How to disable kodi scaler which is defaulted to 20%?
I have an nvidia shield with my LG tv so both have scaling, i didnt find an option to disable the kodi scaler
if you're talking about a default 20% then you're looking at HQ scalers https://kodi.wiki/view/Settings/Player/V...ling_above
that's not how you change scaling, that's just the scaling "method"

if you want no scaling you need to enable refresh rate switching and whitelist https://kodi.wiki/view/Settings/System/D...#Whitelist
when whitelisting, if 1080p is whitelisted then you play something at 1080p Kodi changes the device resolution to 1080p and outputs without any scaling
then that output is scaled by the display to the screen size

note: refresh rate has nothing to do with scale but it happens within the same mechanism, if you do not want refresh rate switching then only whitelist resolutions at a specific refresh rate, 1080p60+4K60 f.e.
It has no affect on Android at all ... it's for OpenGLES ... while Shield uses MediacodecSurface which does it all ... nice to see that you don't see a single difference ...
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2024-02-29, 04:36)izprtxqkft Wrote: if you're talking about a default 20% then you're looking at HQ scalers https://kodi.wiki/view/Settings/Player/V...ling_above
that's not how you change scaling, that's just the scaling "method"

if you want no scaling you need to enable refresh rate switching and whitelist https://kodi.wiki/view/Settings/System/D...#Whitelist
when whitelisting, if 1080p is whitelisted then you play something at 1080p Kodi changes the device resolution to 1080p and outputs without any scaling
then that output is scaled by the display to the screen size

note: refresh rate has nothing to do with scale but it happens within the same mechanism, if you do not want refresh rate switching then only whitelist resolutions at a specific refresh rate, 1080p60+4K60 f.e.
So i do want the 720/1080 to be scaled by the TV, not kodi, but i do want the 720/1080/4k etc; to be at 60hz all the time, is that an option?
(2024-02-29, 23:53)xboxhaxorz Wrote: So i do want the 720/1080 to be scaled by the TV, not kodi, but i do want the 720/1080/4k etc; to be at 60hz all the time, is that an option?

yes, only put resolutions in the whitelist that are 60hz
(2024-02-29, 23:55)izprtxqkft Wrote:
(2024-02-29, 23:53)xboxhaxorz Wrote: So i do want the 720/1080 to be scaled by the TV, not kodi, but i do want the 720/1080/4k etc; to be at 60hz all the time, is that an option?

yes, only put resolutions in the whitelist that are 60hz
Great thanks
That’s a bad idea my friend. As a fellow Nvidia Shield TV user with an LG OLED TV. I’d suggest you whitelisting all the framerates, long time ago even before I had an LG OLED TV, I had a Samsung TV and I used to watch everything at 59.9/60Hz refresh rate in Kodi and there were many instances where I experienced video stutters regarding the awful interlacing that the Shield TV devices have. At the time I didn’t knew it was caused from that, only found out after many hours and days of research and many recommendations in various forums even here in the Kodi community to start watching Movies, TV Shows, etc. at their native frame rate.

Meaning, whistelisting all refresh rate adjustments in order for Kodi to switch to the correct one everytime you’re about to watch any content, that way you’ll have a stutter free video playback experience.

Another suggestion or recommendation from a long time user experiencing the difference in Upscaling methods between LG OLED TV vs Shield TV and how blurry and less detailed the LG TV upscaler is. You may want to avoid using it, specifically when it’s paired with an Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 if that’s the one you have. It has a far better AI Upscaler. I’ve had countless hours comparing both myself and eventually opted out for letting do all my Upscaling for 1080p videos or lower. So, in that case you only whitelist all “2160p” refresh rate options leaving everything else off. That way, the Nvidia Shield takes care of the content upscaling. Another issue a lot of people do is leaving the Nvidia AI Upscaling in the default “Medium” or going for the “High” option. That’s too much, if you want the most 4K look for the upscaling without too much sharpening only the proper that compares the most to a real 4K recorded video. You choose the “Low” within the AI Upscaling options. At lot of people if they’re accustomed to the Medium or High options at first they will see the Low option as a bit blurry. But trust me, after 24hours of only using that option you’ll see it as the most convincing without being to harsh on edges and sharpening will be very similar to a true 4K video without going beyond crazy and looking too artificial.
(2024-03-01, 15:54)Nuklear92 Wrote: Another suggestion or recommendation from a long time user experiencing the difference in Upscaling methods between LG OLED TV vs Shield TV and how blurry and less detailed the LG TV upscaler is.

You choose the “Low” within the AI Upscaling options. At lot of people if they’re accustomed to the Medium or High options at first they will see the Low option as a bit blurry. But trust me, after 24hours of only using that option you’ll see it as the most convincing without being to harsh on edges and sharpening will be very similar to a true 4K video without going beyond crazy and looking too artificial.

Which LG Oled are you referring to? (model, year)
How does this "Low" setting compare to (your Oled) upscaling?
(2024-03-01, 15:54)Nuklear92 Wrote: at first they will see the Low option as a bit blurry. But trust me, after 24hours of only using that option you’ll see it as the most convincing without being to harsh on edges

are you saying you get used to it being a bit blurry?

being a bit blurry on shield was my experience on every setting, much like wearing glasses that were prescribed for someone else, depending on the setting the prescription changed but still blurry and i couldn't stand it
but i guess shield users just accept it and "get used to it" after 24 hours?
(2024-03-01, 16:29)Sholander Wrote:
(2024-03-01, 15:54)Nuklear92 Wrote: Another suggestion or recommendation from a long time user experiencing the difference in Upscaling methods between LG OLED TV vs Shield TV and how blurry and less detailed the LG TV upscaler is.

You choose the “Low” within the AI Upscaling options. At lot of people if they’re accustomed to the Medium or High options at first they will see the Low option as a bit blurry. But trust me, after 24hours of only using that option you’ll see it as the most convincing without being to harsh on edges and sharpening will be very similar to a true 4K video without going beyond crazy and looking too artificial.

C1 LG OLED.

Upscaler doesn't even compare, even having the LG's AI Picture Pro + Super Resolution in "High". The Nvidia Shield's AI Upscaler in the "Low" setting still does a more convincing job.
using the TV's upscaler with the options I mentioned, Picture looks more blurry, also LG TV upscaler doesn't upscale text so it looks blurrier as well. There's so many things that you have to play close attention between the two to see the difference. One thing I'll say for sure is that the LG TV's Upsacaler is a bit better in removing unwanted noise from the picture in older content or content in general that is low in bitrate.

I mean, honestly each person will see and perceive picture quality, colors, etc differently. So, in the part of the Upscaling choosing I'd say that's mostly up to the user's decision. I'd wanted to share my recommendation based on my personal experience having the same devices, perhaps from different year since I don't know which LG TV model the OP has neither the Nvidia Shield. What I do highly recommend is whitelisting all of the refresh rate options instead of opting out watching everything in 59.9/60Hz which will lead in minor video playback stutters, depending if the OP watch content in various frame rate which may be 23.9/24Hz, 25/50Hz (international), etc. The Shield in general tends to have a hard time playing back content in 25 or 50 FPS when the  display refresh rate is in 59.9Hz and it tends to stutter a lot. this can be easily replicated just by playing back any video from YouTube that's in 25FPS/50FPS and the display is in (Default) 59.9Hz. switching the display refresh rate to 60Hz then does fixes some of the stuttering for 25/50FPS. However, 23.9 FPS recorded videos which is in the majority movies and tv shows except for a few which occasionally are in 24.00FPS recorded will have a slight minor stutter every few seconds. It's hard to notice it at first if you're really not looking forward to it, but once you see it it will be there and annoy the hell out of you unless you switch back the Display refresh rate back to 59.9Hz and then deal with the stutters that are present with 25/50fps recorded videos as I mentioned above.
(2024-03-01, 17:05)izprtxqkft Wrote:
(2024-03-01, 15:54)Nuklear92 Wrote: at first they will see the Low option as a bit blurry. But trust me, after 24hours of only using that option you’ll see it as the most convincing without being to harsh on edges

are you saying you get used to it being a bit blurry?

being a bit blurry on shield was my experience on every setting, much like wearing glasses that were prescribed for someone else, depending on the setting the prescription changed but still blurry and i couldn't stand it
but i guess shield users just accept it and "get used to it" after 24 hours?

Looks like you didn't understand me, I meant blurry in the sense of not being "overly sharp" as it's in the Medium or High settings regarding the Shield's AI Upscaling options. However, that's a good thing. Because, 4K in general isn't extremely sharp. If of course your TV Picture settings regarding the Sharpness aren't above 10. if your Sharpness is above 10, which is the Default for Cinema, both iSF Day and Night picture as well as Filmmaker option. Then you'll see too much edge enhancement which the Shield's AI Upscaler does by default. If you put you Sharpness in the TV at 0 then, your picture will look dull and blurry. in LG TV's Sharpeness at 10 is equal to 0 in Samsung TVs. But, that's another topic. I was just giving my own personal recommendations as I use my TV with the Shield. It's not obligatory to use the same settings as every person perceive Picture quality and colors differently. However, you could play around and see if they work or look alright to you if not the easiest thing in the world is to ignore a feedback or recommendation from anybody and continue to use what each of us are accustomed to.
(2024-03-01, 17:23)Nuklear92 Wrote: However, you could play around and see if they work or look alright to you

i bought a shield just to test it since everyone seems to rave about how great they are, it went on a shelf on the 2nd day when the fuzziness of the picture couldn't be remedied easily
you're the first i've seen to mention anything like what i was seeing so i chalked it up to mismatch hardware or incorrect settings but it really never had a chance at taking over as my primary device in the first place

(2024-03-01, 17:23)Nuklear92 Wrote: the easiest thing in the world is to ignore a feedback or recommendation from anybody and continue to use what each of us are accustomed to.

it would be a mistake to ignore feedback and recommendations from anyone, in my opinion, everyone has a different experience and a different approach
(2024-03-01, 17:09)Nuklear92 Wrote:
(2024-03-01, 16:29)Sholander Wrote:

C1 LG OLED.

Upscaler doesn't even compare, even having the LG's AI Picture Pro + Super Resolution in "High". The Nvidia Shield's AI Upscaler in the "Low" setting still does a more convincing job.
using the TV's upscaler with the options I mentioned, Picture looks more blurry, also LG TV upscaler doesn't upscale text so it looks blurrier as well. There's so many things that you have to play close attention between the two to see the difference. One thing I'll say for sure is that the LG TV's Upsacaler is a bit better in removing unwanted noise from the picture in older content or content in general that is low in bitrate.

OK, you can say that for yours C1 Oled, but certainly not for all LG TVs. Especially not for G2/3 models which do MUCH better upscaling than any Shield. 
So, when you mention some discrepancy on any device, be specific which is the device you refer to.

Speaking to some Shield owners about upscaling comparison, it looks to me that your TV is out of order, or you are not familiar with it's settings, because they all prefer TV upscaling over Shield's...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to disable kodi scaler which is defaulted to 20%?0