• 21(current)
State of Kodi Media Players: Best Options in 2024
(Today, 00:22)HomerJau Wrote: I bought one last year but it’s performance when navigating a large media library (movies and music) is horrendous. Even scanning my files is snail slow. Users can’t run off the eMMC storage, only a USB thumb drive.
Can you not use a USB 3.0 connected SSD rather than a poorer-performing thumb drive?

I didn't think it limited USB boot to just thumb drives?
(Today, 00:22)HomerJau Wrote:
(Yesterday, 14:08)Roby77 Wrote: Homatics released a new beta firmware (5394) for 4k plus  that solve the problem with local file playback

So for me now this box is the best option (imho) for my use

I bought one last year but it’s performance when navigating a large media library (movies and music) is horrendous. Even scanning my files is snail slow. Users can’t run off the eMMC storage, only a USB thumb drive.

I updated to latest firmware recently. It’s unusable on my network (two Synology NASs with NFS, I have multiple Kodi boxes. No problems with others).

Problably my library isn't so big ...my largest kodi library is a film folder (on my nas) with about 1200 film (so 1200 thumbs etc etc), i have others folder but are smaller (music etc)
I don't have any problem for my use, but i agree with you that library scan is really low also if i compare it vs my nuc with libreelec
(i launch library scan only when i add a new folder or when i force to update it)

But we are talking about s905x4 that is a really old chipset with no horsepower (used in 32bit), i wait for s928x box with netflix certification

at the same time I'm happy because I have a box that allows me to enjoy stream and local content without any particular problem

With firestick : i had AFR issue (tried all gen included fire cube gen 3 e 4k max gen 2)
With libreelec : no widevine L1

So the homatics box is the only one that allows me to have both without problems

I don't know other box beyond nvidia shield capable of them
(Yesterday, 03:00)hdmkv Wrote: 10. As good, and possibly better with this Dolby VS10 development

Since the original question dealt with SDR 1080p material, I suppose it was mainly targeted at upscaling quality. Converting SDR stuff to Dolby Vision seems questionable to me, unless one cares zero about artistic intent.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
Agree. I've used VS10 with my Dune HD, and previously with Zidoo Z9X, and liked the "enhancement" with some movies, and didn't with others. Colors seemed over-saturated, and had warmer/yellowish palette. Generally, other than DVD/Blu-ray upscaling, I watch stuff in the format they are.

(Yesterday, 21:26)meridius Wrote: what about  the  VC-1 codec blu rays what happens if there is a problem like the shining, and is there a way to fix it as i have many olde Blu rays like...
2 is there any problems with using a usb dongle and Logitech keyboard with tis unit
3. using any remote like a Logitech
4. can you leave this box running all the time or is it best to power it up from cold and can you boot Straight into Kodi
5. someone said to go for the minix u22-xj unit box is this a better unit than the am6b+
I only have the UHD version of 'The Shining', but no issues with VC-1 playback under CE. Here are two examples of a handful I tried:
Code:
Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : VC-1
Format profile                           : Advanced@L3
Codec ID                                 : V_MS/VFW/FOURCC / WVC1
Codec ID/Hint                            : Microsoft
Duration                                 : 1 min 0 s
Bit rate                                 : 14.0 Mb/s
Width                                    : 1 920 pixels
Height                                   : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Frame rate                               : 29.970 (30000/1001) FPS
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Interlaced
Scan order                               : Top Field First
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.226
Stream size                              : 101 MiB (72%)
Default                                  : Yes
Forced                                   : No

Code:
Video
ID                                       : 2
Format                                   : VC-1
Format profile                           : Advanced@L3
Codec ID                                 : V_MS/VFW/FOURCC / WVC1
Codec ID/Hint                            : Microsoft
Duration                                 : 1 h 51 min
Width                                    : 1 920 pixels
Height                                   : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Frame rate                               : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Progressive
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Default                                  : Yes
Forced                                   : No

No problems with USB devices.
I'm using a Logitech K400 Plus keyboard w/it. My box stays on all the time; goes to sleep w/default CE/Kodi settings.
Minix U22-XJ or XJ Max may be better, but can't be found to buy. If they pop-up occasionally on eBay, they're ridiculously overpriced.

(Today, 08:24)meridius Wrote: So you all bought from the Play TV seller at aliexpress ? , I noticed they have two versions...
I can not see anything about the  flirc be used at all with this device ? and can  any usb keyboards as i have a Logitech Bluetooth dongle that a Logitech keyboard connects to
If it's an AMB6+ (the 'plus' is important), you should be fine with one from any AliExpress seller. Each seller promotes the box a little differently. Here are the two sellers I used: first, then for second.

On using Flirc, don't see why it wouldn't work.

(11 hours ago)meridius Wrote: also a question we have all been waiting for a all in one box and why are these minix u22xj and am6+ that are 3 year old boxes now suddenly support and run everything  just out on interest
Discovery of dovi.ko secret sauce Smile. I doubt we'll see new boxes able to do full DV like this. Happy accident from what I've read, and certainly not Dolby's intent we have this ability.
(4 hours ago)ashlar Wrote:
(Yesterday, 03:00)hdmkv Wrote: 10. As good, and possibly better with this Dolby VS10 development

Since the original question dealt with SDR 1080p material, I suppose it was mainly targeted at upscaling quality. Converting SDR stuff to Dolby Vision seems questionable to me, unless one cares zero about artistic intent.
no i would not use something that is nt true to the source, i like to keep all my videos as close as to the source as possible, what i meant was how good are these at playing SDR to upscale or is it best to let the tv sort that out. if Dolby VS10 takes sdr and makes Dolby vision out of it thats not what i would use.
(4 hours ago)hdmkv Wrote:
(11 hours ago)meridius Wrote: also a question we have all been waiting for a all in one box and why are these minix u22xj and am6+ that are 3 year old boxes now suddenly support and run everything  just out on interest
Discovery of dovi.ko secret sauce Smile. I doubt we'll see new boxes able to do full DV like this. Happy accident from what I've read, and certainly not Dolby's intent we have this ability.

I might have to stock up then and buy a few, lol   

I have found a seller selling Minix U22-XJ in the uk but waiting on the price as they dont show this info, but if its to expensive it will be the  AMBb Plus

I noticed that on coreelec they say the AM6 Plus but all i can see are the AM6B Plus I am not sure what the difference are with the extra B in the model name and if this box is ok as only one seller with the UGOOS AM6Plus and its £250
are the UGOOS AM6B Plus model still ok to use Huh
It's the AM6B Plus. Ugoos' site is confusing... they don't have any AM6+ listed here under products, but if you search "AM6+", a page for it does pop up. Specs are identical.
Been told the Minix NEO U22-XJ MAX will also work as this have bt5 and WiFi 6 over the Minix U22-X but not sure if there is any differences apart from that. Same chipset I think
  • 21(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
State of Kodi Media Players: Best Options in 20240