• 5(current)
Information Running Kodi under Dune HD Pro One 8K Plus
No it's not an issue with the receiver itself I believe it's a really new model the Sony TA-AN10000 and it definitely supports HDR as well as DV. Moreover when I stop using Kodi HDR10 Dolby Vision etc they all play fine. Just not in Kodi because it does a detection process to decide what format it's going to output to your TV on Hybrid formats. This probably doesn't happen on videos that aren't Hybrid as Kodi wouldn't need to determine anything cause there's no choice to begin with. I think it's more the detection process that Kodi uses by using android API's to determine your TV capabilities. I can understand how it works for you since the Dune is directly connected to your TV making the detection easy whereas in my setup the dune is first connected to the AVR and then gets send to the TV through the EARC port.
Back here to report my issue was fixed. Turns out it wasn't AVR related but a crappy HDMI cable which made the Android API detect my display as non HDR/DV capable. It's funny though as usually when HDMI cables aren't good enough I start to notice flickering and such and never really saw it this time. Which never made me question the quality of the cable. Oh well live and learn....
(2024-03-23, 18:03)banggun Wrote: Back here to report my issue was fixed. Turns out it wasn't AVR related but a crappy HDMI cable which made the Android API detect my display as non HDR/DV capable. It's funny though as usually when HDMI cables aren't good enough I start to notice flickering and such and never really saw it this time. Which never made me question the quality of the cable. Oh well live and learn....

Thanks for the update.
@garethk1979 provided me the correct playercorefactoy script and now, Kodi uses the DuneHD player.  Kodi now plays my Dolby Vision profile 7 perfectly.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<playercorefactory>
  <players>
    <player name="dunehd" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="true" video="true">
       <filename>com.dunehd.app</filename>
    </player>
  </players>

<rules action="prepend">
    <rule name="my_rule1" player="dunehd" video="true"/>
  </rules>
</playercorefactory>
Awesome. Just tested it and indeed it works perfectly. Though admittedly I'm really coming to terms with Kodi's built in player as I noticed even the VS10 engine kicks in with Kodi's default video player unlike with the Zidoo.

Little side note for people trying to play back files over smb networks shares make sure that if you add your network locations in Kodi separately that you add them both over either hostname or IP address. They dune player will fall back to samba shares you previously mapped in the Dune app itself so they must match 1 to 1.
(2024-03-24, 21:33)banggun Wrote:  Though admittedly I'm really coming to terms with Kodi's built in player as I noticed even the VS10 engine kicks in with Kodi's default video player unlike with the Zidoo.
Are you sure th VS engine kicks in with Kodi's default player??  How do you test??  Dolby Vision with profile 7 will NOT even play without enabling the compatibility mode.
Sorry perhaps I got you your hopes up for the wrong reason. My testing is different and I'm not all that knowledgeable about all the Dolby Vision profiles but what I did notice is that the Dune has an option to for example remap SDR videos to DV (if I'm not mistaken this is handled by the VS10 engine).

So when I play back an SDR video with the Kodi built in player it will output the SDR video with Dolby Vision enabled also colours are rendered differently. I remember trying the same thing on the Zidoo in Kodi and it definitely didn't work. If you can give me a Dolby Vision 7 profile video as example I could try testing that too of course, although I'm fairly sure you already tried that yourself ....
(2024-03-24, 23:23)banggun Wrote: Sorry perhaps I got you your hopes up for the wrong reason. My testing is different and I'm not all that knowledgeable about all the Dolby Vision profiles but what I did notice is that the Dune has an option to for example remap SDR videos to DV (if I'm not mistaken this is handled by the VS10 engine).

So when I play back an SDR video with the Kodi built in player it will output the SDR video with Dolby Vision enabled also colours are rendered differently. I remember trying the same thing on the Zidoo in Kodi and it definitely didn't work. If you can give me a Dolby Vision 7 profile video as example I could try testing that too of course, although I'm fairly sure you already tried that yourself ....

Unless you install the playercorefactory script, Kodi uses it's own player.  Kodi does not even know the Dune player exist.
I know. But have you noticed how certain settings in Kodi get completely ignored/overruled like frame rate/refresh rate matching? When you set this in Kodi it does nothing and only seems to adhere to the settings you set in the Dune app. Similarly have you tried playing back an SDR file and set the Dune app to render SDR videos in DV. It will apply even when playing in Kodi the Dune settings definitely seems to have some effect even on Kodi's built in videoplayer. Whether that's supposed to happen or not it's definitely happening on my end.
(2024-03-25, 00:31)banggun Wrote: I know. But have you noticed how certain settings in Kodi get completely ignored/overruled like frame rate/refresh rate matching? When you set this in Kodi it does nothing and only seems to adhere to the settings you set in the Dune app. Similarly have you tried playing back an SDR file and set the Dune app to render SDR videos in DV. It will apply even when playing in Kodi the Dune settings definitely seems to have some effect even on Kodi's built in videoplayer. Whether that's supposed to happen or not it's definitely happening on my end.

I never paid that much attention.
(2024-03-24, 17:41)clarkss12 Wrote: @garethk1979 provided me the correct playercorefactoy script and now, Kodi uses the DuneHD player.  Kodi now plays my Dolby Vision profile 7 perfectly.
It does? As in proper FEL playback? Just took delivery of an Ugoos AM6B+ to try CoreELEC with DV P7.
(2024-03-26, 00:26)hdmkv Wrote:
(2024-03-24, 17:41)clarkss12 Wrote: @garethk1979 provided me the correct playercorefactoy script and now, Kodi uses the DuneHD player.  Kodi now plays my Dolby Vision profile 7 perfectly.
It does? As in proper FEL playback? Just took delivery of an Ugoos AM6B+ to try CoreELEC with DV P7.

With all the discussion of proper playback of Dolby Vision profile 7, I'm not sure if the dune actually utilizes the correct profile 7.

Keep us updated on that Ugoos box that you just got.
I was tempted to get one also.
(2024-03-26, 03:21)clarkss12 Wrote:
(2024-03-26, 00:26)hdmkv Wrote:

With all the discussion of proper playback of Dolby Vision profile 7, I'm not sure if the dune actually utilizes the correct profile 7.

Keep us updated on that Ugoos box that you just got.
I was tempted to get one also.
Sorry to get in this discussion but how would we be able to detect if Dolby Vision was correctly being rendered? I mean I'm all for getting the best player possible, at the same time if the difference isn't visible to our eyes then what are we still talking about? To my current understanding this sort of sounds like high-res audio discussion where we're talking about imperceivable differences of quality to humans or am I getting this wrong ?
(2024-03-26, 11:00)banggun Wrote:
(2024-03-26, 03:21)clarkss12 Wrote:  
Sorry to get in this discussion but how would we be able to detect if Dolby Vision was correctly being rendered? 

Easily with DV test files from here
Ah yes in that sense I would say the Dune so far hasn't botched any test file though I may have missed a few from there. The thing I've heard for example about the infamous Nvidia red shift push that many complain about so while it might play back the file it might still do so incorrectly. If you know what to look for then you can detect the issue with it. The issue mentioned above however I don't think is the infamous red shift push hence my question
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Running Kodi under Dune HD Pro One 8K Plus0