Req Help find the right streamer
Hello.
I’ve been using the nvidia shield pro 2019 with my lg cs oled. I decided to buy the S90C Samsung and came to find out that my TV will no longer support Dolby vision. My shield has Netflix 4k subscription, YouTube with no ads app, and my hard drive is connected to it with movies I downloaded(never actually looked at the format of movies I download, because I knew my tv supports them all, so I have a mix of formats in my hard drive ranging from full hd to 4k in hdr10+, Dolby vision, dv etc, depending on the release)
I use VLV to play my movies from my shield.
I have Samsung Q950A soundbar connected to the TV.
My question is, now that I’m getting the Samsung tv, for optimal movie watching experience, should I stay with my nvidia shield pro, or get another streamer that will allow me to experience the tv to its fullest?
I watch content from YouTube, Netflix 4k subscription and full hd-4k movies I download on my hard drive.
I’m confused from all the information out there. Thanks for helping me figure it’s out. Thanks.
If your TV no longer supports Dolby Vision then for HDR you will have to watch content in either HDR10 or HDR10+.  The Shield TV supports HDR10 for sure - I don't know if it also supports HDR10+ and whether all the streamers provide HDR10+ encodes on top of the SDR, HDR10 and Dolby Vision encodes most of them stream.

In theory Dolby Vision is the highest quality HDR signalling/processing system - whether it makes a huge difference over HDR10 and HDR10+ for most viewers is a different question.
(2023-11-21, 01:06)noggin Wrote: In theory Dolby Vision is the highest quality HDR signalling/processing system - whether it makes a huge difference over HDR10 and HDR10+ for most viewers is a different question.

I, myself cannot spot any difference between HDR10+ & Dolby Vision, and rely on views from more knowledgeable sources Smile 

From (trusted) https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/hdr10-vs-dolby-vision is the following conclusion: 

"Between Dolby Vision and HDR10+, there's no clear winner from a technical standpoint because they both use dynamic metadata to help improve the overall quality. HDR10+ almost matches the capabilities of Dolby Vision but is lacking in content, and not as many TVs support HDR10+ as Dolby Vision. HDR10 has the distinct advantage of having more content available and being supported by every 4k TV."
(2023-11-20, 02:07)josef19 Wrote: I decided to buy the S90C Samsung and came to find out that my TV will no longer support Dolby vision. 

My question is, now that I’m getting the Samsung tv, for optimal movie watching experience, should I stay with my nvidia shield pro, or get another streamer that will allow me to experience the tv to its fullest?

Look for materials that contain HDR10+, since that is best for your current TV, and don't worry about DV. There is really no quality difference between these two formats.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help find the right streamer0