Subtitles enabled by default for ISO files in Kodi 20.3 but not in Kodi 19.5
I am running Kodi on several platforms and with the current 20.3 version subtitles are always enabled when I play an ISO file. I can turn them off but they don't stay off for other ISO files or subsequent playing of the same ISO file. I can turn the subtitles off temporarily but when I replay the ISO or play another, the subtitles are back on.

I am currently seeing this issue on the following configurations:

Windows 11/Kodi 20.3/Amber and default skins
Nvidia Shield TV/Kodi 20.3/Amber skin
Google TV/Kodi 20.3/default skin

I do not see this issue with the following configurations:

Raspberry Pi/Kodi 19.5/Amber skin
Nvidia Shield TV/Kodi 19.5/Amber skin
I just downgraded my Windows 11 PC to Kodi 19.5 and the subtitles are NOT enabled for each ISO. Something changed between 19.5 and 20.3 to cause this issue.

Can 20.3 be configured to not enable subtitles?
To change the default to NOT enable subtitles. In the OSD operation settings while playing a video, subtitle settings, ensure subtitle is off and you have flagged set as default for all media.  That work? The keyboard letter 'T' Toggle this.
I tried this. It turns off the subtitle for that instance of playing the ISO but replaying the ISO or playing another ISO results in subtitles being ON again.
Kodi .nfo stores subtitle listings, and it looks as if the .iso is not respecting the written setting, or most likely doesn't write it in the first place. If you have watched a movie, is the "watched' status indicated & updated (failure here indicates the write to .nfo is not transpiring and the old .iso format is not seen or file pathed incorrectly.

I don't use .iso formats and don't run into this, might be something to report HOW-TO:Submit a bug report (wiki) although this file method for storage is not typically something developers are going to fall over themselves to address.
Was resolution to this issue found?

I’m running Kodi on 3 Vero 4K+'s & 1 Vero V, and upon upgrading Kodi in Feb, every install has subtitles stuck on for all (DVD) movies stored in VIDEO TS folders (VIDEO_TS.IFO files).  There is no issue with movie files in mkv containers, and I don't use ISO files.  Disabling subtitles in the subtitles menu (while playing the movie) using the OSD only works temporarily - upon exiting & re-entering a movie, they are re-enabled again. (However, it should be noted if the movie is stopped & ‘resumed’, the subtitles do stay disabled upon resuming - It’s only when starting the movie from start that they reset to 'on').  

One other observation: The DVD extras (bonus content, featurettes, etc) play fine (no subtitles), and I have confirmed subtitles do exist for these extras, and can manually turn them on via the player OSD subtitles menu. It’s only the main feature that has them defaulted to on.

Thanks

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Subtitles enabled by default for ISO files in Kodi 20.3 but not in Kodi 19.50