• 6(current)
State of Kodi Media Players: Best Options in 2024
(2024-02-05, 22:22)Roby77 Wrote:
(2024-02-05, 00:36)clarkss12 Wrote:
(2024-02-04, 21:42)Roby77 Wrote: Dune HD Pro One 8K Plus is very interesting for the moment but in addition to being expensive (perhaps a version without HD slot will be released) it is not yet clear whether it will be Google and Netflix certified

Let's hope

They have already said it will NOT be Google or Netflix certified, because Dune HD would loose flexibility in their software.

That is really a bad news

So I wil go for homatics
I have been searching for the Holy Grail of media players, and I haven't found one yet.  I have the Dune version of the Homatics box and it is OK..
Ordered a Homatics to play with. With ATV12 & DTS MA/X supposedly working on Android side, should be one of the most complete players features wise.

On a streaming performance improvement note, found this thread really helpful on using HTTP over SMB/NFS.
(2024-02-05, 23:37)clarkss12 Wrote:
(2024-02-05, 22:22)Roby77 Wrote:
(2024-02-05, 00:36)clarkss12 Wrote: They have already said it will NOT be Google or Netflix certified, because Dune HD would loose flexibility in their software.

That is really a bad news

So I wil go for homatics
I have been searching for the Holy Grail of media players, and I haven't found one yet.  I have the Dune version of the Homatics box and it is OK..

But it doesn't have A12 yet so no afr and no DTS HD passthrough

And with the new 8k playe I'm afraid of software update of old player

Dune in the time of Sigma chipset was a serious company
(2024-02-06, 00:05)hdmkv Wrote: Ordered a Homatics to play with. With ATV12 & DTS MA/X supposedly working on Android side, should be one of the most complete players features wise.

On a streaming performance improvement note, found this thread really helpful on using HTTP over SMB/NFS.

Thank you for the link cause i use nfs

btw, do you plan to do the ir mod ?
(2024-02-06, 00:05)hdmkv Wrote: Ordered a Homatics to play with. With ATV12 & DTS MA/X supposedly working on Android side, should be one of the most complete players features wise.

Looking forward to your feedback on that device when you get it.
I agree

After holiday I think I will buy it but with big remote
(2024-02-06, 19:33)Roby77 Wrote: I agree

After holiday I think I will buy it but with big remote
What big remote??
(2024-02-06, 14:53)Roby77 Wrote: btw, do you plan to do the ir mod ?
What’s the IR mod?
(2024-02-06, 22:39)hdmkv Wrote:
(2024-02-06, 14:53)Roby77 Wrote: btw, do you plan to do the ir mod ?
What’s the IR mod?

Basically to have full shutdown

https://discourse.coreelec.org/t/guide-h...g/28659/28

But probably more useful is heathsink mod
https://discourse.coreelec.org/t/guide-h.../28659/130
LOL i received a notification but i don't see the post

BTW Big remote is as dune remote, but homatics default is the mini without numpad etc

For me it's useful because i use numepad for seekpercentage and other key for toogle app (ex audioprofile)
I did find a few minutes to get my new Raspberry Pi 5 built, LibreElec loaded and had Kodi sync with my Mezzmo database (~22k items).  Total build time was about an hour or so.  My initial testing with it has been surprisingly good and I've updated my endpoint performance Wiki page.  Right now the Raspberry Pi 5 is the fastest device I have tested rendering a 150 item playlist at 106 items/sec.  This is over 5Ghz wireless and is faster than my PC,  Intel i7 NUC and others which are 1Gig Ethernet connected.  This aligns to the optimizations mentioned for the Raspberry Pi 5. 

The database sync time was almost as fast as my desktop PC running Kodi with an SSD and came in at around 9 minutes .  The Raspberry Pi is running off of an SD card.  I have an NVME hat coming and will try moving the Kodi database to it to see if there is a performance boost.  My Raspberry Pi 4 testing for the same database sync was 19 minutes.

I tested full bitrate h264 1080P and full bitrate h265 UHD 4K, including the John Wick 2 car chase scene which hits over 100mbps.   The highest CPU utilization I have seen is around 15% when playing 1080P Blu-Ray h264 rips, which the Raspberry Pi 5 renders in software.  Full bitrate h265 CPU utilization was about 5% and I confirmed HW decoding is being used. I also tested 1080i MPEG2 12mbps OTA streams and CPU utilization was low and playback smooth.  There were no issues with FF/RW, jumps or skips with any playback and again this was all over 5Ghz WiFi from my Mezzmo server.

I haven't done anything with audio pass-through testing yet, since this was all done in a few minutes using a computer monitor with speakers.  I'll try to find some time to do additional audio testing. 

Overall I am pleasantly surprised at the performance of the Raspberry Pi 5.

Thanks,

Jeff
Running with the Mezzmo Kodi addon.  The easier way to share your media with multiple Kodi clients.
Service.autostop , CBC Sports, Kodi Selective Cleaner and Mezzmo Kodi addon author.
That's good to hear. Guessing VC-1 software decode also has smooth playback?

Question is whether there are any benefits to RPi5 over N100? I ordered a N100 miniPC off Amazon yesterday for $120 w/8GB RAM + 256GB SSD. A RPi5 w/8GB RAM + power supply + mSD card is about the same price.
(2024-02-09, 18:09)hdmkv Wrote: That's good to hear. Guessing VC-1 software decode also has smooth playback?

Question is whether there are any benefits to RPi5 over N100? I ordered a N100 miniPC off Amazon yesterday for $120 w/8GB RAM + 256GB SSD. A RPi5 w/8GB RAM + power supply + mSD card is about the same price.

I had to dig around to see if I had any VC-1 rips left.  I found 3 full bitrate (~30 Mb/s) 1080P Blu-Ray files.  They played very smoothly with a max of 6% CPU utilization on the Raspberry Pi 5.  This is HTTP streaming from a Mezzmo server over 5Ghz wireless not SMB. 

I like both the Raspberry Pi 5 and my new N100.  I don't know which I like better but the hardware Electrical Engineer in me likes the additional hardware codecs in the N100 but my programmer side can't argue with the Raspberry Pi 5 performance in software.  I'll hook-up my N100 again soon and do some more playback testing.

I don't think you can go wrong with either one, nor the 3 new Vero Vs I have.  To me this is the advantage of Kodi over other solutions, where we have a wide selection of choices albeit we may not always get the very latest features of video codecs on all hardware options but it is nice to see this new class of devices showing up recently.  The software will eventually catch-up (except possibly licensed stuff from Dolby like DV and AC4). 

I do find it interesting that often in the forums folks often clamor for open standards and such yet rail on about needing DV support and are happy to use Android vs. Linux or will tout Android but throw shade on  Microsoft Windows..  I can't always square those circles.

Thanks,

Jeff
Running with the Mezzmo Kodi addon.  The easier way to share your media with multiple Kodi clients.
Service.autostop , CBC Sports, Kodi Selective Cleaner and Mezzmo Kodi addon author.
(2024-02-09, 22:43)jbinkley60 Wrote: I do find it interesting that often in the forums folks often clamor for open standards and such yet rail on about needing DV support and are happy to use Android vs. Linux or will tout Android but throw shade on  Microsoft Windows..  I can't always square those circles.

best to let everyone decide what they want, windows users will not be happy on linux, linux users won't be happy on windows, android users won't be happy on either one
i will say, android only has an advantage because it's locked down and so more companies will allow their content on it (widevine L1, AC4, etc) and companies do that to stop pirates
if we could ever stop pirates we might enjoy these features on open platforms
(if a pirate is reading this, FU)
(2024-02-09, 22:49)izprtxqkft Wrote:
(2024-02-09, 22:43)jbinkley60 Wrote: I do find it interesting that often in the forums folks often clamor for open standards and such yet rail on about needing DV support and are happy to use Android vs. Linux or will tout Android but throw shade on  Microsoft Windows..  I can't always square those circles.

best to let everyone decide what they want, windows users will not be happy on linux, linux users won't be happy on windows, android users won't be happy on either one
i will say, android only has an advantage because it's locked down and so more companies will allow their content on it (widevine L1, AC4, etc) and companies do that to stop pirates
if we could ever stop pirates we might enjoy these features on open platforms
(if a pirate is reading this, FU)

I fully concur on the choice comment and the technical advantage to Google and folks who leverage that the Google Android OS due to the controls it provides.  No different than Apple or Microsoft.  I personally use endpoints which run  Linux, Windows, Android, Roku, Tizen and other proprietary operating systems. as well as web clients, to stream my media content. 

I pick the best endpoint for the particular use case and have the ease/flexibility to switch them out in minutes with no loss of data, no change in content sharing nor any manual local library rebuilding.  I agree on the pirates but I am not sure that alone is Dolby Labs motivation for DV and AC4. 

I am also watching Google with VP8, VP9 and AV1.  They may force this issue by dropping other codecs in their online platforms.  As long as they don't drop some other major codecs, I don't see an issue but if they go to only using their own codecs, then that will become more of a concern. 

Thanks,

Jeff
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
State of Kodi Media Players: Best Options in 20240