Kodi 20.4 - pipewire-alsa.x86_64
Hi

How do i get Kodi 20.4 to make use of Pipewire ALSA to play TrueHD and DTS X formats. Previously on Fedora I use to use pasuspender to bypass pulse and use ALSA. However since F39 I am not able to use this. I am currently stuck with Dolby, Dolby ++ and DTS etc, no HD sound.

Looking forward to your input

Thanks
You don't. Not supported on 20.x. Use a v21 nightly. When local alsa configuration is correct, it will work.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Is there a version for Fedora?

https://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Install_Ko...i_packages
Hi rahul_01,

You may find changing the audio engine helpful. Set the environment variable KODI_AE_SINK to "alsa" and restart Kodi. Note: this variable will be replaced by a command argument to the kodi binary in the future. With the environment variable set I have been able to pass through True HD.

Fedora will get Kodi 21 starting with Fedora 41 but possibly with Fedora 40.
(2024-03-12, 06:28)mooninite Wrote:  Note: this variable will be replaced by a command argument to the kodi binary in the future.

Thats interesting news! Do you know maybe when this will happen?
Has been merged into 21 for a while now

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/23148
Hi how do I do this.
I was using pasuspender to force ALSA. However, since upgrading to F39 this didn't work because, the packages has been changed to the below

Installed Packages
pipewire.x86_64                                   1.0.3-1.fc39      @updates               
pipewire-alsa.x86_64                              1.0.3-1.fc39      @updates               
pipewire-codec-aptx.x86_64                        1.0.3-1.fc39      @rpmfusion-free-updates
pipewire-gstreamer.x86_64                         1.0.3-1.fc39      @updates               
pipewire-jack-audio-connection-kit.x86_64         1.0.3-1.fc39      @updates               
pipewire-jack-audio-connection-kit-libs.x86_64    1.0.3-1.fc39      @updates               
pipewire-libs.x86_64                              1.0.3-1.fc39      @updates               
pipewire-pulseaudio.x86_64                        1.0.3-1.fc39      @updates               
pipewire-utils.x86_64                             1.0.3-1.fc39      @updates               
pipewire0.2-libs.x86_64                           0.2.7-10.fc39     @fedora  

Can't wait for Kodi 21. But still a long way F40 or F41 to be released.
Start Kodi with "env KODI_AE_SINK=ALSA kodi" to force the Audioengine to use ALSA.
And hope, that this works out in Fedora. Under Lubuntu Kodi gets quite instable in this mode.
(2024-03-13, 16:32)contadino Wrote: Start Kodi with "env KODI_AE_SINK=ALSA kodi" to force the Audioengine to use ALSA.
And hope, that this works out in Fedora. Under Lubuntu Kodi gets quite instable in this mode.

Hi thanks for this. Ran with CLI as you suggested. But I am getting an error one or more items failed to play. I guess I will have to wait for Kodi 21. Praying that it gets launched soon.
I have pushed an update to Fedora 40 for Kodi 21 RC1, which will mean the final release of v21 will be available for Fedora 40. Fedora 40 is scheduled to be released near the end of April 2024.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi 20.4 - pipewire-alsa.x86_640