Problems in Windows Vista with adjusted font size (DPI)
Hi

I'm not sure if this bug is reported before or if there is a workaround for this problem. The problem occured when i adjusted my font size in vista to 150% of normal size. My resolution is 1920x1280 using my hdtv so i need bigger font when im sitting couple of meters from the screen. When i start xbmc with bigger font the xbmc screen goes outside the screen. Anyone have any solution to this problem ?
I'm using xbmc on my xbox all the time its a wonderful piece of software. So i was hoping to replace the crappy original mediacenter in vista Smile

Thx in advance for any suggestions.
Can anyone confirm this bug and should it be posted in bug tracker ?
Sorry, didn't had the time to test this out. Would be nice if some else could confirm it first before putting it in trac.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
I had the same Problem.
I think it could be fixed in code but there is also a workarround:
Goto Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Personalization
Hit "Adjust Font Size" -> "Custom DPI..." -> Check "Use Windows XP style DPI scaling" -> reboot

Now the problem should be gone.
I can confirm this, i have the same problem using beta2.
I have Pioneer 5090 1080p and HTPC with Ati4870 and if i cannot change the dpi, fonts are too small to read.

I'm going to try the workaround but maybe it can be fixed without workaround

(fixing this and adding support to start pc games and this would be a kickass media center for windows Smile Good job already!)
XBMC does not use the underlying Windows operating-system DPI settings for fonts. XBMC has its own font renderer engine and it is entirely up to the skinners to set the font size for a skin, if you like to change the font size for a skin then you must manually edit the skins XML files, (or look in the settings of some skins like MediaStream which offers different font settings). So, there is nothing to 'fix' in XBMC as this is a skinning question.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
Gamester17 Wrote:XBMC does not use the underlying Windows operating-system DPI settings for fonts.

while this is true it looks like that this is no single case and reported by a few users. I didn't had the time to test it yet.
I googled dpi and xbmc and ended up here. could totaly been me who made this thread because i have the exact same problems. I boosted the dpi to make it possible to browse the web etc from the couch with out destroying the eyes. using the mediastream skin i fixed this the uggly way by going in to the appearance settings and changed skin zoom to negative 20%, though that just kind of fixed it because i couldnt zoom out more so subtitles was still outside of the picture.

can anyone confirm that old style xp dpi scaling works?
abc80 Wrote:can anyone confirm that old style xp dpi scaling works?

It works fine in xbmc but it dosent work so good in all other software. Ill hope there will be somekind of fix to this problem. That xbmc will scale skins correctly according to your dpi settings.
Is this bug being worked on? I am having the exact same problem. I love XBMC and I use it every day. I am also willing to make the rest of my windows look absolutely terrible by selecting XP scaling, just to be able to use it. I am just curious if a fix for this is in the works and then I can go back to having the rest of Vista look good again on my 46 in.
A patch is welcomed.
I've had this problem too (Samsung thread)
Just tried the "use XP font rendering" check box.
Changed the font DPI to 150 and XBMC shows up correctly on my Weestinghouse LCD. Without checking that little box, XBMC would render itself too large to use.
I just installed version 8.10 of xbmc and still having trouble with skin go outside of screen with custom dpi settings and without Windows XP style DPI scaling. I tried skin zoom to bad it stops at -20% it helps a lot. But still some of skin go outside of screen. Im using 144dpi (150%) so if someone are using lower than this maybe skin zoom will work perfect for you.
Try use the setting only for the xbmc by:

Right click on XBMC.exe, properties, compatibility tab and then deactivate scaling on high DPI.
Asus P5N7A-VM|Win7 32bit|Intel C2D E8400|2GB|integrated nVidia 9300-HDMI|Integrated Audio-Optical SPDIF| 50" plasma 3DTV (Samsung PS50C7705)
Unfortunately I can't disable XP scaling on my Vista. Dunno why:
http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/5238

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Problems in Windows Vista with adjusted font size (DPI)2