iTunes plugin in XBMC for Windows?
Question 
I've been googling and I've not found an answer to this question yet. I'm trying to move my itunes library into XBMC and it's not working up till now...

What i've found from the Mac forums is the DAAP method but it's not working for me either...
XBMC doesn't support the new iTunes DAAP (which isn't actually DAAP). There are itunes plugins, to allow you to view your itunes db in XBMC, but for the time being they are only for OSX. Your best bet is to just scan your music into our DB, if it's going to take awhile, do it overnight.
The itunes plugin (available on xbmc-addons googlecode svn) will work on windows, but you'll need to manually alter the path to the itunes xml file.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

jmarshall Wrote:The itunes plugin (available on xbmc-addons googlecode svn) will work on windows, but you'll need to manually alter the path to the itunes xml file.

Hi!

Thanks for the super-duper good news lol. However, I'm not really sure what you mean by "Available on xbmc-addons googlecode svn". I've searched through XBMC scripts and couldn't find iTunes plugin so... Blush Would you mind giving more pointers please?
Use google to search for "xbmc-addons svn" yeilds:

xbmc-addons.googlecode.com

Cheers,
Jonathan
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

Wow you guys are definitely efficient =)

I got the file, unzipped and copied it into the appropriate folder but I'm unsure how I'm supposed to "point it" to my iTunes xml. I've opened a few of the files in notepad but they turned out in gibberish.

Is it supposed to be done in XBMC? I can't figure it out there either... Huh
Look for this line in default.py:
Code:
filename = os.getenv("HOME")+"/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music Library.xml"
and change it to
Code:
filename = 'C:\\blah blah\\blah blah\\iTunes Music Library.xml'
Note the single quotes and double backslashes. Also make sure that the variable 'filename' starts exactly above the keyword 'return' below it (like it does now). In other words, make sure that you don't change the number of leading spaces in front of 'filename'.
Please read and follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, please make sure you read this first.

I have a question, I have a buncha Music Videos I've downloaded off iTunes, is there any hope I can get these to play in XBMC? I don't have any iTunes music content, I installed this plugin and it seems to only import the music library. I'm guessing I'm out of luck when it comes to video content, but I thought I'd ask before I just gave up.
Guys, thanks for the wonderful assistance =)

Sadly the plugin doesn't show at all in XBMC. Gahhh. To quote Peter Griffin's iPod commercial, "I Just Don't Get It" lol.

My plugin is saved here "C:\Program Files\XBMC\plugins\music" is it correct?
You need to "Add Source" and then choose the plugin.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot

quebert Wrote:I have a question, I have a buncha Music Videos I've downloaded off iTunes, is there any hope I can get these to play in XBMC? I don't have any iTunes music content, I installed this plugin and it seems to only import the music library. I'm guessing I'm out of luck when it comes to video content, but I thought I'd ask before I just gave up.

Currently there isn't much hope if your music videos contain DRM. You should be able to see them under "iTunes->Playlists->Music Videos" after you have imported your iTunes library in XBMC. However whether or not they will play depends on whether they have DRM. You can always strip the files of DRM using some of the tools available online.

d4rk Wrote:
quebert Wrote:I have a question, I have a buncha Music Videos I've downloaded off iTunes, is there any hope I can get these to play in XBMC? I don't have any iTunes music content, I installed this plugin and it seems to only import the music library. I'm guessing I'm out of luck when it comes to video content, but I thought I'd ask before I just gave up.

Currently there isn't much hope if your music videos contain DRM. You should be able to see them under "iTunes->Playlists->Music Videos" after you have imported your iTunes library in XBMC. However whether or not they will play depends on whether they have DRM. You can always strip the files of DRM using some of the tools available online.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FairPlay#Ci...g_FairPlay

Also checkout doubleTwist software (which is not listed in that wikipedia article):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DoubleTwist
http://www.doubletwist.com
Quote:DoubleTwist is offering two software products: one that would let other companies sell FairPlay-protected songs that play on the iPod, and another that would let competing hardware devices play FairPlay content.
I've tried to use the iTunes plugin with the Windows port of XBMC as described in this thread, I think that it installed properly in the plugins directory of the XBMC install & I pointed it to the iTunes library XML file correctly in default.py, but it doesn't start as it should in the Music Plugins menu. Instead it terminates instantly & I get this error message in the scripts debug log;

Code:
-->Python Interpreter Initialized<--
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\plugins\music\iTunes\default.py", line 32, in ? from itunes_parser import *
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\plugins\music\iTunes\itunes_parser.py", line 19, in ? from sqlite3 import dbapi2 as sqlite
ImportError: No module named sqlite3

It seems I'm missing a module or library, causing the plugin to crash out?
Fixed my own problem, the platform path in default.py just has to be changed to point to win32 to pick up the right libraries also, like so;

From
Code:
platform = "OS X"

To
Code:
platform = "win32"
Thanks for catching that bug, I'll update the plugins so they do proper auto detection of the platform.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
iTunes plugin in XBMC for Windows?1