• 8(current)
Computer hardware best suited 720p playback in XBMC today?
What about this:

http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/c...orm/?biz=1

Chris
I'm struggling to find the best set up for a HTPC which can run 720p - I really don't care too much about 1080p my TV only supports 720p and if I get a 1080p set in the future I will look to updating the HTPC then.

I had considered getting a Apple TV but from what I have read it doesn't run everything too well and can be quite slow through the menus.

Ideally I want a C2D and nVidia solution. How powerful does the CPU need to be? I will probably be looking in to get a motherboard which can run audio over HDMI. I don't have a huge sound set-up here so I am not too worried about 5.1 sound etc.
Could any of the experts say something about this system?

Acer Aspire L5100

http://global.acer.com/products/desktop/asl5100.htm

Looks slick and comes at a reasonable price.
-DarkHelmet

I am running its predecessor, the Aspire L100, and I was a little concerned on how it would run. It has an AMD 3800+ X2 CPU and 2 GB memory (I upgraded) and I must say overall I'm very impressed. It runs 720p with no stuttering and considering it is on the 6150LE chipset I find that very cool. Its quiet and very small. I used to have Xbox with all the mods but stepped upto 720p and needed to change. Actually the only real troubles I've had is with XBMC software itself but considering its free and still under development I will forgive it !! ;-)
For me the waiting for an perfect xbmc-htpc-hardware is past:

WD TV
HD Media Player
http://www.westerndigital.com/en/product...riveid=572

Video -MPEG1/2/4, WMV9, AVI (MPEG4, Xvid, AVC), H.264, MKV, MOV (MPEG4, H.264)

- MPEG2/4, H.264, and WMV9 supports up to 1920x1080p 24fps, 1920x1080i 30fps, 1280x720p 60fps resolution

FAT32, NTFS, HFS+ (no journaling)

Bye XBMC :-(

Hello MKV @ standalone Box :-)!

Cheers
Jan
Janolo Wrote:For me the waiting for an perfect xbmc-htpc-hardware is past:

WD TV
HD Media Player
http://www.westerndigital.com/en/product...riveid=572

Video -MPEG1/2/4, WMV9, AVI (MPEG4, Xvid, AVC), H.264, MKV, MOV (MPEG4, H.264)

- MPEG2/4, H.264, and WMV9 supports up to 1920x1080p 24fps, 1920x1080i 30fps, 1280x720p 60fps resolution

FAT32, NTFS, HFS+ (no journaling)

Bye XBMC :-(

Hello MKV @ standalone Box :-)!

Cheers
Jan

I really hope you do not use subtitles when watching moviesSmile and dont mind moving external discs from one place to another Wink

Cheers

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
ReddwarfUSA Wrote:-DarkHelmet

I am running its predecessor, the Aspire L100, and I was a little concerned on how it would run. It has an AMD 3800+ X2 CPU and 2 GB memory (I upgraded) and I must say overall I'm very impressed. It runs 720p with no stuttering and considering it is on the 6150LE chipset I find that very cool. Its quiet and very small. I used to have Xbox with all the mods but stepped upto 720p and needed to change. Actually the only real troubles I've had is with XBMC software itself but considering its free and still under development I will forgive it !! ;-)

Thanks for the reply. Laugh

I guess I'll give the Aspire L5100 a shot.
xbs08 Wrote:I really hope you do not use subtitles when watching moviesSmile

Subtitles works fine, tested "just for you" with the following files:

Heroes.S03E02.720p.HDTV.X264-DIMENSION.mkv
Heroes.S03E02.720p.HDTV.X264-DIMENSION.srt

xbs08 Wrote:and dont mind moving external discs from one place to another Wink

Hmm where is the Problem?

Cheers
I'm sure it works (.srt UTF-8 only i'm afraid) the problem it's how subtitles are shown on screen, a massive font and a huge space beetwean 1st and 2nd line, simply awfull IMO.

No problem at all, i've just to lazy to carry discs around so i prefer the good old ethernet cable or wireless connection.

Cheers.

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
xbs08 Wrote:No problem at all, i've just to lazy to carry discs around so i prefer the good old ethernet cable or wireless connection.

yes ethernet and internal diskspace is nice to have, but for me not a requirement so that "cheap", very compact AND powerfull box is for ME the right solutions and a 2 year long MKV capable unit search ist past :-)
A not so "cheap" (but far better) alternative to the WDTV is the Popcornhour A-110, has dts, ethernet (wireless w/ adapter), NAS, torrent, usb, optical out and supports 720p/1080p.

Janolo Wrote:and a 2 year long MKV capable unit search ist past :-)

So you missed popcorn hour released a year ago or so. Trust me, in a few months you'll still crave an XBMC solution. How do you say it: 'There's just no comparison' ;D
apanloco Wrote:So you missed popcorn hour released a year ago or so. Trust me, in a few months you'll still crave an XBMC solution. How do you say it: 'There's just no comparison' ;D

i know that popcorn, dvico, nmt & co boxes but they don't fill my needs Smile
Janolo Wrote:i know that popcorn, dvico, nmt & co boxes but they don't fill my needs Smile

Judging from specs and reviews popcorn is miles ahead of the WD TV. XBMC imo is miles ahead of the popcorn. Combining XBMC with hardware similar to the popcorn would make it the ultimate box, but XBMC requires x86.
WD TV is very nice solution, lack of ethernet sucks tho. but it is a cheap stand alone box for hd content and firmware is getting better all the time. I am still looking for a cheap small no frills replacement for my xbox. until then, I will probably get a WDHD TV but will miss the xbmc interface...
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Computer hardware best suited 720p playback in XBMC today?3