Extended OSD subtitles option
Hello everyone,

some of the subtitles options would really be useful to be included in the OSD subtitles menu during playback, which are subtitle background on/off, opacity of that background, and subtitle size. It is really annoying to have to exit back to the main menu, then to the settings, then to find the setting in question in the submenus, then return to the movie, and possibly to have to redo all that again because the change still is not satisfying.
Especially if the subtitles turn out to be mostly unreadable (e.g. snowy scenery and white subtitles) a quick on/off of the background would really be helpful.

Cheers,
vonson
It's not what you asked for, but are you aware of the tab key during playback? Which allows you to go to settings, change them, and tab back to fullscreen playback?
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
@CrystalP Unfortunately this won't work on an Android TV device with just a simple remote.

Do you by any chance know which Kodi command would do the same? So we could bind it to a key using the key mapping options.
Tab is defined like this in keyboard.xml

<tab>FullScreen</tab>

Other actions trigger that switch as well but I don't remember which off the top of my head.
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
I found something workable. I created a file called keymap.xml and placed it in the userdata\keymaps folder.

I added this code to the file:

Code:
<keymap>
  <FullScreenVideo>
    <keyboard>
        <backspace mod="longpress">ActivateWindow(playersettings)</backspace>
        <browser_back mod="longpress">ActivateWindow(playersettings)</browser_back>
    </keyboard>
  </FullScreenVideo>
</keymap>

Now when I longpress the Back button on my Nvidia Shield's remote while playing a video, the Player Settings window appears and I can easily go to the Subtitles section and change stuff. Exiting the Player Settings window immediately returns to the video playing.
Hey,

as stated above, the tab key (which I did not know about...) is not an option when using a simple remote.
Longpressinng the Back button to enter the player settings seems not to work on my fire tv, at least not by default. Might be adjustable by key mapping, but still would be too confusing for my wife to use...

I'm kind of baffled that these options are not included in the osd playback menu, since they are really useful, and there is lots of space in that menu...

btw - can anybod explain to me the ordering Kodi uses on the subtitles? Chosen language, yes, but when several subtitles of a language are availabe Kodi seems to select a random one, and when manually choosing they are displayed completely out of order...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Extended OSD subtitles option0