THE FIRESTICK 4K MAX V2 DOES TONEMAPPING from HDR to SDR
Hi Everyone,

I wanted to bring this here since I have not seen mentioned mostly anywhere.

I recently bought the new 4K max stick form amazon, the one with 16GB of storage.

I have the previous 4K stick but I wanted the new one just because it was faster and had more storage, and since it was discounted for black friday I though is a win win.

I received and started setting it up installing kodi and all of that one an old monitor before putting where it was suppose to go.

However when I installed Kodi and played a 4K movie I noticed the colors were correct and not washed out Initially I was confused, was this old monitor doing the tonemapping? so I connected to my Bedroom TV which is an old 1080p TV were I can't watch my ripped 4K movies because of the washed out colors, and nope, the colors were correct once again, tested many movies used Jellyfin and everything was right.

At the end I decided to leave the new 4K Max Stick on the 1080p TV so now I can watch any 4K HDR movie without any problem.

Only thing is to select ALWAYS HDR otherwise the image is dark while playing 4K HDR movies from KODI.

I am honestly very happy that I can now watch 4K HDR content on my old TV since is still very good and I didn't want to change it for a 4K just because of the HDR.

Hope this information helps someone, cheers.
not a bad tip for HDR->SDR but one must be aware that this always seems to wash out SDR content (BT.709) at least on my display

i find the Auto setting to be functional across the board but i also do have an HDR10+ display so i am not sure how that factors

FireTV Cube Gen3
I can tell you It does not look washed out at all, it looks really stunning I tested many movies and I was really surprised at how well it looks
on my display it looks like i cranked the brightness up +30-40 and the contrast isn't as rich

it's all opinion, if it looks good for who's watching it then that's all that matters
(2023-11-20, 21:51)AlbertX Wrote: I can tell you It does not look washed out at all, it looks really stunning I tested many movies and I was really surprised at how well it looks
I believe izprtxqkft was talking about SDR content not HDR.
(2023-11-21, 00:49)Hitcher Wrote: was talking about SDR

indeed, SDR (BT.709) looks washed when "Always HDR" is enabled

i tried to take a picture of both so i could side by side them but it doesn't present as well in a picture of my screen vs the actual screen

nothing to do with BT.2020 or DV
Oh understood.

That is weird once again I don't have that problem, but will probably have to test more SDR content, however even so you can disable always HDR when watching SDR content, I think the fact that you can now have good HDR to SDR is great
like i said, whatever looks good for you, that's what settings are all about - to allow different configuration in different scenarios
I was not answering or talking to you, you seem a salty and grumpy person.
(2023-11-21, 19:39)AlbertX Wrote: I was not answering or talking to you, you seem a salty and grumpy person.

meh, im direct

im not the hugging holding hands kind of person that joins drum circles

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
THE FIRESTICK 4K MAX V2 DOES TONEMAPPING from HDR to SDR0