Information Tvheadend - The Saga Continues
Everyone:

Just to let you know that, after too many years of bumping along in maintenance mode, a few folks have got together and made the effort to "reboot" the Tvheadend project. We're still very short of active developers and dedicated focus, but we've made a start.

So, we've this week (okay, yesterday, 05 Feb 2024) migrated the forum over to a new server with new software - as well as giving us a more modern look-and-feel and a responsive layout, this also allows us to deal with the endless battle against spam that all forums suffer from. Due to stalwart work by a few good people, we've hopefully kept the vast majority of content (including links, but not attachments), so we should have retained the years of knowledge that had accumulated in the Old Place.

Forum URL: https://tvheadend.org

We've also changed the way that issues are raised. Because of the sheer lack of activity over recent years, we'll be retiring all old bugs and starting again with Github issues, so, if you do see a problem, please arm yourself with a debug log and head on over. If you're a coder, and want to work on some hoopy new feature, then the same Github issues can be used to raise (and claim) feature requests.

Github issues: https://github.com/tvheadend/tvheadend/issues

It's been a while, but the project is alive and well: look out for a new official point release in the near future.

Thanks for sticking with us,

The Tvheadend team.
Search | Banned addons (wiki) | Forum rules (wiki) | First time user (wiki) | FAQs (wiki) | Troubleshooting (wiki) | Add-ons (wiki) | Free content (wiki) | Debug log (wiki)Free Content
@Prof Yaffle
Thanks for the update.
I'm a Windows user primarily, but must admit I've always been interested in using Tvheadend, particularly given the continued popularity it has amongst Kodi users. Do you think there might ever come a time with this renewed enthusiasm for development that a Windows version of the Tvheadend server would ever be available to install?
Are there any specific reasons that would prevent such a thing?
Yaffle, great to see you jumping in here! Been a LOOOOONG time happy user of TvHeadend, never looked back to my MythTV days.
Should be interesting to see how long the renewed interest in project lasts for. I remember the original project maintainers begging for volunteers to come on board and those pleas falling on deaf ears.

For an application that was/is supposedly so popular and in regular use by many I am still trying to figure out why development fell by the wayside through lack of volunteer coders etc in light of the upsurge in renewed interest now. Was it something as simple as a new look forum I wonder.

It didn’t help of course that access to the original project and forum fell away to such an extent that nobody had full access in the end.

Hopefully that mistake won’t be repeated again and any volunteer who has been granted administrative access and decides to ride off into the sunset informs the other volunteers of that fact.
(2024-02-06, 20:32)Dumyat Wrote: Do you think there might ever come a time with this renewed enthusiasm for development that a Windows version of the Tvheadend server would ever be available to install?
Are there any specific reasons that would prevent such a thing?
I suspect not. I'm not enough of a programmer to know for certain, but I suspect it's all too tied in with the Linux DVB stuff, so porting it would be "not trivial". You might be able to run it in a VM, though and - who knows - maybe WSL would allow such things in due course.

<checks>

Yes, there are some posts on the Tvheadend forum about both of these things, with people managing to get both working. There's hope yet Smile
Search | Banned addons (wiki) | Forum rules (wiki) | First time user (wiki) | FAQs (wiki) | Troubleshooting (wiki) | Add-ons (wiki) | Free content (wiki) | Debug log (wiki)Free Content
(2024-02-07, 00:23)petediscrete Wrote: Should be interesting to see how long the renewed interest in project lasts for. I remember the original project maintainers begging for volunteers to come on board and those pleas falling on deaf ears.

For an application that was/is supposedly so popular and in regular use by many I am still trying to figure out why development fell by the wayside through lack of volunteer coders etc in light of the upsurge in renewed interest now. Was it something as simple as a new look forum I wonder.

It didn’t help of course that access to the original project and forum fell away to such an extent that nobody had full access in the end.

Hopefully that mistake won’t be repeated again and any volunteer who has been granted administrative access and decides to ride off into the sunset informs the other volunteers of that fact.
I think reality is that many FOSS projects struggle for volunteers, and many are really the purview of one person with a clear vision and the skills to make it happen. Lose the person, and things inevitably stall.

We're being careful this time to have multiple key-holders and to avoid e.g. personal email addresses, so that things can be handed over or spread more widely as need be.

Let's see what we can do...
(2024-02-07, 17:18)Prof Yaffle Wrote: Yes, there are some posts on the Tvheadend forum about both of these things, with people managing to get both working. There's hope yet Smile
That's great.
Maybe a slight glimmer of hope then  Wink
Nice work Smile
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Great news, using tvheadend now for more than 10 years, the swiss army knife of tv servers ... but I would recommend to focus on far less but more stable features and a more comfortable way to configure it.

Used a while Tv Mosaic CE and was really amazed how easy and fast it was to configure ...
The TVH Configuration Wizard does all the heavy lifting. Once TVH is installed and first access to the web UI is made it steps you through the process. No difficulties there. Couldn’t be much easier really.
(2024-04-23, 17:59)petediscrete Wrote: The TVH Configuration Wizard does all the heavy lifting. Once TVH is installed and first access to the web UI is made it steps you through the process. No difficulties there. Couldn’t be much easier really.

okay, didn't know about a configuration wizard Smile .. but even if the first install is automatically done it's still not as easy as it could be for example to add a new channel, change existing ones and so on ... I'm a long time user and know the interface and the blells and whistles but there is a steep learning curve ...
Seriously. Adding or changing a channel is difficult. A simple scan of the mux where the channels reside followed by mapping the new services and you’re done. I cannot see any difficulties there and certainly not for a long time user of TVH. When’s the last time you installed TVH and what version are you using. Sounds like you’re using an old version. Don’t forget the accompanying on line install and configuration documentation too. Many users never even bother using it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Tvheadend - The Saga Continues0