Android is my kodi client really configured to passthrough audio
Hello

I have the following setup: 

projector epson eh-ls800 with Android TV 11.0
audio receiver yamaha rx-v6a
Kodi 20.3

The projector is connected to the audio receiver through HDMI eArc. The Yamaha receiver is able to decode all audio formats that I'm interested in, including Dolby Atmos. But I have the impression that all the decoding is currently handled by Kodi and I'd like to have some help to verify this and setup Kodi the right way. I want Kodi to passthrough and let the receiver do all the decoding.

In Kodi Audio decoder setting I have:
Audio output device: AudioTrack (iEC), Kodi IEC packer (can't select anything else, although I beliveve I should be able to select HDMI but it is not listed)
number of channels : 2.0

In Audio Passthrough settings I have : 

Allow passthrough ON
Passthrough output device :  AudioTrack (IEC), kodi IEC packer 
Dolby Digital (AC3) capable receiver : ON  (and also for all the other formats below, i'm not listing them all)

So is this correct ? I feel the audio output device and passthrough output device should be hdmi, no ?

I hope someone can help me configuring kodi the right way for me
Which version of Dolby ATMOS are your videos using, DD+ or TrueHD?

Almost all the devices using "built-in" AndroidTV operating system can't Passthrough full lossless TrueHD/Atmos, usually only lossy DD+/Atmos is allowed, which is what all the streaming services like Netflix use.

For passthrough settings in a perfect world with Android configured correctly then AudioTrack(IEC) setting is the right option, but most AndroidTV devices have not implemented IEC correctly, so AudioTrack(RAW) setting must be used in passthrough options.

Suggestions:
  1. Upgrade KODI to version 20.5 - no reason to still be using Kodi 20.3 - https://mirrors.kodi.tv/releases/android/arm/
  2. Install Keymap Editor from Kodi Add-On repository, it's a Program add-on, with this you can program a remote button to Open Player Process Info while a video is playing to see the CodecInfo. Add-on Workflow: Edit»FullscreenVideo»Windows»OpenPlayerProcessInfo»EditKey»AssignRemoteKey»SAVE»Cancel-to-Exit
  3. Provide a Debug Log for further help, enabling the AUDIO Component under component-specific logging would be beneficial, read how-to provide logs here: https://kodi.wiki/view/Log_file
Hello

First, thank you for the comprehensive reply.

While investigating my issue, I realized I had done something totally foolish. My projector was passing sound to the receiver throught ARC hdmi port but as PCM instead of Auto. Therefore my receiver was never receiving the audio signal as expected, but always PCM. In fact the receiver displays PCM on the front screen, so I should have noticed that before.

Now that I have configured the ARC hdmi port of the projector to Auto, the audio signal is passed to the receiver using the expected format, which is correctly displayed on the receiver (DD+, Atoms, whatever).

So my Kodi settings were probably correct. 

However, after reading your comment, I will try what you suggested, although I don't think I'll be able to tell a difference between lossless atmos and lossy atmos...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
is my kodi client really configured to passthrough audio0