Microsoft Store - Official Version now 21.0 RC (?)
I recently noticed that the Kodi movie database was not updating on my Android TVs.
I realised the reason for this is that my PC Kodi version (installed & managed through the Microsoft Store) has been updated on 20-March-24 from v20 to v21 RC
I use my PC to manage my SQL database for Kodi which is shared with all the other devices.

Is it normal that an RC version is released on the Microsoft Store ?
When will the same version be available through official channels on other devices (iOS, Android ?)

How can I go back to the Official/Stable RC v20.5 through the Microsoft Store?
(2024-03-24, 11:13)Gabbo Wrote: How can I go back to the Official/Stable RC v20.5 through the Microsoft Store?
You can't thru the store.
I suggest uninstalling and then re-install using the .exe from the Download section on this page.
It would be wise to backup the userdata folder first to preserve your settings.
Thanks for the reply!
For now I've installed 20.5 on an old pc to update the database for all the other devices.

It's it normal that the RC version has been put out on the windows store?

I'd expect there to be two offerings (like on the Google store)? An official version & beta/dev version.?
(2024-03-24, 14:42)Gabbo Wrote: It's it normal that the RC version has been put out on the windows store?
Yes.
(2024-03-24, 16:12)Hitcher Wrote:
(2024-03-24, 14:42)Gabbo Wrote: It's it normal that the RC version has been put out on the windows store?
Yes.

This is stupid beyond any recognition. For crying out loud, if someone wants to use RC version, it should not be distributed and installed MANUALLY. Definitely not via official app store channel.
(2024-03-25, 14:38)PVRfreak Wrote:
(2024-03-24, 16:12)Hitcher Wrote:
Yes.

This is stupid beyond any recognition. For crying out loud, if someone wants to use RC version, it should not be distributed and installed MANUALLY. Definitely not via official app store channel.
Typo: Obviously I meant [-]should be distributed and installed MANUALLY[-]
Disable auto-updates on your system.
(2024-03-25, 15:50)Hitcher Wrote: Disable auto-updates on your system.
Being obnoxious isn't very helpful here. Especially, when the harm is already done. Perhaps an adult member of the Kodi team could take over this issue, please.
A Release Candidate to something deemed ready for release so there will be minimal changes to the Final release. If we want to be sure of no specific Xbox bugs we have little option but to push the RC builds to store.
An if you're using Kodi on a PC and doing things like shared libraries you be far better off using the desktop exe version to retain full control of updates.
Problem with this v21 RC is I'm getting 2 different libraries.

On my Xbox Series X you can only install with the Microsoft Store, v21 RC.
All my other (pc) devices are running v20.
You can download and install Omega RC versions (and nightlies as well as stable builds) for Windows too via the normal install route - https://mirrors.kodi.tv/releases/windows/win64/
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Thanks, I know, but I don't want Nightlies or Release Candidates.

Android TV version is also v20.
Why push a RC instead of a final version in the Windows Store?
(2024-03-30, 19:10)kozzie Wrote: Why push a RC instead of a final version in the Windows Store?
(2024-03-25, 17:07)jjd-uk Wrote: A Release Candidate to something deemed ready for release so there will be minimal changes to the Final release. If we want to be sure of no specific Xbox bugs we have little option but to push the RC builds to store.
And if I remember correctly, I don't think it's possible to (at least easily) have a dev channel in the Windows Store.

So the alternative to dropping RC's there would be for any update via that route (e.g. anything to the XBox) would basically be untested in a user-type environment until actual release. Whilst this way certainly isn't ideal, at least it gets some testing in place before a full release.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Microsoft Store - Official Version now 21.0 RC (?)0