tvOS Million dollar question... VLC s/pdif works!! Kodi Not!
Hi, my title was a bit of a joke, but from what I'll write.. a little less. I have been using kodi for over 10 years, I took a two year break to try Plex Now, since I consumed a a mac book pro by dint of transcoding with Plex I decided to buy an Apple tv 4 HD and put the mac aside. After the arrival of the apple tv 4 I did everything necessary to install KODI and start streaming it from my nas. After a week of in-depth study on the possibility of Passthrough.. The study I refer to all the data on the network.. from your site and the rest of the world.. also in other languages, I bought new hdmi cables.. I bought a branded audio extractor.. I did dozens of tests.... but after all this, i find myself not being able to use my amp with a real Dolby Surround Ac3 and Dts sound via optical output. Yes the output passthrough passes me the audio but a mere pcm and if I activate the dolby or dts a mess of sound interferens happens. Now tired of testing and buying, I decided to install VLC for apple tv. To my immense amazement and regret, I am here to ask you, the creators of the aforementioned media center, why all this. I try VLC and in the movie menu I find that it has the option of passthrough through s/pdif. I activate it and incredible but true the sound in the amplifier becomes a real dolby Ac3 (like once), with all the speaker icons on, sure if I also select the dts… the dts icon doesn't turn on but the audio is a real dts. Here I am to ask you the question...

Why does VLC manage to pass the real dolby (ac3) and KODI notHuh what happens to your program? i tried kodi 17 18 19 20 but nothing. VLC YES!

Sorry for the long post but I am exhausted to find a solution..
To receive meaningful assistance you will need to provide a full debug log.

The instructions are here... debug log (wiki)

If you are using the Basic Method, then ensure the following is applied...
1.Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging,
2.Restart Kodi
3.Replicate the problem.
4.Upload the log to Kodi Paste Site manually or use the Kodi Logfile Uploader. (wiki) With either method post the link to the log back here.

If you are using the Advanced Method ensure you have correctly created and applied the advancedsettings.xml file (wiki)

In both instances, you should see the word DEBUG throughout the log.

Note: Full logs only. No partial or redacted logs
Do NOT post your logs directly into the forum. Use the Kodi Paste Site. Post the link to your pasted log in the forum
Learning Linux the hard way !!
note: s/pdif is antiquated and will not support modern hi-def audio formats (atmos, dtsx)
opinion: it would be a much more worth-while endeavor to get eARC working

carry on
Ok... I hope I did it right.. i hid for Privacy ip server only.

https://paste.kodi.tv/eruladazal.kodi

Thanks.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Million dollar question... VLC s/pdif works!! Kodi Not!0