• 8(current)
Raspberry Pi 5 Q&A Thread
(2024-01-20, 03:07)evlo Wrote: Is there any case for for Pi5 with m.2 hat yet (Ideally Polish made one https://pineberrypi.com/ :) )? I can't find anything to buy ( only "comming soon" https://thepihut.com/products/argon-neo-...berry-pi-5 ).
Geekworm have got an NVMe HAT that works with the stock case and heatsink.
Wow that does look nice. Just ordered one.

youtube 4k note, when i play youtube 4k video on desktop on 7840h running on battery, it does play normally to my eyes, but there are hundreds of dropped frames in stats for geeks - cpu utilization is minimal - so I dunno if dropped frames they write about in rapsberrypi.org are those or if that is something noticeable by humans
LibreELEC support for Raspberry Pi 5 - LibreELEC

Quote:4K30 VP9 is generally fine while more demanding 4K60 VP9 content is not possible; it will play but frames are being dropped.

So on my laptop windows desktop I do get thousands of dropped fames and it still plays OK for my eyes, rPi dropped frames are different thing?

(2024-01-23, 00:17)evlo Wrote: LibreELEC support for Raspberry Pi 5 - LibreELEC
Quote:4K30 VP9 is generally fine while more demanding 4K60 VP9 content is not possible; it will play but frames are being dropped.

So on my laptop windows desktop I do get thousands of dropped fames and it still plays OK for my eyes, rPi dropped frames are different thing?

This is 731 frames out of 3324 in a 60fps video. so 22 percent loss of frames. This should be fairly noticeable due to inconsistencies in the framerate but if spread evenly it might feel somewhat watchable as it is still greater than 30 fps which is what we are used to at the movies.

Still I wouldn't want to be watching all my videos at 22 percent skipping. Especially if some background task started up and it fropped to 60% frame loss.
See, but this is how many dropped frames I got on windows, without noticing any issue and without not a single cpu core going to 100% (kinda bothering]

this is without any power limits, and mainly in Fullscreen, but still frames do drop, and that is 60fps 2160p at 60hz 2160p display

I do not know then if dropped frames is valid measurement for playback. 3600 but i guess at least the total count is correct being 3600 frames per minute
(2024-01-27, 19:00)evlo Wrote: See, but this is how many dropped frames I got on windows, without noticing any issue and without not a single cpu core going to 100% (kinda bothering]

comparing a desktop pc with windows to a raspberry pi is kind of like a golden retriever compared to a chihuahua, sure the chihuahua is cute and fits in your purse but it's not going to drag you out of a burning building
(*the raspberry pi is the chihuahua in this scenario)

raspberry pi does not have a hardware decoder for VP9 and software decoding *anything* is always going to be worse than hardware
(2024-01-27, 19:17)izprtxqkft Wrote: raspberry pi does not have a hardware decoder for VP9 and software decoding *anything* is always going to be worse than hardware

Why is software decoding *anything* worse than hardware? The only reason to prefer hardware over software decoding is if your CPU doesn't have the processing power, or your platform needs a more power-efficient decoding solution (for cooling or battery life reasons?)
(2024-01-28, 15:12)noggin Wrote: Why is software decoding *anything* worse than hardware?

more cores that are running in parallel are going to perform better than less running in serial
especially in terms of video where it's processing X frames per second
(2024-01-28, 19:20)izprtxqkft Wrote:
(2024-01-28, 15:12)noggin Wrote: Why is software decoding *anything* worse than hardware?

more cores that are running in parallel are going to perform better than less running in serial
especially in terms of video where it's processing X frames per second

Yes - but why is this an issue for a video player?  If you have enough CPU power to implement software decoding without the platform breaking a huge sweat - what does it matter whether it's using 5% or 50% of the CPU in so doing?

You won't get better quality replay because it takes fewer CPU cycles per frame to decode each frame or GOP?

Sure - if your CPU is being asked to do other stuff at the same time it's an issue - but if you're just using the platform for video replay I don't get the issue?

It's for the same reason that hardware support on PC video cards and integrated Intel graphics have retired older codecs that no longer make sense to hardware decode - like MPEG2?
(2024-01-31, 11:33)noggin Wrote: It's for the same reason that hardware support on PC video cards and integrated Intel graphics have retired older codecs that no longer make sense to hardware decode - like MPEG2?

And yet MPEG2 is still the primary codec in use for OTA broadcast TV in the US.  With the new ATSC standards that is changing but the AC4 audio codec is slowly adoption.

Jeff
Running with the Mezzmo Kodi addon.  The easier way to share your media with multiple Kodi clients.
Service.autostop , CBC Sports, Kodi Selective Cleaner and Mezzmo Kodi addon author.
(2024-01-31, 11:33)noggin Wrote: Yes - but why is this an issue for a video player?  If you have enough CPU power to implement software decoding without the platform breaking a huge sweat - what does it matter whether it's using 5% or 50% of the CPU in so doing?

statement was hardware decoding is Better*
it's not an issue to use CPU decoder, *IF* you do in fact have enough CPU power, in the case above it would seem raspberry pi DOES NOT have this though if it's going to be dropping 20% of the video

the idea here is that when not using hardware acceleration, expect high cpu usage, if the cpu cannot do the job then expect playback to be bad, there is little point to reporting an issue with cpu decoding on a low power system as it should be a given
as in "well, yea, seems accurate to me. what did you expect?"
I built a new Raspberry Pi 5 yesterday and have posted some comments in the best media player thread.  My results so far have been surprisingly good, including the MPEG2 OTA concern I raised.

Jeff
Running with the Mezzmo Kodi addon.  The easier way to share your media with multiple Kodi clients.
Service.autostop , CBC Sports, Kodi Selective Cleaner and Mezzmo Kodi addon author.
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Raspberry Pi 5 Q&A Thread0