Android Frame Rate Switching disables AI Upscaling on Shield TV Pro (2019)
Like in the title, when I use Refresh Rate switching, AI upscaling says it’s not required even though it’s a 1080p Playback on a 4K TV.

If I don’t use refresh rate switching, the video files can be a stutter mess.
Not sure if this setting is purposefully disabling AI Upscaling or not, but I didn’t read about it anywhere else.

I’m on 21.0.
This happens on other builds as well.
Not sure how to edit, but I changed other stuff as well.
Whitelisting all except 4K resolutions and refresh rates etc.
(2024-04-10, 15:13)thedogmaniac Wrote: Whitelisting all except 4K resolutions and refresh rates etc.

It should be the other way around. You need to whitelist ONLY the 4K resolutions if you want the Shield's AI upscaling to kick in when playing lower resolution material.

To clarify: The issue is not with refresh rate switching, it's with resolution switching. If you allow Kodi to switch to 1080p output for example, it will switch the output resolution of the HDMI port to 1080p. That will prevent the Shield from doing its AI upscaling magic. Therefore, you need to set the Shield's output resolution to 4K and make sure Kodi will not switch to a lower resolution (by whitelisting only the 4K resolutions). You can still keep using refresh rate switching.
(2024-04-11, 00:01)MrMagic Wrote:
(2024-04-10, 15:13)thedogmaniac Wrote: Whitelisting all except 4K resolutions and refresh rates etc.

It should be the other way around. You need to whitelist ONLY the 4K resolutions if you want the Shield's AI upscaling to kick in when playing lower resolution material.

You can still keep using refresh rate switching.

Well I did exactly that a while ago, that didn’t work, “AI Upscaling not needed”.

I ignored the whitelist, I whitelisted all resolutions, I whitelisted only the 4K resolution, I whitelisted everything except the 4k res’s.

Only after disabling refresh rate switching did it work again.

But it’s late now, I’ll try again tomorrow, maybe I’m remembering incorrectly, even though I’m pretty sure I did all that without it working.

I’ll test tomorrow and reply here ^^.
Okay I guess I finally lost my mind.

Today I did exactly what you said, and it works without issues. Probably did something wrong back then, or I did have files that are unsupported by AI-Upscaling.
Thanks for the help!

I do want to know, there isn't any option or setting in Kodi to make AI-Upscaling somehow work for a 10-bit AVC file?
Plex just transcodes to 8-Bit, so it's no wonder it works there, but in Kodi it's 10-Bit, so I am wondering if there is even a remote possibility to "simulate" or just upscale another way specifically for 10-Bit AVC files?

Because I want every media file under 4k to be AI-Upscaled by the Shield Pro.
Just wondering if Kodi has a setting to specify which file shouldn't be whitelisted or something.

Hope I am making sense^^
Which TV are you using with Shield Pro?
Are you sure that Shield does better upscaling than your 4K TV, since it's generally known that AI Shield's upscaling over sharpens (introduces artificial sharpness) content and introduces artifacts on almost all content? 

C/P from AVS Forum:
"BTW, there is nothing "AI" about the Nvidia's so called AI upscaling on the Shield. It's not DLSS but they indirectly marketed as so just to trick people to believe that their upscaling is done by AI learning. It has nothing of that. The underlying algorithm is still Lanczos + a ton of edge enhancement determined by Low, Medium or High. What's confusing is that the Shield does not apply an anti-ringing filter when set to Medium or High, makes no sense."
(2024-04-11, 00:01)MrMagic Wrote:

To clarify: The issue is not with refresh rate switching, it's with resolution switching. If you allow Kodi to switch to 1080p output for example, it will switch the output resolution of the HDMI port to 1080p. That will prevent the Shield from doing its AI upscaling magic. Therefore, you need to set the Shield's output resolution to 4K and make sure Kodi will not switch to a lower resolution (by whitelisting only the 4K resolutions). You can still keep using refresh rate switching.

I had the same problem thanks for the advice.
I’m using an LG G2.
In my experience, the LG Upscaling doesn’t do anything, haven’t noticed any improvement vs. the Shield.

I personally prefer the Shields Upscaling (I use it on the Low preset), but I do appreciate the sharing of the AVS Forum info ^^.
But I then could make the TV or Kodi upscale the Video when 10Bit AVC isn't supported right? I'm just wondering how.
(2024-04-12, 09:44)thedogmaniac Wrote: But I then could make the TV or Kodi upscale the Video when 10Bit AVC isn't supported right? I'm just wondering how.

All exact resolutions/frame rates found in Whitelist, Kodi passes through as such (does not do anything with them, or should not) and then your TV is doing necessary upscaling.
Why it should not do that with (only?) 10Bit AVC is not clear to me...
Because 10-Bit AVC is unsupported by Shield Upscaling. And I’d like those to be upscaled as well.
So I’m just asking for options, if there aren’t any that’s fine as well.

And I’m talking options that don’t mean I should just use 8-Bit or HEVC, I’m just wondering about this specific situation. ^^
(2024-04-12, 12:44)thedogmaniac Wrote: Because 10-Bit AVC is unsupported by Shield Upscaling. And I’d like those to be upscaled as well.
So I’m just asking for options, if there aren’t any that’s fine as well.

Since Shield does not support it, your TV upscaler is your only/best option Wink
Okay that’s fine I guess.
This is probably not exactly kodi related, but if I enable Upscaling on my tv it should automatically activate when the shield doesn’t do it right?

This would be my last question, sorry to be a bother ^^.
Your TV is automatically (no need to enable anything) doing upscaling for any received format that is not 4K. Otherwise you'd see 1920x1080 video only in 1/4 of display area, like this.
Okay thanks, I thought it did something more magical, like the AI Picture Pro thing or smth, never noticed anything different.

But that’s fine, thanks for all your help!

Have a nice weekend!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Frame Rate Switching disables AI Upscaling on Shield TV Pro (2019)0