Brightness / Contrast Pointers for ATI Drivers?
Hey guys,

I'm running a ATI HD 2600 in Vista x64 with the latest ATI 8.9 Drivers. I've noticed a lot of video comes out extremely dark.

Anyone have any pointers for how to adjust the brightness/contrast/Gamma in Windows and have it actually affect XBMC?

None of the driver settings in the Catalyst Control Panel seem to affect video in XBMC, except AVIVO Color Saturation. The brightness/contrast affect Windows, and the On Screen Menu, but not the video itself. Avivo Contrast/Brightness don't seem to affect anything.

Is this something that I'm going to need to adjust with Powerstrip?
Have you tried the video settings in XBMC's OSD? Hit "m" when video is playing in full screen, then (in the default skin) nav up once to the video settings, from here you can change all kinds of stuff.
Are you sure contrast/brightness options still exist? In PM3.HD skin, I'm in a movie. I hit M, I get the cross shaped controller. I go up once to Video settings, and I see the following:

Interlaced Handling
Video Scaling Method
Crop Black Bars
View Mode
Zoom Amount
Pixel Ratio
Set as Default for All Movies
Video Calibration

I know the brightness/contrast used to exist on the Xbox version, but I can't find it in Windows if it's still there.
imo you should be adjusting these on your display device rather than your player

the easiest way to calibrate your screen is to turn your display's contrast and brightness up to 100% .... leave the contrast @ 100 and reduce the brightness until you have something you're happy with

for a more accurate result, get any THX enhanced dvd and run the video calibration tool on it (usually on disc 2)

for an even more accurate result, contact a video technician at a store near you and ask them to bring their gear out and calibrate your entire room Smile
fanclub Wrote:the easiest way to calibrate your screen is to turn your display's contrast and brightness up to 100% .... leave the contrast @ 100 and reduce the brightness until you have something you're happy with

Oh man that is SO wrong. I see someone hasn't watched the AVIA home theater setup DVD. :p

I suppose there's a good possibility that these haven't been implemented on win32 yet.
i guess if you have access to said dvd you wouldnt use 'guestimation' techniques like that

but if you do the 100% contrast and adjust brightness only, you're certainly better off than using stock config
For my setup, (projector), I only have one HDMI cable running to it from a AV Receiver that all my inputs go into. The MCE PC is a lot darker than say my Xbox, or DirecTV. Unfortunately the AV Receiver doesn't maintain distinct values per input otherwise I would adjust there. I heard the best place to start with calibration is the source (MCE PC).
althekiller Wrote:I suppose there's a good possibility that these haven't been implemented on win32 yet.

Not that I'm aware off but if you can point my to the code lines I'll have a look.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Brightness / Contrast Pointers for ATI Drivers?0