Another (but different) live broadcast HW question.. H264 1080i deinterlacing HW
I've searched and scanned all the relevant threads here, LibreElec, OSMC, and CoreElec sites without finding a clear winner:

I need to replace my Haswell based NUC with a new device. HOWEVER, 80% of my media consumption is H.264 1080i25 live TV and recordings.
For now, I have been enjoying the VAAPI HW MCDI motion compensated deinterlacing, so the PQ has been really good on that most important content.

I've shortlisted some choices, but please correct me with better information and details considering the deinterlacing quality in mind.

* RPi5 (PQ and deinterlacing not known yet?)
* Shield TV (I have read the deinterlacing works , but no words about the quality compared to MCDI)
* Vero V (Vero 4k had some kind of deinterlacing, but quality unknown to me)
* Odroid N2+ (confusing information about the deinterlacing of H.264 1080i25 (50p or 25p?)). Green artefacts? Stuttering?
* NUCgen11 and + (have all models dropped HW MCDI??). FAN
* NUCgen10 . FAN.

The rest of the media consumption (20%) for the upcoming 2 years will be Youtube, local broadcasters (addons), and own library bluray rips. Therefore, HW HEVC is a must. AV1 would be nice but not necessary. My TV is FHD SDR, so 4K is not needed, and for HDR only tone mapping to SDR is interesting.

I would prefer to go no-NUC route, since the fan noise and total price with NUC is high. I'm searching a lower cost platform with high quality DI for 1080i content. But in the end, if I need to go for a NUC, please point me out for the one that can still handle 1080i with high quality deinterlacing.

ANDY777
Check this out https://www.electromaker.io/blog/article...0can%20buy.
Any modern Intel (except Jasper Lake/Elkhart Lake) can do MCDI.
AMD can do MADI which is basically the same as MCDI.
Any Amlogic device that can run CoreELEC NG or NE image can do advanced high quality hw deinterlacing (to me it looks the same as MCDI)

That's pretty much all your options for high quality hw deinterlacing.
MADI = Motion Adaptive Deinterlacing
MCDI = Motion Compensative Deinterlacing

They're definitely not 'basically the same'

MADI is where you effectively dynamically switch from Bob to Weave based on the motion content in the signal (either on a full-field/frame or block basis - blocks don't have to be related to codec macroblocks) This is the 'adaption' 
MCDI is where you create motion vectors for each pixel or block in every field and use those vectors to in-between create missing information. This is 'compensation' (it compensates for the motion by working out the direction of motion and using it to move content from real fields to create the missing fields)

MADI will deliver lower resolution on motion than MCDI.  Older Intel chipsets only did MADI - and then MCDI was added to improve things, and clearly does.
(2023-10-22, 13:07)noggin Wrote: They're definitely not 'basically the same'

The difference between BOB and MCDI/MADI is quite obvious to the naked eye. However, I see no difference when I switch between MCDI and MADI. They both look the same to me, so I don't consider using MADI over MCDI a big loss. So yes, they are basically the same quality-wise.
(2023-10-22, 18:14)smp1 Wrote:
(2023-10-22, 13:07)noggin Wrote: They're definitely not 'basically the same'

The difference between BOB and MCDI/MADI is quite obvious to the naked eye. However, I see no difference when I switch between MCDI and MADI. They both look the same to me, so I don't consider using MADI over MCDI a big loss. So yes, they are basically the same quality-wise.

I disagree. I can see the difference on native interlaced content (or stuff shot at 50fps progressive and then interlaced).  There's obviously no difference on film and native 25fps progressive content as both will be effectively weaved as their is no Intra-Frame motion, only Inter-Frame.  It's really clear on stuff like news channel tickers, high-resolution logos on captions etc. where the MADI sits there showing logos etc. at 540p whereas MCDI gets closer to 1080p resolution from a 1080i source.

I remember that MADI vs MCDI was a quality differentiator on lower end GPUs in days gone by for Intel CPUs with on-board GPUs - the lower end GPUs only did MADI, with MCDI only becoming available on the higher quality GPUs. ISTR that the popular Asus and HP Chromeboxes did both - which was a welcome improvement over MADI-only deinterlacing.
Going back to the original l question. If fan noise is of concern then another option is to purchase a fan-less chassis for your intel Nuc. Personally I have an 8th Gen Nuc and opted for the Akasa Turing fanless case, as fan noise would drive me crazy. I now have a nice completely silent Nuc and even under the heaviest load I've never seen the cpu go above 48-49°C. I recommend reading reviews beforehand as there were different variations made by Akasa and for my use-case the reviews pointed me towards the Turing model.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Another (but different) live broadcast HW question.. H264 1080i deinterlacing HW0