Android Multiple bugs with TCL screen (ATMOS sound and PVR)
Hello all,

I'm contacting you because I encounter multiples bugs with Kodi with my new TCL 55MQLED87 tv.

I bought this TV because I had a LG 43UH603V previously and bought a SAMSUNG HW-Q990C soundbar to have ATMOS and DTS-X sound for theater experience.
As my LG tv can't read ATMOS files, I bought a Nvidia Shield PRO TV. I installed KODI on it and I could play my ATMOS films perfectly. But I don't agree with the principle of paying for equipment that is starting to get old at €219, the same price as when it was released 6 years ago... 
And above all I had to navigate between the SHIELD remote controls and the TV to watch the films or watch the TNT channels (FRANCE).
I wanted to have everything available on a single remote control and I told myself that having Android OS natively would make my task easier.

I therefore decided to buy an Android OS TV, like the Shield, larger for better immersion and my choice therefore turned to this QLED Mini-Led TV which seems perfect on paper (best value for money, 700€ after offer of refund).

And then the trouble begins.
First problem
Some files cannot be read natively by the TCL file manager, it seems to be for files with TrueHD audio tracks.
Same, fairly large ATMOS demonstration files in .TS are not read, the image stutters or simply cannot follow (although processor more recent than NVIDIA and even 3GB RAM)

So I installed KODI on the TV and activated Passthrough but the soundbar does not display Dolby ATMOS on the example files (Amaze and Core Univers from Dolby) although it displayed it well when I had the NVIDIA SHIELD.
It says "Dolby Digital".
The files have not been modified so I don't understand, I downloaded other example files, DolbyVision this time because the TV is compatible and there TV recognizes the ATMOS and VISION files.
Whereas when playing these files via the TV's native content manager, it displays Dolby Atmos...
It doesn't happen to me often but I'm totally lost now.

The second problem
My new TV can't make pause on live tv channel unlike my previous TV and although a hard drive is connected to it.
So I inquired about perhaps having a recorder (PVR) on the TV and I saw that KODI had one.
So I followed the steps to install the Catch-up TV & More add-on, I had a lot of trouble because the stable version is not accessible and once the BETA version is installed, I can actually put the TV paused.
Except that the content is jerky, I have jerky images and sound, probably because it goes over the internet and doesn't use my antenna connection.
However, I am connected via Ethernet with cat.6 cabling so fairly high speed...
Is it possible to have a recorder but using the TV channels from the antenna and not from internet access?

Thanks all for your help
device limitation

as you have already found out when the device actually works properly (shield) then so does kodi
Kodi does not sell TCL is not involved in it's development and cannot overcome it's limitations
I have some TCL tvs too.
Its have avesome display, one of the bests, but as mediaplayer unusable, forget it.
Simple too weak the performance.
Use/pay one firestick 4k max2, or shield tv pro, or homatics box, all your issue will fix then.
Just return it ... Life is too short to sit on bad quality stuff ... returning is better than workarounding, cause it's a statement towards "firmware islands".
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Never had any problems with Kodi on my TCL TV.  In fact, the only reason I switched to a firestick is because my tv has eARC but my AVR hasn't.  And I wanted TrueHD etc.  Otherwise, can't fault my TV at all.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
Hi,

Thanks to all for your feedback.

So, 3 solutions mentionned : 
1/ Device limitation
What is the limitation of TV? On the manufacturer's paper, it is clearly mentioned that the TV is compatible with multiple audio and video formats, therefore the .TS which glitches during playback (image does not follow).
in addition, TrueHd is indeed mentioned and this is verified by playing this type of content via the TV's native player, but this is lost (or seems to be lost) when reading these same files via KODI since the bar its no longer displays ATMOS but displays DOLBY DIGITAL.
However, this did not pose a problem via the NVIDIA Shield even though the hardware characteristics are the same: 3GB RAM and Quad-core processor.

2/ Return the TV => On paper and test reviews, it's a great TV. I make some configurations because the auto contrast and auto luminosity make me blink my eyes but turning it off works better.
The image is beautiful and I don't see any drop in quality compared to my previous TV LG 43UH603V which was already very good with the advantage of the IPS panel which I lose to the detriment of a QLED + MiniLed system.
The 55" size is really best and I choose this reference for the QLED + Mini Led Quality because I was afraid of OLED and the marking of the panel.
The other 2 TVs I had chosen were the LG 55QNED86 and the SAMSUNG 55QN90C but price is around 1100€ than 700€ for this TCL with even seeing better characteristics and which do not include Android OS for KODI, the choice was quickly made...

3/ Use independant box => all these players (firestick, nvidia shield, ...) running on Android 11 like the TV OS no ?
I don't understand why these players can decode perfectly media than the TV can't if they're based on same OS...
I'm not going to mince my words but it annoys me to have to put €100-200 back into an auxiliary player when the TV should do it natively... And as I say previously, I don't want to switch between the external player to see TV channel (via antenna) and players to read movies.
Especially since I bought the Shield to be able to play via GeForce and ultimately the free accounts (I'm not a big gamer and the 2 hour sessions suited me well) are closed, so the product is useless in my opinion.

I choose this TV because it's mentioned ATMOS and DTS:X compatibility and in fact it can play it via the native player, with problems on certain files, but not via KODI that's why I'm wondering about KODI plugins or problem of settings.
However passthrgough is activated and all the decoding options, I left in system 2.0 instead of 7.1 otherwise Dolby AC3 does not appear.
But on the first setting, I can't choose other decoding plugins than Android.

My HW-Q990C is connected via eARC on TV.
Previsouly with NVIDIA Shield and LG 43UH603V, only got ARC connection : media Amaze and Core universe playing ATMOS (displayed on soundbar)
With TCL and native player => displayed ATMOS on soundbar
With TCL and KODI => displayed DOLBY DIGITAL on soundbar

Hope you can help me do unlock my problem to use KODI perfectly with lossless decoding of my videos
(2024-02-14, 13:10)Qmo25 Wrote: 3/ Use independant box => all these players (firestick, nvidia shield, ...) running on Android 11 like the TV OS no ?
I don't understand why these players can decode perfectly media than the TV can't if they're based on same OS...
Shield tv or firestick
designed for meda playing, use special, modified os for decoding and playing all media formats. > your tv use pure android tv 11, whitch cannot do.
These players can use correct frame rate switch > your tv apps cannot.
These players can run the android tv gui at native 4K > your tv cannot.
These players can passtrough all audio format with kodi > your tv cannot.

You can live with these limitations, and you will happy.
Or, you can use external media player.
Or, as fritsch wrote, you can send the tv back.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Multiple bugs with TCL screen (ATMOS sound and PVR)0