XBMC Based Home Theatre Project Advice
Hi guys, long time user of XBMC on the xbox here. Thinking it might be time to start moving away from xbox and maybe upping the functionality of my existing media network.

This is what i have currently...

1 x Freenas server running just under a terrabyte of HD space. This has all my movies, music and pictures stored as well as backups of other files i need.

3 x XBMC based Xboxes. These are networked around the house. These are all connected to standard (CRT) widescreen tv's.

3 x Computers (2 Mac, 1 PC) that all connect to the network too and can contribute to the media server etc.

There are some limits to my setup though. For example, if i want to download media from the internet, i have to use a computer rather than the server which means leaving more than one machine switched on. Plus i cannot watch or record television.

So ive been thinking long and hard and i believe the way forward is to built and setup the following... I just wondered if any of you guys had done anything similar.

ok, instead of the existing freenas server, Im thinking i should convert it to a HTPC running linux (not sure which is best version for this task).

HTPC running linux, mythtv and with XBMC front end. Im sure ive read that XBMC can run as a front end for mythtv. This would be connected to my CRT tv for now but can be connected to HDTV in the future.

the 3 xboxes connecting as clients to the mythtv backend also, giving a total of 4 dedicated xbmc clients. But also the 3 computers running their own XBMC clients. These are by no means used at the same time so load isnt an issue.

I know a bit of this stuff is not really xbox related but if anyone has built such a system and can point out possible downfalls, i would be grateful if they could point me in the right direction.

Cheers

[email protected]

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Based Home Theatre Project Advice0