying a raspberry pi 5, and installing libreelec on it. looks like a cool tech. And i want to be prepared.

The post before this quote, was that all u did to make it work?
(2023-12-23, 20:51)Hometv07 Wrote:
(2023-12-01, 21:36)boldorider4 Wrote: RPiOS Lite

What os are you using?

according to the post you quoted, he's using "RPiOS Lite"
(2023-12-23, 21:02)izprtxqkft Wrote:
(2023-12-23, 20:51)Hometv07 Wrote:
(2023-12-01, 21:36)boldorider4 Wrote: RPiOS Lite

What os are you using?

according to the post you quoted, he's using "RPiOS Lite"

Hehe yeah, saw that right before i hit send. Theres no editbutton here and didnt want to spam with just that.

But maybe that "bug" is on all os, and have the same solution maybe?
I see Rpi5 has hardware support for OpenGLES, does this mean it can run the Kodi tonemappers like ACESFilmic and Hables for smooth playback of tonemapped 4k HDR movies?
So, I just tried Kodi from Android running on the raspberry pi 5 (the APK I installed through F-Droid) and its also able to decode 4k h.265 content fine.

So if you don't mind running android instead of librelec you can have a little more freedom on which version of Kodi you are running.

I haven't done extensive testing so I don't know yet how stable it is but I was able to browse my nfs share and play back 4 k content fine.
Question for anyone that has the device and watches anime. I know sub groups will use non standard formats such as h264 10bit. I've read in this thread that those play fine on software decode at 1080p which is great. I'm wondering however if the RP5 will play (hardware or software decoding without issues) files with these settings:

Format                                   : HEVC
Format/Info                              : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile                           : Format Range@L4@Main
Codec ID                                 : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC
Bit rate                                 : 10.8 Mb/s
Width                                    : 1 920 pixels
Height                                   : 804 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 2.39:1
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Frame rate                               : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:4:4

Posting my h264 non standard file settings aswell incase anyone would be willing to double check with their pi5

Format                                   : AVC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                           : High 10@L5
Format settings                          : CABAC / 4 Ref Frames
Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes
Format settings, Reference frames        : 4 frames
Codec ID                                 : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Duration                                 : 23 min 41 s
Bit rate                                 : 9 602 kb/s
Width                                    : 1 920 pixels
Height                                   : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate mode                          : Variable
Frame rate                               : 23.976 FPS
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 10 bits

Thanks in advance! Trying to get hardware that will play non standard anime formats at 1080p(ish), and preferably can also do 4k movies that generally use more standard formats.
LE12 has been waiting on Kodi finishing some API finalisation (seems to over/done now) and other minor fixups to settle. So once Kodi moves to RC at some point in new year LE will push an official beta out. Nightlies are stable though so unless something unforseen shows up I'd expect no more than a single beta before moving to full release.
Hi all looking for a raspberry pi for the in-laws to run kodi. Will the pi5 be a better option than 4 as it’s only £5 difference between the 4gb versions. All I need is a psu a remote with an eye or a Bluetooth dongle that works from a remote as I already have a ssd memory card for the op system. E external ssd hard drive that’s formatted to nfts for larger movie files to plug into the pi. Thanks
(2023-12-27, 12:35)meridius Wrote: Hi all looking for a raspberry pi for the in-laws to run kodi. Will the pi5 be a better option than 4 as it’s only £5 difference between the 4gb versions. All I need is a psu a remote with an eye or a Bluetooth dongle that works from a remote as I already have a ssd memory card for the op system. E external ssd hard drive that’s formatted to nfts for larger movie files to plug into the pi. Thanks

Yeah I would go with the 5 for the faster sd card and usb read speeds. If it's really only a 5$ difference. Where I'm at you can get a 2 gb raspberry pi 4 for 44$ and tbh I think thats a better value for kodi for most people. Unless you watch a lot of anime then a 5 would be better.
So a 2gb would be ok thought it had to be 4gb why would you need pi5 for anime? And why would it not work on 4 just out of interest.
(2023-12-27, 18:53)meridius Wrote: So a 2gb would be ok thought it had to be 4gb why would you need pi5 for anime? And why would it not work on 4 just out of interest.

he's talking about content types, pi4 lacks h265 (hevc) and pi5 lacks h264(avc) so you need to pick the one that meets your content best
(hardware decoding* only lacking, software support for each exist on each)
So the pi 5 does not play h264(avc) thats odd as nearly all 1080p content is in that format. I am surprised they don’t play that file format
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Raspberry Pi 5 Q&A Thread0