Android Let's get controllers on Android fully working for v20.4
Ok. tried out your test build and you were correct.  The controller now works fine, but my remote no longer works.  Here my log in case it's any help.   ewuconuxad.kodi (paste)
I'm gonna go back to the standard kodi 20.5 as watching media is more important to me than playing games. Thanks for your help.
Thanks for testing, that's a great data point. And I wish I could finish the joystick work and get remotes working too, but you know, bills gotta get paid. I try to take 2 or 3 months off work for a Kodi feature or other side project, and given that I spent all January on the new Player Viewer, in a few months I'll be due for another Kodi sesh and getting Android input working is my top priority. Check back in a few months and see if there's any progress!
RetroPlayer releases: https://github.com/garbear/xbmc/releases

Donations: eigendude.eth
I’ve been using kodi since the original Xbox days so I truly appreciate what you and all the devs do. I’ll be happy to help test when you’re able to work on it again.
Hi @garbear . Sorry it took me so long to test this. Since I've taken so long to reply I wasn't sure what build I should be testing, or if you still need me to test this.

I tried with the last version in the Play Store (20.5 for me right now), the controllers aren't working. But the last build you asked to test in this thread (20.4 rc) everything seems to be working good. For now this is the log with the 20.4rc, and this is the log with 20.5.

Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help. Thank you for working on solving this!
So in the last two months, I got the joystick fixes perfect for *almost* all controllers, but it broke remotes. So it was reverted in the upstream repo. I still carry the fixes in my test builds, which you have the option of using (at the expense of breaking Android remotes).

My high priority task is to fix controllers *without* breaking remotes, but my Kodi time is currently limited now and in the near future, so it'll be a while before I'm able to do this.

Thanks for helping to test!

(2024-04-21, 00:16)garbear Wrote: So in the last two months, I got the joystick fixes perfect for *almost* all controllers, but it broke remotes. So it was reverted in the upstream repo. I still carry the fixes in my test builds, which you have the option of using (at the expense of breaking Android remotes).

My high priority task is to fix controllers *without* breaking remotes, but my Kodi time is currently limited now and in the near future, so it'll be a while before I'm able to do this.

Hi Garbear, thanks again for your awesome work.
I relied on the Nexus nightly channel which had your fixes and controllers worked great.
Now with the Omega update it remains broken, I wonder if your fixes are implemented in the nightly channel ? Otherwise we're SOL.
Thanks,
(2024-05-01, 18:45)janweinreich Wrote:
(2024-04-21, 00:16)garbear Wrote: So in the last two months, I got the joystick fixes perfect for *almost* all controllers, but it broke remotes. So it was reverted in the upstream repo. I still carry the fixes in my test builds, which you have the option of using (at the expense of breaking Android remotes).

I relied on the Nexus nightly channel which had your fixes and controllers worked great.
Now with the Omega update it remains broken, I wonder if your fixes are implemented in the nightly channel ? Otherwise we're SOL.
Thanks,

Yes, the "fixes" were reverted in master. Still too busy for heavy Kodi time but when I can get a chance I can cherry-pick the changes that don't break remotes and at least PR those. The more "standard" your controller, the higher likelihood the controller will work. Generic and knock-off controllers are the ones that have the most problems due to Android quirks.

I do builds for my own use, and publish them for others: https://github.com/garbear/xbmc/releases . You can read the release notes, and if it's appealing you can sideload the builds to get working controllers (but it breaks some remotes). If you want any customizations let me know, it's cheap to do another round of builds.

(2024-05-01, 20:22)garbear Wrote:
(2024-05-01, 18:45)janweinreich Wrote:

Thanks,

Yes, the "fixes" were reverted in master. Still too busy for heavy Kodi time but when I can get a chance I can cherry-pick the changes that don't break remotes and at least PR those. The more "standard" your controller, the higher likelihood the controller will work. Generic and knock-off controllers are the ones that have the most problems due to Android quirks.

I do builds for my own use, and publish them for others: https://github.com/garbear/xbmc/releases . You can read the release notes, and if it's appealing you can sideload the builds to get working controllers (but it breaks some remotes). If you want any customizations let me know, it's cheap to do another round of builds.

Really appreciate your willingness to help.
Maybe a good compromise is to only include the fixes on the nightly channel for mainstream controller and leave out the generic and knock-offs for now, without breaking remotes? It's not unreasonable to have a knockoff controller fail in Kodi and not have out of the box support.
Playstation, Xbox, Shield TV controllers come to mind as "should work out of the box".
(2024-05-04, 03:12)janweinreich Wrote: Maybe a good compromise is to only include the fixes on the nightly channel for mainstream controller and leave out the generic and knock-offs for now, without breaking remotes? It's not unreasonable to have a knockoff controller fail in Kodi and not have out of the box support.
Playstation, Xbox, Shield TV controllers come to mind as "should work out of the box".

Agree 100%. Will do this next time I rotate to heavy kodi time.

I hope I am in the right place to report.

I recently bought a cheap chinese bluetooth game controller for my daughter to play on her phone. I switched it to generic mode* and tested it with this app and works just fine. While i am able to control Kodi's interface, when trying to remap keys or play a game, keys control Kodi's interface and not the game. Should I also try one of the builds?

EDIT: Just tried one of the latest builds for ARM64 and it works as intended.

* it can have one more mode which can simulate touch events but that's a whole other story
>>> [zen for zen in zen_of_python if zen][0] == 'long_live_python_2'
True
(2024-05-08, 01:35)threshold84 Wrote: I recently bought a cheap chinese bluetooth game controller for my daughter to play on her phone. I switched it to generic mode* and tested it with this app and works just fine. While i am able to control Kodi's interface, when trying to remap keys or play a game, keys control Kodi's interface and not the game. Should I also try one of the builds?

(2024-05-08, 01:35)threshold84 Wrote: EDIT: Just tried one of the latest builds for ARM64 and it works as intended.

Yes, my test builds (link in my signature) fix generic controllers. The plan is to get fixes for most first party controllers into master, and then spend more time on fixes for generic controllers so as to not break remotes.

(2024-05-07, 04:09)garbear Wrote: Maybe a good compromise is to only include the fixes on the nightly channel for mainstream controller and leave out the generic and knock-offs for now, without breaking remotes? It's not unreasonable to have a knockoff controller fail in Kodi and not have out of the box support.

So, I've done this. I separated out all fixes from the old PR into new separate PRs and submitted against upstream. Notably, a commit was dropped that was probably the cause of most remote breakage.

My new round of builds contains the state that master will be at when all "safe" PRs are merged: https://github.com/garbear/xbmc/releases

This build should be approved for both controllers (generic and first-party) plus remotes. Please remote any problems.

If anyone can test, I expect that the only controllers that are still broken are ones that work in the UI but not in games.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Let's get controllers on Android fully working for v20.40