Playback not fluent on watching recordings
Hello,

I am using Kodi Nexus at 2 different stations.

At station one I use a Mini-PC with an Intel N100 and Windows 10 behind a television with 1920x1080 resolution. At this (low performance) station Live-TV and watching recordings runs perfect.

At station two there is a newly installed HTPC with a AMD Ryzen 5 4600G, 16 GB of Ram and a M.2 SSD behind a 4K television on Windows 10. Live-TV is working good, but at watching recordings (DVBViewer client) the playback isn´t always fluent. It´s like for some seconds after start / resume after pause the playback is perfectly fluent and later the playback is not smooth. It´s hard to describe, it looks like frames are missing and when the camera moves or there are scenes with camera panning it doesn´t feel smooth. It can happen that suddenly the playback is smooth again and later it´s not. When I enable Deinterlace at video settings it´s stuttering always and I disabled it.

I somehow have the feeling that it has something to do with the 4K screen and upscaling. The recordings are at 1280x720 (German televison). I tried to "whitelist" this resolution at Kodi settings, but then the whole screen resolution changes and doesn´t fit to screen, because the TV doesn´t support this resolution natively. I used Mediaportal before and never had any problems with not fluent playback. Strange thing also is, that when watching Live-TV with the same resolution of 1280x720 it runs smooth without this stuttering.

I appreciate any help.
Quote:it looks like frames are missing
try turning OSD debug info cntrl+shift+o to see if you're dropping frames. Keyboard controls (wiki) and switch over to software rendering.

--

To receive meaningful assistance you will need to provide a full debug log.

The instructions are here... debug log (wiki)

If you are using the Basic Method, then ensure the following is applied...
1.Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging,
2.Restart Kodi
3.Replicate the problem.
4.Upload the log to Kodi Paste Site manually or use the Kodi Logfile Uploader. (wiki) With either method post the link to the log back here.

If you are using the Advanced Method ensure you have correctly created and applied the advancedsettings.xml file (wiki)

In both instances, you should see the word DEBUG throughout the log.

Note: Full logs only. No partial or redacted logs
Do NOT post your logs directly into the forum. Use the Kodi Paste Site. Post the link to your pasted log in the forum
Thank you for your answer.

I can reproduce the issue. I attached another PC to the 4K television and there is the exact same problem. So it has nothing to do with the PC itself. It has a blank Windows 10, chipset drivers and Kodi installed, nothing else. More things I tried:

1. It has nothing to do with PVR client, when watching the video over video category there is the same problem.
2. When starting a movie the playback runs smooth, then pause and play again - playback stutters, then pause and play again - sometimes fluent sometimes not.
3. When playing the video file through tools like Windows Media Player the playback is always smooth, no matter how often I pause.
4. Tried all the options, nothing seems to really change anything. Only thing when enabling Deinterlace it stutters extremely.
5. When using debug info, I can see that every 2 seconds it switches between 29,3 and 30,3 fps, CPU is at 4% max.
Have you tested the “Adjust refresh rate” setting “When starting/stopping”?

After a lot of testing I now found the solution to the problem with the help of the Debug Info CTRL + SHIFT + O.

I saw that a lot of frames where "skipped" during playback. Some channels in Germany send in 25 fps and some in 50 fps. My screen resolution was set to 4K and 30 hz and I could not go to a higher hz setting. That´s why some Live-TV or recordings where running smooth (25 fps at 30 hz means no frames need to be skipped) and some where stuttering (50 fps at 30 hz means a lot of frames need to be skipped). The main problem was, that I go from PC HDMI to my AV-Receiver and then to the TV. The AV-Receiver is from 2016 and is advertised with "4K Ultra HD passthrough". However, I cannot find any information about it but I believe it only supports 30 hz and not 60 hz or more, because of similar post on other forums.

When connection my PC directly to the TV it now supports 60 hz and during playback of 50 fps media no frames are skipped and the playback is super smooth. One thing I can´t explain, why it was running smooth with Mediaportal or Windows Media Player and not with Kodi.

Because I go directly from PC to TV now, I need to use an optical cable from the TV to the AV for audio. Other solution would be to use a seperate video card with a second HDMI just for video and the onboard HDMI for audio to the AV.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Playback not fluent on watching recordings0