Kodi Crashing with NFS error
Problem: Kodi crashes with NFS error first time after starting and clicking Play.  Always seems to work though when restarting and clicking Play a second time.  This has been a fairly new thing and I believe it started after switching to Omega when beta 1 came out (though not 100% sure on that's when it started).

Error: CNFSFile::Open: Unable to open file - trying again with a new context: error: 'open call failed with "NFS4: (path /volume1/MyEmbyMedia/Movies/Oppenheimer (2023)) failed with NFS4ERR_DELAY(-5)"'

Setup:
Current nightly Omega: kodi-20231120-788eae26-master-arm64-v8a.apk (though it's been happening for a while now)
Nvidia Shield 2019
NAS is a Synology DS1821+ DSM 7.2
I'm also using latest Emby4Kodi plugin.
Connection is wired.  NAS, Shield, soundbar, and TV all plugged into the same Netgear switch.  Chain for media is as follows:  NAS -> switch -> Shield -> Soundbar -> TV

Error Log with crash (movie is Oppenheimer):
https://paste.kodi.tv/cedizefuna.kodi

Log from restart where movie plays fine:
https://paste.kodi.tv/otafimewez.kodi

Steps:
  • Install latest build
  • Start Kodi
  • Scroll up to movie widget
  • Click Play button on remote
  • Kodi crashes to Shield Home
Other info
- Kodi is set to use NFS4 and I've tried both NFSv4 and 4.1 on my Synology with same result.  Also, tried changing the Kodi chunk size from default 128 to 256 and I can still get it to crash first time. 
- I've tried all types of movies and tv shows and it still crashes first time
- Odd thing is I can restart Kodi immediately after crashing and whatever the media is it plays fine the second time.
Kodi Omega (arm64) nightly, nVidia Shield Pro 2019 SE 9.1.1+Hotfix (Android 11), Samsung Q8FN, Synology DS1821+ DSM 7.2.1-69057 Update 4
compare with NFS3
it shouldn't crash if NFS isn't available for some reason. try to reproduce without emby please
Thanks all, I'll give these a shot.  Going to take me awhile to test because like I mentioned it doesn't crash after I retry.  Just on first try.

At first, I thought it was the first time whenever I loaded a new Kodi nightly, but it's possible if EMby related that it's when new material is being added from Emby to the Kodi db which could also explain maybe why it works the second time.

Anyhow, thanks for the ideas.  Got some more testing to do.
Kodi Omega (arm64) nightly, nVidia Shield Pro 2019 SE 9.1.1+Hotfix (Android 11), Samsung Q8FN, Synology DS1821+ DSM 7.2.1-69057 Update 4
Hi,

Using Synology DSM 7.2 with latest Kodi 21 builds I get the same behaviour with NFS 4.

Switching to NFS 3 solves and it noticeably quicker.

What do you need specifically to troubleshoot?
(2024-02-09, 11:59)bartmans Wrote: What do you need specifically to troubleshoot?

start with a full unredacted Debug Log but be aware Kodi logs do not show server side errors
server side errors would be a result of the "Server" side software which should be diagnosed on their correct platform

The instructions are here... Debug Log

If you are using the Basic Method, then ensure the following is applied...
1.Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging,
2.Restart Kodi
3.Replicate the problem.
4.Upload the log to Kodi Paste Site manually or use the Kodi Logfile Uploader. (wiki) With either method post the link to the log back here.

If you are using the Advanced Method ensure you have correctly created and applied the advancedsettings.xml file (wiki)

In both instances, you should see the word DEBUG throughout the log.

Note: Full logs only. No partial or redacted logs
Do NOT post your logs directly into the forum. Use the Kodi Paste Site. Post the link to your pasted log in the forum
Debug log with NFS 4 on:
https://paste.kodi.tv/xehujohehu.kodi
Just checked, behaviour (onetime error when first opening mounted NFS share with NFS 4) is still in the latest RC.
(2024-02-15, 14:56)bartmans Wrote: Debug log with NFS 4 on:

this log is for a windows installation, this thread is concerning android and it's not clear what you are reporting
I am seeing the issue: NFS 4 first time use gives an error on *all* my Kodi devices: RPI4 with LibreElec, Android TV 11 and Windows.

Clicking on a mounted share results in 'Network could not be connected'. A second try works.

I tried setting the NFS block sizes on both Kodi devices and my Synology NAS to 32kb. That seems to work on Kodi 21.

If this is the wrong place I apologize. I answered to the OP that I had the same problem. Its much easier to share the log from a Windows device than Android TV.
Thanks.  Just to follow up on the issue for me.
Removing the Emby plugin as wsnipex suggested seemed to work in the little testing I did.  Then I switched my Skin to Estuary and reloaded Emby and things also worked.  Did some more searching and I just ended up using the nVidia Shield share after mounting my NAS per another post I found.  It's working very well, except the picture screen saver addon I'm using which seems to only like the photo link in smb/nfs format.  Other than the ss though I'm using my Shield mounted share instead of Kodi nfs/smb without an issue.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Crashing with NFS error0