vnsiserver / kodi - (only) recordings stalls over VPN
Maybe someone knows this and has a solution - or confirms the behavior?

In the local network, everything has been running perfectly (for years), both live TV and recordings of SD and HD channels run smoothly via vnsiserver / Kodi, even with several (usually two, sometimes three) clients at the same time.
Same scenario via client over VPN (OpenVPN, also tested Wireguard with 10+MByte/s through the VPN), live TV still works perfectly, but(!) the recordings are jerky, run for a few seconds, then you can see how the buffer (circle with percentage) is filled, repeats itself again and again.
It's not the Internet connection - several 100 MBit down/upload on both sides (fiber optic access). Live TV also runs smoothly on the HD channels with more bandwidth, but even the SD recordings are jerky.
With top, no anomalies can be seen on either side, low CPU load, no wait.

VDR-Server:
vdr:~ # vdr -V
vdr (2.6.4/2.6.3) - The Video Disk Recorder
conflictcheckonly (0.0.1) - Direct access to epgsearch's conflict check menu
devstatus (0.5.0) - Status of dvb devices
epgsearch (2.4.1) - search the EPG for repeats and more
epgsearchonly (0.0.1) - Direct access to epgsearch's search menu
epgtableid0 (2.4.0) - EPG handler for events with table id 0x00
femon (2.4.0) - DVB Signal Information Monitor (OSD)
hello (2.4.0) - A friendly greeting
live (3.2.1) - Live Interactive VDR Environment
osddemo (2.4.1) - Demo of arbitrary OSD setup
pictures (2.6.1) - A simple picture viewer
quickepgsearch (0.0.1) - Quick search for broadcasts
satip (2.4.1) - SAT>IP Devices
skincurses (2.4.3) - A text only skin
status (2.4.0) - Status monitor test
streamdev-server (0.6.3) - VDR Streaming Server
svccli (2.4.0) - Service demo client
svcsvr (2.4.0) - Service demo server
svdrpdemo (2.4.0) - How to add SVDRP support to a plugin
vnsiserver (1.8.0) - VDR-Network-Streaming-Interface (VNSI) Server

Kodi Client:
20.2 (also 18.4 tested with same issue)

Also posted in german at VDR Portal:
https://www.vdr-portal.de/forum/index.ph...BCber-vpn/
see https://kodi.wiki/view/Official:VPN_policy

since your setup works fine locally and the only issue is when using a VPN then there would be no support for it here
recommend seeking support from your VPN Provider(s)
Thanks for the hint.
I would like to specify that this is the kernel implementation of wireguard in openSUSE Leap, there are no VPN providers involved.
Wireguard extends the network layer of my local network with a KODI device at my parents' house, which allows them to watch and record SAT-TV.

The only issue on this scenario is the part "Recordings" from vnsi, "LiveTV" from same vnsi do well, also other applications. Maybe its related to the latency, with a ping I see stable 40ms.
I don't expect any explicit support from the team, but I would ask them and especially the community to do so.
As already noted, we do not cover this kind of thing.

I would suggest approaching it the other way, and try a community forum for Wireguard or OpenVPN (depending on which you prefer).

Your particular case is benign, but as it's so easy for any advice we give to be used for purposes that violate our piracy policy (wiki), we do not give any advice on such matters here nor do we allow any to be posted even for cases like yours.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
vnsiserver / kodi - (only) recordings stalls over VPN0