Pvr function
Hi everyone, I've been using Kodi as a front end and Mediaportal TV server as a back end for years now. With each release of a new version of Kodi, the fear of compatibility with plugins always arises, including Mediaportal which I would define as essential for those who use Windows. and want to watch free TV, both satellite and digital terrestrial (in truth, there are other back ends but honestly, in my opinion, none can match the Mediaportal TV server). In all these years I have always asked myself and now I also ask the Kodi team... why isn't there its own tuning group without having to use external plugins? I think that live TV is one of the basic features for a Media Center and given the constant problems with third-party plugins (there are very few functioning ones left by now) it would seem appropriate to fill this gap, given the quality level reached today by Kodi .

Marco.
(2024-03-21, 17:04)marcopt Wrote: I think that live TV is one of the basic features for a Media Center

i think live tv is a relic of a bygone era and the world is moving on to streaming services
f.e.
pluto.tv, tubi, youtube tv for all your "live" stuff
as far as a DVR functionality
depending on the show you can subscribe to whatever network and watch the latest episodes of whatever show you're following
hulu carries next day episodes of most shows
all without the added cost of DVR/PVR equipment or the cost of electricity to run them and without the tedious tasks of scheduling or editing out commercials

worst case you can purchase the currently airing season of a show on Prime Video and get the next episode as soon as it airs commercial free
with the added benefit that with no cost of storage you get to keep it for as long as you have your account so you can go back and watch it again 3 years from now
and with far superior quality than a live stream

------

so as long as we're sharing opinions i would rather see Kodi spend effort on things that matter and leave the archaic technologies behind
I fully agree, as far as the future is concerned, streaming certainly is, but not for everything... a news program, a political or social in-depth program, national and more local sporting events are not available or easily available in streaming (And perhaps not even legal). I believe that in any case it is only a question of taste or ideas, certainly not of future/past, also because Kodi has never had native TV management.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Pvr function0